PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Happy Friday, all!
I am currently communicating with a seller on eBay regarding a lot of pipes I bid on, one of them being listed as a Dunhill. The pictures aren't great but from what I can see, it may be another "Shell" stamped Bruyere. He said someone else expressed concern and told me to try and get the pipes cheap, or, if the price goes too high, he'll pull the listing. I responded that I can very easily confirm the authenticity if he'll just send me a photo or copy of the stamp, and am awaiting a response. I'll post a picture of the listing for you here, and will also update you on the correspondence and hopeful resolution of the issue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not a Dunhill guy and can't tell, but I'd say, if an ebay seller had a Dunhill to peddle, they wouldn't do it in a lot with other far less expensive pipes, whatever its condition. That's the logic of the case.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
As of now, I just received notice that the listing was removed. He has not responded to me though via messages, so (worst case scenario) he may relist it and hope I don't see it again? Hopefully he just decided to listen to me and whomever else wrote him, and will not put it up. I'll update here if there are any updates. If anything, it's just a reminder for us all to keep our eyes open and our zooms at the ready to be on the lookout for signs of authenticity :D :puffpipe:

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
From the other pictures, it was evident it wasn't an authentic stem. It had the spot, but the bit was definitely a generic. Not a big deal to me if it's an authentic bowl. What got me wondering was, it looked as though it may have been stamped on the bottom of the pipe, which is a telltale mistake of the counterfeiter. Surely it would have been the "SHELL" with the 1937 date code and patent if it was stamped there. I hope he writes me back.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It a Dunhill is stamped "shell" and it's a smooth finished pipe, it's a fake. Period. End of story. Shell is Dunhill's term for its sandblast finish.
Once again, if a Dunhill pipe is stamped "shell" and it's a smooth finish, it's a fake. Period. End of story. Shell is Dunhill's term for its sandblast finish.
Once again, if a Dunhill pipe is stamped "shell" and it's a smooth finish, it's a fake. Period. End of story. Shell is Dunhill's term for its sandblast finish.
OK?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hm. I dunno, Jesse... what if the stummel WAS sandblasted, but the wood was so hard and regular that it came out smooth? Or a legit Shell pipe was in someone's pocket when he was abducted by a UFO, and the examination probe-ray he was exposed to burned away all the high spots?
I can't believe you of all people missed those obvious and reasonable explanations. 8O

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The late, great Shel Silverstein smoked only smooth Dunhills and had them all personalized with a stamp that read "Shel". Not "Shell". "Shel".

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not sure I understand. :|
OK, think of it this way: if a Dunhill pipe is stamped "shell" and it's a smooth finish, it's a fake. Period. End of story. Shell is Dunhill's term for its sandblast finish.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
:idea:
Thought I understood, but no. Shouldn't the period be at the end of the story? :|
Maybe I should start a new thread.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hm. I dunno, Jesse... what if the stummel WAS sandblasted, but the wood was so hard and regular that it came out smooth? Or a legit Shell pipe was in someone's pocket when he was abducted by a UFO, and the examination probe-ray he was exposed to burned away all the high spots?
I can't believe you of all people missed those obvious and reasonable explanations. 8O
By George, you're got it! The truth is out there!
OK, think of it this way: if a Dunhill pipe is stamped "shell" and it's a smooth finish, it's a fake. Period. End of story. Shell is Dunhill's term for its sandblast finish.
What?
Thought I understood, but no. Shouldn't the period be at the end of the story? :|
The period should be at least every four weeks.
As they say, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy". :rofl:
I'll be sure to let Jack know. He'll be relieved.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

Status
Not open for further replies.