PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
Having just realized the price of tobacco here is very expensive, I am thinking of maybe buying tobacco in bulk from the states, once I find a blend I like, because I think even after shipping, customs, and dutys, it should be much cheaper, than buying domestically, especially after November when "plain packaging" comes in causing another price increase.
I'm just unsure if it's legal/permitted to do so, I hope you can and you just have shipping, customs charges, and maybe duties to pay.
Can anyone weigh in on this idea?

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Yes legal to buy. Taxes vary from province to province. There is no amount that is tax exempt through mail. Get the Canada Post app so you know how much duty is owed before it comes to your door. Biggest piece of advice is don’t refuse shipment due to taxes. Retailers will stop shipping to us like P&C did. Expect roughly $20 per tin duty. If you are assessed less then consider it a win.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Duty is per weight. Peck broke down the exact taxation rate in a thread a year or so ago. Easiest thing is to order 8 ounces (8 1oz sample sizes of different blends to try) and see how much duty you get. It’s about 4 tins so expect somewhere around $80.

twiggy

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2019
Niagara Falls
That's a major bummer.
I guess a good rule of thumb is, have whatever it costs, as well as shipping, and it's duty in your budget.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
smokingpipes.com, tobaccopipes.com, and 4noggins.com will all ship to canada. Don't order 900 tins because it will cost you a zillion dollars to import it. But keep the orders reasonable, 2 or 3 tins, and if you get hit for the taxes it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

bbownes

Lurker
Jun 29, 2019
I’m from Edmonton Alberta area.

I hear you can order no more then200g or taxes may be added. To chicken to find out.

Been spending my times visit tobacconists all around trying to find the old and aged.

$45-60 a tin is rough though

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
I’m smoking my first bowl full of Cult Blood Red Moon. Quite enjoying it also got a tin of moontrance and autumn evening. Guess you could say I’m into aros

Status
Not open for further replies.