PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smedasaurus

Lurker
Jul 3, 2015
I plan on purchasing the savinelli arcobaleno blue 626 smooth in the near future. I am a big supporter of the smaller mom and pop stores and I am looking for some suggestions on some of the better ones to buy from online and even which sites to stay away from.

rh66

Lurker
Jul 8, 2015
smedasaurus,
You could check out www.milantobacco.com. I know they sell the Savinelli line although not sure about this specific pipe. Check out their site and give them a call. Great little shop in Roanoke Virginia and always pleasant to speak with.
Rex

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I am also a strong advocate of mom & pops shops. It's downright unamerican to buy on line when there is any other option. But the fact remains that for many smokers today that just isn't an option. Of course they cost more, they have overhead, but they're worth it. I would recommend going over all the sponsors offerings first. They are, to the best of my limited experience, the best and safest you can deal with while on line. If they offer nothing to float your boat, then maybe you don't belong here. I know I could spend this year's allowance by lunch, any day of the week. As you gain knowledge you will be able to branch out from that list. Although I have no idea why you would. Have all kinda of fun. Greg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least a quarter of my stable of pipes were bought at local shops, independent and chain, and about a quarter were bought from my favorite in-state carver who is both talented and extremely moderate in prices. Online is a powerful temptation because they offer so many pipes, and because you can shop far and wide in a single evening, and take advantage of sales that pop up, as they come along, you really can satisfy your exact shape/weight/finish/stem ideas, often as not. When I buy from my carver, recently he will have something in mind to offer, and after looking at everything else first, I'll buy what he suggests. He just knows my collection by intuition. Last year it was a superb little pot pocket pipe, compact but not too small. He had many nice offerings, but that was it.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I echo Greg's comments. With respect to purchasing online I prefer doing business with outfits that display pictures of the actual pipe that's being purchased--less chance of buyers remorse. Though I've not had a bad expereince with any of the major onlline retailers, some of whom have been willing to negotiate on the price. There's also a lot of value to be had from some of the lesser known carvers, I have a Clark Layton that's a wonderful smoker, plus it was made to my specs. I know you didn't ask about estate pipes but I'd be remiss by not mentioning Mike at Briar Blues, with a little patience you may find what you are looking for at a great price.
I do support my local B&M with occasional tobacco purchases, even though the selection is limited and it costs more, but I do feel better about supporting the locals.
Best of luck and enjoy the hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.