PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Can a soft flame scorch a briar's rim? Please take a look at the picture below.

I've never used torch lighers, only matches and soft flames, but sometimes the soft flame touches the rim.
Is this carbon cake or scorched rim?
42392454_186123242273947_2334040955570618368_n.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What jpm said. If you truly scorch the rim, it is not reversible. Cleaning won't cause the briar to grow back. Another good reason to learn on a couple of cobs.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That could just be soot. Wet the rim with saliva or coffee and wipe with a paper towel.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One thing I do is wet the rim with a bit of spit before applying the flame. It gives you an extra moment do perform your lighting up. Also, keep your flame an inch or so above the rim when lighting up. I haven't scorched any rims so far.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
One thing I do is wet the rim with a bit of spit before applying the flame. It gives you an extra moment do perform your lighting up.
I hadn't thought to do this but it seems a sound bit of advice. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I've found saliva works best for cleaning rims that have been scorched. I just spit on a paper towel and twist the pipe back and forth over the saliva and it removes most of the charring on the rim.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing' and warren, etc. +1. Just starting out, expect some char on the brim, even with careful lighting. I think many devoted pipe smokers will char some or most of their pipes, from distraction or enthusiasm to get that first puff. If you get high-end or just favorite pipes you want to preserve, take special care, but as a beginner, and after that, don't fret too much about a bit of char. It can be a sign you're enjoying the pipe.

There are potential three things that can happen on the rims that get confused with each other. Char is where you’ve burned the finish or the wood. Soot is where you get some carbon from the yellow “carburizing” yellow flame (welders term for the type of fire we use) of a lighter or (soft flame). And, creep is when the cake or tars in the chamber edge up the rim, being pulled by the heat of the flame. Char, soot, and creep.

Soot is the easiest to remove, but creep requires a little acid from spit or coffee to remove it. Char, you’ve messed your pipe up. But, as Sable points out. If it’s a problem for you, run a little spit along the rim before lighting.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@Cosmic And which of these 3 problems do you think the rim has? Sorry if you identified it in your text and I didn't get it.

I can't tell. But, if you spit on a rag and wipe the rim down really well, and if that doesn't work, try some cold coffee on a rag. If that doesn't do it, then it's char. Just eliminate the possibilities.

I will sometimes use an old toothbrush on the rim. On smooth rims, I have a piece of leather tacked across a board, suede side up, and I will spit on it and rub the pipe rims down really well across the board.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@Cosmic Here is what it looks like now. I tried the coffee rag thing on the rim and this is the pipe now (cleaned with pipe cleaners and paper towel too).
A lot of black stuff was removed but I think it's charred (there's also a clear "scar" that won't go out")...
44872054_569777643480353_1479286135170531328_n.jpg

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Pretty sure it's charred but it doesn't look awful with the pipes finish. I'm thinking your pulling the flame over the rim to light. Try holding the flame over and above the tobacco barely touching and keep the flame off the rim.. also just use as little fire as needed to light... also in response to your other threads I think you need at least one other pipe to let the Sav. Rest a little. You can get a cheaper briar or I also suggest getting a cheap cob I think you will enjoy it. They take more abuse and such..

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@eggrollpiper Thanks for the advice! Definitely going to purchase a corncob or another briar! Probably a corncob because it looks different.
Is it true that sometimes cobs tastes like "sickness" though?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I think the charring doesn't look so bad because my pipe is rusticated.
Does it have any practical negative impact?

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Sickness? Not exactly sure what that means. I bought a bag of seconds from MM a few weeks ago. All the pipes are excellent smokers from the first bowl and I never got any bad tastes at all. Some people have said they can taste the cob until it’s broken in but I couldn’t.
“Seconds” are pipes with slight blemishes and are sold at a reduced price. I bought a bag of 7 pipes for $26. Most of them looked perfect and I couldn’t even find the so called blemishes.
Super cheap, great smokers and no big deal if you accidentally scorch the rim. I love my cobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.