PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kais1

Lurker
Jun 3, 2016
anyone know of a good a cheap source for pipe tobacco in the uk?
and also does anyone ever order from outside the uk?
how does that work...how much VAT do you have to pay if i was to order in from USA?

jasongvl

Lurker
Feb 11, 2016
Kent, England
GQ tobaccos generally are the best priced, but can go out-of-stock easily because of the popularity.

3 other people I have ordered off of and generally, are good service (all-be-it slightly more expensive).
cgarsltd.co.uk

www.thebackyshop.co.uk

mysmokingshop.co.uk
But I have also ordered from outside the UK from the States for tobaccos that you cannot obtail in UK and 4noggins.com hasn't steered me wrong yet! Even if you do get caught for VAT it will still work out about the sameish price as UK.
TIP: DO NOT ORDER TO THE UK FROM THE EU!!!!! The tobacco laws from within the EU are absolutely s**t!! I have had a package stopped before and confiscated- without the request to pay tax!!! I had to write to customs pleading my case, pay loads in fines, VAT, duty and fees and ended up working out over £80.00!!! (not including the initial cost of tobacco).
HTH

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I only use GQTobaccos to order blends that's cant bought here in the States, no VAT charge and usually about $20 for shipping.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I live in England and use thebaccyshop exclusivley as they pack well and deliver really quick.
Cheap doesn't exist in the UK and ordering from abroad over certain ammounts (not sure exactly) from sellers you will have to make up the additional vat/tax costs plus a shipping and handling fee of £12 as it's from outside the EU.
But if you have an Amerifreind who could send you a bunch as a gift you'd buypass some of the vat and tax, depending on weight but still have to pay handling fees. It's a frigging con, mail services are day time robbers mate.
Easier to buy local and phone around baccy shops to see if they can stock American blends.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Easier to buy local and phone around baccy shops to see if they can stock American blends."
Samon, I asked a local B&M (Newquay, Cornwall)if he could supply certain American blends and he told me many are not allowed to be (officially) imported due to their 'dubious' contents!
I was after trying Frog Morton but now know I never shall as that was one such tobacco.
Regards,
Jay.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I have a feeling that's kind of bullshit tbh, most tobaccos that can't be imported by offical distibutors and tobbacconists are usually that way due to packaging. In the UK tobbacco needs to be packages a certain way with full labels and warnings etc, hence why we can't get Condor plug in the shops, even though it's only in Ireland a short way away.
American blends and American brands etc don't need to comform to such high scrutiny in warnings and packaging due to no universal health care system and thus much lower taxes on baccy, booze etc.
If you do want a tin or two of American baccy you will likely need to import it from an EU seller or directly from America. Or.. make a friend voer the pond and get him to send you a bunch as a 'gift'. Yo'll still get fingered by improt duties and handling fees or around £13 and maybe subject to additional taxes on the baccy over a certain weight.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Samon, I am only repeating what was said to me.
Regards Condor plug, that's another I wish to try (great Condor RR & LC fan) but I never knew that was why I couldn't find it.
Here in deepest Cornwall B&M shops are a bit thin on the ground :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.