Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

By Request, The Restoration Of My Masterson Freehand.

(28 posts)
  1. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

This was a brutal restoration. First I had to remove a varnish type finish from all the wood. I soaked the bowl and shank in grain alcohol for 48 hours. I then scrubbed the now softened varnish off with alcohol and a soft cloth. I removed the 2mm of old nasty cake from the bowl. The stem was brown and looked like hell. I used polishing compound and a lot of elbow grease to get it back to shiny black. Then I applied 2 coats of Carnuaba wax to the briar and hand buffed it with a soft cloth. No power tools of any kind were used to bring this pipe back from the dead. I should have took close up before pix because the pix I have are from the actual auction I won the pipe from. The after pix do it no justice. I couldn't get the shine from the briar to come through. The lines in the pipe are not cracks. They are in the design of the bowl. Here it is, as request. My now cleaned up Masterson Freehand. Not a bad pipe for a pipe that came free with a tin of Prince Albert tobacco in the 70's-80's.
    I will learn to resize pix someday. lol I resized them on photobucket, but they always show up big.

There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live.
    -Moliere
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. sjpipesmoker

sjpipesmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice turnout!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. wolfie90

wolfie90

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe and a really good job. The razor in the background scares me lol

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job! Love the shot on the keyboard.

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice work! I love a free pipe.

Al

Posted 6 years ago #
  6. vespertillio

vespertillio

Login to Send PM

Good save sir!

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. nightmarejones

nightmarejones

Login to Send PM

Nice job.

Posted 6 years ago #
  8. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

The razor is from the auction pic. I didn't take it. lol I hijacked it. I will take pics in natural sunlight so the shine comes out. I just couldn't get a good shot. Thanks for the kind words...

Posted 6 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good job, enjoy!

Posted 6 years ago #
  10. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice Shawn!

Posted 6 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice work, Shawn!

Posted 6 years ago #
  12. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shawn:

Lovely work breathing life back into this Israeli burner.

I picked up a Masterson several weeks ago and it really looks like hell.

You're reclamation job just prompted me to make mine my very next project. You did a swell job, friend. Unfortunately, I can't come close to the pretty grain you've got in your pipe.

Don't let anybody knock the old coupon/free tobacco pipes. I've got several and they're excellent smokers.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 6 years ago #
  13. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

I haven't smoked mine yet. I dropped it in a jar of Grain alcohol to remove the coating for 2 days. I am giving it 2 days to dry out. Thanks Fnord!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  14. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow that is a whopper

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 6 years ago #
  15. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice restore. And you have a pipe bearer!

Squire bring me my pipe!

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great work Shawn. I am always amazed at how people can restore a pipe. Looks like it will be a great smoker for you. Congrats.

Harris
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Yea Jah, My boys ghey like to help me fix them up. It is a bigun dave!!! Thanks Cigrmaster!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

Nice job! I too acquired a beat up dirty Mastersen. It took a soak in oxyclean, a few hours of elbow grease with a cloth & wax, a dozen pipe cleaners and the sacrifice of some Slivovitz to bring it back to life. Well worth it though, a gorgeous pipe that is super light but packs an hour's worth of tobacco.

Here's the before & after.

Chris.

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. winterland

winterland

Login to Send PM

Nice job to both.

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. baronsamedi

baronsamedi

Black House Whore

Login to Send PM

Great saves, guys! Another great pipe saved from the bone yard!

Proud Member of the Blackblood Society Photobucket
    Posted 6 years ago #
  21. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful recovery, Chris. You did well.

I'm curious about your appreciation of slivovitz. That's a pretty unusual drink this side of the Atlantic. How did you develop a taste for it?

Posted 6 years ago #
  22. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Our city has a large cultural festival, and many countries set up pavilions around town, showcasing their culture, food and drink. I spent a very good night with many friends in the Slovakian pavilion. The first round of slivovitz was rough, by the third we were hooked.

Posted 6 years ago #
  23. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work Shaw and Chris. Those are beauties.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 6 years ago #
  24. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Very nice Chris!!!! I've been eyeing Mastersons since I first saw them and had to have one. I have never seen one with that kind of rustication. Beautiful!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  25. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

Thanks Shawn! I knew I had to have it once I saw the shape and luckily there wasn't any competition on the auction so I got for a steal. Here's a picture that shows off the finish a little more, it's a gorgeous pipe.

Google image search shows there's been a couple Mastersen's with a similar finish so I can only suggest you keep an eye out!

Posted 6 years ago #
  26. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Freakin sweet man!!! I like yours better than mine. I put like 3 more coats of wax on mine and it looks a lot better. It has dome dings on it that I'm just stuck with though. Better than having fills. Fills drive me insane. I got all the pipes and tools you see in the top 2 pix for 9.99 and the one is a GBD it was 17.99 shipped for all 3 pipes, the tools and the reamer. I am going to collect Mastersons. You can get them for under 20 bucks and the look and smoke great. Light weight for their size. I read that the lighter weight the briar, The better it will smoke. Great pipe brother!!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  27. shawn622

shawn622

Knucklehead

Login to Send PM

Hey Cgrg, I take that back. I just saw a masterson that not as nice as either of outs for 70 bucks. Hmmmm. Gives me an idea

Posted 6 years ago #
  28. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

Hahaha, well, if you need someone to take the fall for your PAD, you can blame me

Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   redglow, eltice, jerardpaul, ashdigger, sablebrush52, ben88, jaytex969, agnosticpipe, morgansteele, warren, trouttimes, bazungu, haparnold, canucklehead, chasingembers, spider61, anthonyrosenthal74, mau1, recluse, vorgath, timt, scloyd, carolinachurchwarden, scottfree, shind0, mikefu, alialansari