PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just wondering what the consensus is on the first step in removing cake from a bowl and light buffing of the outside in a briar pipe. I've looked for some threads to lead me in the right direction but get differing advice.
My friend has expressed interest in some estate pipes and I'd like to give them a little refresh before I give them over.
Here's my plan of attack gleaned from several sources:
Removing the cake

Soaking / rubbing the bowl with rubbing alcohol or vodka and a paper towel.
burn marks on rim

Finest sandpaper I can get and sanding very lightly
polishing outside bowl

Same sandpaper method if necessary, and then a wood polish
stem

Soaking in rubbing alcohol or vodka to free the airway, then Plastix polish
It seems like everyone knows how to do this already but me!
One of the pipes in question:

Ys3XL44.jpg

Thank you oh pipe refinishing masters :worship:
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Alcohol to remove cake? No. You might want an alcohol-salt treatment to remove odors from previous owner, but I'd try very hot water on everything first, inside and out.
And don't use sandpaper except as a last resort.
Can you show a photo of the chamber? Is the airway blocked now or will it take a small pipe cleaner?

This sounds like a pretty serious maintenance checklist. Is this a pipe that you've been smoking or an estate pipe that you are prepping?

As soon as I get an estate, I plop it into a jar of acetone, and then alcohol for a few days of soaking. But, it doesn't really do much to the cake.

Also, I am pretty serious about removing all traces of everything from all of my estates. I even prefer to re-stain them myself, sometimes reshaping the bowl, boring out the shank, etc... At that point, I also like to remove all nomenclature, because I consider the pipe totally mine. And, so that Georged does come along and shake his dogmatic and damning finger at me.

It's your pipe, and you can do what you want.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the responses!
There's alot of conflicting information out there. I thought that alcohol would loosen the tars of the cake and guide easier to remove? On this particular pipe, I cannot put a pipe cleaner inside. I was hoping to clear it with the aforementioned alcohol. But simple hot water is a good place to start.
Also I'm not looking to do a full restore. I know enough to know what I don't know! I just want to shine it up a bit and clean enough to use.
Yes I saw georged's post too and thought it a cautionary tale. The ones I want to clean are inexpensive and not particularly rare!

I would suggest using sandpaper on the inside of the bowl. If it is caked up too severe, then you may want to think about investing in a reamer. But, reamers have buggered up many a pipe in the hands of some folks. I think that alcohol that might splash out onto the pipe would end up destroying your stain and finish. I only use it sparingly with cotton balls if just removing a ghost, or use it to totally nuke the finish to start over.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
jpmcwjr's advice is based on experience. Personally, I'd use isopropyl alcohol on the rim because it's such a good solvent, but someone other than jpmcwjr recommended soaking it in water too. If the stem is vulcanite, I'd be careful with the alcohol. Test it on a small spot to see how it reacts with the stem. I would, however, dampen a pipe cleaner with alcohol and insert it into the stem for a prolonged soak.
Black coffee, lemon or lime juice, and even saliva (ugh!) have been mentioned as cleaners.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I've had good results with using everclear or 151 in the inside of the bowl to soften hard to remove cake. It turns to a softer putty consistency and is much easier to remove with the blade of a czech tool, since I don't own reaming tool. Don't get alcohol on the finish. I also don't put anything inside the chamber or stem that I wouldn't drink on it own. Oh, spit and elbow grease will work on the rim with a cotton cloth. Good luck!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Assuming that you're not planning to restain and remodel the pipes and are merely doing a bit of cosmetic clean up, here's the following that I would suggest:
CAKE: If the cake is thick, use a reamer, like a Pipnet, to trim it back. Do this carefully so as not to gouge the walls of the chamber. Don't bother with alcohol in the chamber at this point.
CLEANING THE AIRWAY: Buy a few shank brushes and a whole lot of pipe cleaners of various types including tapered - bristle and not bristled, fluffies, and regular - bristled and not bristled. Start with the shank brush and a neutral spirit and scrub out the shank airway. Keep rinsing the shank brush in the neutral spirit between scrubbings. Move on to tapered bristle pipe cleaners that have been dipped in a neutral spirit and continue the process. You're done when the pipe cleaner comes out clean.
Next, clean out the mortise. I often fold up a fluffie to make a thicker shape, dip it in alcohol, then twist it into the mortise and let it sit there for 20-30 minutes. That will soften some of the deposits in the mortise.

Follow by scrubbing out the mortise with doubled up tapered bristles and fluffies until the mortise is clean. For tougher deposits in the mortise, use a dental pick, just be careful and patient.
Soak a regular pipe cleaner in alcohol, inset it into the stem airway and leave it for 20-30 minutes to soften deposits. Then scrub the stem airway with regular pipe cleaners until they come out clean. Don't neglect to scrub out the slot in the bit as well.
If, after all of this, the pipe still smells of stale tobacco, or ghosts of tobaccos past, then perform a salt and alcohol treatment. This you can find described online, so no need to repeat it here. If the S&A treatment doesn't work to remove tobacco ghosts then use a boiling alcohol retort treatment. This will pull out any resistant rancid oils from the wood surrounding the airway, as well as the chamber walls.
EXTERIOR: To remove rim build up use either saliva or cold coffee and a rag. Don't sand it. Spit or coffee works fine to dissolve tar and carbon deposits. If you have scorch marks, you might be able to abrade some of it with a coarser micromesh pad, but it's very easy to remove the finish if you're not careful and then you are in the refinishing business.
If you really know how to properly use a buffer, (and I' only met a handful who actually did and many who are delusional about their skills...) then buff away to your heart's content. If you don't own a buffer, buy a jar of both Halcyon and Paragon waxes, which will give you a very nice polish without needing a buffer.
Cleaning the exterior of the stem requires different approaches depending on how badly the stem has oxidized.
If the stem is basically in good shape then a metal polish, like simichrome, will add a nice topping off to the surface.

If the stem is really orange my advice is to have a new one made. But assuming that you are determined to rescue the corpse you can start by soaking it in a diluted solution of Oxyclean for a couple of hours, or longer. If you like pitting your surface, use bleach. Either way, you will still have to remove the damaged material by sanding it off, which is why I don't bother with bleach or oxyclean. I'm gonna have to sand off the oxidized material anyway. You can use a buffer to remove material, assuming that you are one of the very few people on the face of the planet who actually knows how to properly use a buffer, or you can buy a set of Micromesh sanding pads and return your stem to a black glass-like luster. Just work the pads from coarsest to finest and your stem will look like new, and you will get some much needed physical exercise.
Your friend will be thrilled by your thoughtful largess. Or, you can do what I do. Toss the grungy stink bombs in a box, dump them with your friend and let the lazy bum clean them up!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Also, I am pretty serious about removing all traces of everything from all of my estates. I even prefer to re-stain them myself, sometimes reshaping the bowl, boring out the shank, etc... At that point, I also like to remove all nomenclature, because I consider the pipe totally mine.
As always, this is all very good advice from Michael.

I would add few other suggestions:
Brake Cleaner. If it cleans brake dust and carbon on brakes, why not tobacco dust and carbon on pipes?
Lighter Fluid. The best way to remove carbon is with heat. I soak the bowl (never the stem) in Zippo fluid for several hours, then set it on fire. How satisfying, hearing that carbon crackle and pop.
Febreeze. This stuff really works! I had a few estates ghosted with 1Q. I sprayed them down with liberal amounts of Febreeze, now I can't smell the 1Q at all! Don't you just wish that Lane made a Febreeze-scented tobacco?

Tomato Juice
. I figured if it removes skunk, it will remove Ennerdale. It did, mostly. I will say that tomato is an overlooked pipe tobacco topping.
Cake. What's best for getting rid of that old cake? New cake! I pack the bowl with a nice, buttery birthday cake, being sure to get a good amount of icing in there. Leave it for a week, let the butter and baking powder do their thing. Then enjoy. You've never really eaten desert until you try Latakia-encrusted pound cake.
2v2us6hAnx3L6Bn.jpg

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Dear Lord...

Never, ever, ever, ever use sandpaper on the bowl exterior. Same goes for surgical spirit.

As Sable said above, you go with wax and hard manual labor.
I am not a big fan of estate pipes, but if one catches my eye and find place in my collection then I ream the cake from it to the freaking end/bottom. I other words I usually remove all the cake till I see the briar beneath, and regardless of the reamer, the last before the last step in this process is to use (very gently) a piece of sandpaper.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Never, ever, ever, ever use sandpaper on the bowl exterior."
Why on earth not? When I was refurbishing pipes I got through sheets and sheets of sandpaper...from 400 grit to 3,000 grit. I'd cut it with a guillotine into strips about 10mm wide and 50mm long and it worked a treat in preparation to moving onto micromesh sanding pads.
Regards,
Jay.

I had suggested sandpaper on the bowl interior, not exterior, in lieu of a reamer. However, if one wants to sand their pipes, I say go for it. We've had members who have rusticated their smooth pipes and sanded smooth their rusticated pipes, changed the colors of their pipes, and even change the bowl shape. A definite and dogmatic "don't" should never be seen in a forum, IMO.

You wanna use a chainsaw on your 1933 Dunhill, we will cheer you on. Go for it!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm in Jay's camp on the sandpaper issue -- so long as you're not restoring a collectible that would be more valueable if left alone. I purchased two pipes online, a Butz-Choquin and a Rattray's, not knowing that they were finished with lacquer. After some years I decided to remove the lacquer finish with sandpaper just to see if it would improve the smokes (it did, IMO). The process was remarkably easy, and a plain carnauba wax finish sealed the wood. A beautiful patina developed. It turned out that the Rattray's was a 360° flame-grain that was dark-stained and lacquered merely to hide several small fills.

rattraynewleft.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sandpaper, if used wisely and of the correct grit grade for the particular task in hand is absolutely fine. I've never diminished any nomenclature stamps nor have I ruined any pipes.
Yes I've had to restain stummels but I knew that from the onset.
Slow and steady are the rules for pipe refurbishing.
Regards,
Jay.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Admiral must be speaking about possible damage to a finish, and doesn't know about the really fine grit pads used for polishing a pipe. :mrgreen:

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Exactly.

Unless you wanna take down part of the finish for any reason or do something funky with it, I dont think anyone would have to use sandpaper regardless of the grit grade.

Some gentle buffing with wax should be more than enough when it comes for regular pipe maintenance :)
Of course thats my personal opinion, everyone is free to do whatever he likes :)
@Sable,

It was not you that suggested sandpaper on the exterior, it was mentioned by Mike in the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.