Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:   

Butz Choquin - Whats your opinion?

(36 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rls80

Login to Send PM

Well, I finally managed to get back into the swing of forum chat after a few months off, with a new thread. And as the title says, it Butz Choquin pipes, and what people think of them.

I recently won an estate BC Calabash Junior Super (smooth) on ebay. It has a lovely appearance, apart from needing oxidization removing from the stem. It seems to of been barely smoked too, so i got the bowl trim and have given it a few smokes now.
    But, two things:
    First, it smokes hotter than any other pipe I've owned, despite smoking slowly and trying different types of tobacco etc
    Second, (and I know it hasn't really got that much cake build up) it seems to smoke worse (bitter/ashy I guess?) than any other pipe I have had at similar build up, and probably one of the wetter ones too.

So what you all think of this brand?

Cheers

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They're flashy, if that's your thing, I also really like the look of stem materials they use. That being said, I have never owned or smoked a BC, and can't really imagine myself going out of my way to acquire one.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rls80

Login to Send PM

I just thought I'd have a go at this used one, since it was in nice condition and I was curious. I suppose I need to give it a bit more smoking time before being too harsh in opinion, but I am amazed at how quickly and suddenly it gets hot. Does look nice though!

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a Daccord a while back. As noted I loved the stem coloring. It's kind of a smokey grey and silver. Has some nice grain to it, a good mix of birds eye and flame. The Daccord I got does tend to smoke a little hot though regardless of the blend I put in it. Overall it's a nice pipe. Pretty good draw and everything. Like I said only downfall is the bowl gets hotter than my other pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

Their fine pipes. Been in business forever.

A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a Ferrari.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. thekiltedchaplain

thekiltedchaplain

Login to Send PM

I've only had one that I recently sold, a jumbo rusticated. It was a beautiful pipe but smoked very hot no matter what tobacco I was using, or how slow I was drawing. It also gurgled more than any other pipe I've owned, but both of these may just have been how I smoked. I tend to draw pretty deep and heavy even when I'm "sipping".

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. clanobucklin

clanobucklin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own about 5-6 of them and they have never given me any problems. They are nice looking and good smokers too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Here's the only pic I have of my D'Accord bulldog.
    You can see part of the marbled smoke gray stem referred to by lordofthepiperings.

This one smokes really well, and the stem is very comfortable in the mouth.
    No issues with excessive heating or gurgle. Pretty nifty pipe, IMO.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rls80

Login to Send PM

Very nice looker! I suspect mine gurgles due to the really narrow diametre shank/stem channel. Would this be a reasonable assumption?

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have several and like them a lot. Excellent pipes.

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've owned a few in years past and other than the fills they were good smoking pipes IMO.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. olderthandirt

OTD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only have the one, this "d'Argent", but it is a smokers dream.
    Not overly blend specific, no gurgle and light enough for my dentures to clench.

Snus, snuff and briar.
    Not much more required in a day.
    Brian from Oregon USA
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought my BC Calabash in the mid Eighties, and often called it the pipe that wouldn't break in. I think the heavy varnish holds in the heat. It only gurgles with cased blends, and is a much better with Tinderbox Connoisseur or Dunhill 965. It's a really good pipe during the winter!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

audax

Login to Send PM

Have several Butz Choquin's but my favorite is the Makuni purchased at a great pipe shop in Paris, just behind the Sorbonne, about 20 years ago. It's a big pipe and smokes cool with the right tobacco. I smoke Savinelli Black Cavendish in it and Butera Sweet Cavendish, when I can get Butera products which is impossible here in Bratislava, Slovakia.

Posted 10 months ago #
  15. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess since this has been necro- bumped, I'll give my $0.02.
    I only have one BC, a Cadre Noir "1789" 1/2 bent apple. From what I can tell from the one pipe, BCs are well constructed and smoke good for the money. I'd definitely recommend them to the budget minded piper!

Posted 10 months ago #
  16. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 2 BC's. A rusticated Jumbo billiard and a red bent Formula (I just felt that I needed a red pipe). Both smoke very well and, to pete03's point, are reasonable for mid-range pipes.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 10 months ago #
  17. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only own one and like the way it smokes and looks

Posted 10 months ago #
  18. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite pipe is my BC, any pipe I have smokes hot or gurgles, doesn't matter on the pipe in my opinion, it comes down to technique and tobacco at the proper moisture.

Posted 10 months ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one BC, a Caprice bent billiard with a silver-colored band, black rusticated bowl and shank, and raspberry
    colored stem. This is their 1304 shape, one of their standards. I bought this when the Peterson Dracula pipes
    were new and exciting, not wanting something quite that over-the-top, but liking the black crimson contrast.
    This pipe does not overheat. It's a handy size, I would say a small Group 4. My bent pipes don't gurgle, or rarely.
    This is a pleasant smoker, nice balance, good clencher, comfortable stem. I don't even think the design is
    particularly flashy as colorful pipes go. I wouldn't mind taking this to a pipe show to smoke samples, wouldn't
    feel like a show-off character. Mostly, I find French pipes nicely done and pleasingly priced. I also have a
    Vuilliard and a Jobey, and have had good experiences with them.

Posted 10 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

A pipe pal recently bought a Chacom churchwarden and he was all praise for it. I often read on the internet about how pipe smokers rave about Comoy's and such fine French pipes but these are all well beyond my budget. But just this week I came across a BC on eBay that really caught my fancy and it was priced below 50 bucks so I frantically googled for more info on the make although I've come across it before. The long and short of it was, you guys here gave me the must confidence thru your comments cos it's almost impossible to find reviews on estate BC pipes anywhere!

So I took the plunge this morning and bought the Butz Choquin Camargue. Whereas all the other variants of this model I saw on the internet were either bulldogs and bent billiards, this one is a paneled straight billiard with a square shank and a lovely downward bending stem inserted/screwed into the lucite shank extension!

Thank you kind sirs of PMC, and especially rls80 for posting this thread...it gave me courage to fork out for my first estate BC pipe. Will update with photos when she arrives

Merry Christmas everybody.

Posted 10 months ago #
  21. redbeard

redbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one that was part of my dads collection, I absolutely LOVE IT!! It is a BC Simoun that is my best flake smoker. This pic here is pretty old, back when I first started but you can get the idea. I have cleaned it up really nice, stem and all. Also not the greatest at photography

Posted 10 months ago #
  22. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A BC was my first Meer lined pipe and I got a nice little bent apple. I really like the pipe, nice and light but do have trouble with the stem staying tight about once a year I have to make some adjustments. Great pipe though smokes nice.

Posted 10 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

Redbeard, Beautiful pipe you have...Loads of character! Is she a setter?

Piperl12, I too have problems with my Ropp's and BBB's stems cos they are just too old so now and then I apply some nail polish to the inside of the shanks, LOL.

Posted 10 months ago #
  24. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple BC's and a Rattray made by BC. All of them are keepers in my book.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    β€œHe who does not know the past can never understand the present, and he certainly can do nothing for the future.”
    Posted 10 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

I didn't know BC made Rattray pipes. Be great if we can get to see some pix of your collection

Posted 10 months ago #
  26. danindayton

danindayton

Login to Send PM

I own 4 BC pipes and they are all keepers. They don't smoke as well as some of my others but, for the price, I like them.

danindayton
    ilurkalot

Posted 10 months ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

As I said in my above post, I thought my BC D'Accord was a pretty nice pipe.
    I found that removing the lacquer coating improved the smoke immensely.
    Here's the new look -- and I might add that it colors quickly and beautifully once the lacquer is gone, though that does expose the fills.

Posted 10 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

The grain on that beauty almost resemble burl walnut! And what fills?..I can't see any, LOL.
    Congrats on having such a beautiful BC.

Posted 10 months ago #
  29. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

They have a really unique BC at my BM shop right now. Its a Cobra that really looks like a horn/Cobra. Its a bit pricey but beautiful pipe. Bought in 1985 and never smoked.

Posted 9 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

My first Butz Choquin, an estate of course. She was pretty clean although I left some of the charring around the inside rim bevel since I'm going to be smoking her quite regularly I reckon. She's a Camargue 1597 with an acrylic shank insert...nicely made even if there are a number of small fills on her. I like pipes that can sit on the table without relying on a pipe rest (and they don't all have to be pokers), especially when I'm smoking and working at the same time.

Posted 9 months ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since my last post, I have bought a BC straight billiard blast Rocaille 1601, and after removing the
    stinger (which is easily removable) I find it another excellent pipe. It has classic English lines, but
    the snappy execution typical of French pipes at an amazing price. This was was on a half-price sale
    at Iwan Ries -- MSRP $115, usually sold at $92, discounted to $57. It's a brown blast, not black,
    and has a silver-colored fairly wide band and a faux Cumberland stem.

Posted 9 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

rymw

Login to Send PM

What a good deal. Do share a photo of your Rocaille if possible, mso

Posted 9 months ago #
  33. samcoffeeman

samcoffeeman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought a BC 2000 calabash in ane state sale. The rim was pretty beat up so I decided to remove the stain and re-finish it. The stain was a thick varnish that deftly hid the many flaws and fills in the briar, I found it to be quite disturbing and will not own a BC as a result.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
    that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights,
    that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness
    Posted 9 months ago #
  34. skapunk1

skapunk1

Login to Send PM

Got this one in a recent pipe lot, its a 1642 Capitan 70. Only smoked it once after cleaning it, only because it intruiged me. Not too bad.

Warren
    Posted 9 months ago #
  35. algenib

algenib

Login to Send PM

My first pipe was a BC, and it smokes much, much hotter than any other of my pipes, and always gives me a gurgle too. There's quite a bit of sentimental value in that pipe, but I don't smoke it at all anymore, and I don't think I'd buy another BC.

Posted 9 months ago #
  36. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I went to France late last November, the pipe shop had close to 1,000 BC pipes. They were having some kind of show. I wanted to get a pipe there, for a souvenir, but I had the impression from holding the pipes and checking them out that they were cheap and overpriced. About the same quality as a $20 basket pipe in the US, so I passed and only bought some tobacco.

Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pruss, fishnbanjo, danindayton, portalhq, coalsmoke, fnord, mso489, layinpipe, junkyarddawg, texmexpipe, bulletsnbriars, yazamitaz, huskysibe, andypandy, pitchfork, cally454, kimbiker, lucky695, jitterbugdude