PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rods

Lurker
Mar 27, 2015
I have been a sporadic, infrequent pipe smoker for about 30 years. After a recent lengthy time away from my pipes, I got them back out. Not surprisingly, I had a significant issue with stem oxidation on a number of my pipes. Using advice garnered on web searches I tackled cleaning up a bunch of stems using an oxyclean presoak and magic erasers to clean off the oxidation. All 10 stems I cleaned looked to be vulcanite. 9/10 stems cleaned up quite nicely and were easy to polish using some old stem polish I had. All nine look markedly better than when I started. But the last one, a black seemingly vulcanite stem from a bent Butz Choquin actually seemed to look worse after cleaning - black, but very rough feeling and it wouldn't polish up at all with the same polish. Is there a suggestion for this? Is it a different material than I thought (it is definitely not lucite)? Should I try to buff it with something? If I need a stem replacement, where would I get one?

Thanks.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I hear that sanding the stem with fine grades of Micro-Mesh works great. Maybe somebody here can link you to a source for a variety pack.
ps. Welcome to the forums! Woo-hoo! :clap:

pps. If you sign up for deluxe membership you get access to advanced online features, a personalized PM.com ID card, and this...

Plate.jpg

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You can get a sample pack of Micro Mesh from stores like Woodcraft.com or Japanwoodworker.com

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
There are different formulas of rubber used for pipe stems. Some have a reaction to the oxyclean soak and come out with a slightly pebbled surface. It can actually make the stem worse. There is no way to tell beforehand if a stem will have this reaction. But all is not lost. Wet sanding with a high grit wet/dry sandpaper will smooth it out. But now you will have micro scratches to deal with. Buffing works fastest and best. Lacking a buffer, the Micromesh pads or cloth will do a pretty good job.

I have stopped using the various soak methods. To remove oxidation I use Magic Eraser and Soft Scrub. It takes more elbow grease, but you can get all the oxidation off. Check your work in direct sunlight. You might think the stem is black, but the sunlight will reveal what you can't otherwise see.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
It wasn't a Butz Choquin but I had a couple stems turn out like you describe after an oxyclean soak. I read somewhere that it might have to do with the quality of the vulcanite. I'll parrot the Micro Mesh pad recommendation. Working through the various grits will bring that stem back to smooth and shiny. I found a wide selection of Micro Mesh options at my local Woodcraft brick & mortar. On a side note, they even had a small selection of briar blocks if you wanted to carve your own!

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I've had the same problem with many of the pipes I restore .I start with the oxyclean as well and finish with a variety of micro-mesh .This is the item # 171225159757 for a 9 pack from Ebay i've bought quite a few from this seller,quick shipping and a

reasonable price $14.44 free shipping.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Vulcanite or ebonite contain varying amounts of sulfur, and so will react differently to a soak in an oxidizing solution. I don't know that this is a quality thing, or just variations in the manufacture of vulcanite. Though I don't restore pipes (I only take care of my own), like xrundog I eschew bleach or oxiclean baths and just use a magic eraser and then progressively finer abrasives. I don't see the value in taking an oxidized stem, soaking it in bleach or oxiclean to oxidize it even more, and then sanding off the oxidized layer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My stem issue arose this a.m. as I began to put a few pipes into bent stem territory. I started by taking the crink out of a couple of cheapo Cob stems, using a candle and a pipe cleaner.

Then I went for a better pipe with a better quality stem and got it to bend into a nice slight curve making the pipe a tad more comfortable to clench.

I looked at my racks and picked up a nice old paneled billiard with a square stem. I was bending it and it broke in half!

Super glue has not been successful in getting that pipe back into smokeable condition.

As for oxidized stems, I've found that getting after it with a 220 grit works very effectively. Then you graduate into finer abrasives to bring on the shine.

Some day maybe, I'll get a wheel and a couple of pads for doing the high luster finish on a stem using the various typical dressings.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Welcome to the forum ! I'll second ( or third) the Micro Mesh. Use it wet and start with the 2400 or 3200--which ever will remove the roughness and work up. By the time you get to 6000-8000 it should start to shine. The water will also help you see any residual oxidation.Rinse the stem and while it is still wet look for brownish-greenish areas that will need more work.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Hey newbroom, got an idea for you. Get some 1/8" OD stainless steel tubing. Drill both sides of the break in about 1/4" (maybe a little more if it's feasible) to 1/8". Cut a piece of tube to correct size, smear a little epoxy on it and use the tube to join the stem. Fill in any remaining cracks with black super glue, wet sand and polish.

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Use the micro-mesh pads as suggested but I have a feeling the stem will end up being one that turns at the sight of you lips so give it some good protection after it is smooth and black. Some Paragon wax, Obsidian oil or some plain old olive oil.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Good information all. I stopped using bleach and then a stem came out of the oxyclean looking like the one smoothsailing shared the pics on. when I retrieved it from the soak it was freaked me out. I thought it was ruined until it dried out.
I am just getting setup to use a buffer. My arthritis doesn't lend itself to hours of repetitious hand work. I have used paper on a number of them but just can't spend the effort on hand polishing without paying for it the next several days.

mrdenmark

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
The Butz Choquin I own are also the ones that has the most oxidation. I have read a lot of good advises here, I just haven't had the time to try them out. Hopefully I will have time in the near future so I can enjoy great looking pipes during the summer nights.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
Okiescout- I have the same problem with arthritis but i've found a trick to help in the stem cleaning process.My wife bought me an inexpensive adjustable vice its a life saver or a hand saver.It allows me to use both hands for sanding. I have a real problem holding the small stems in one hand and sanding with the other .My hands and wrists swell quite fast and can stay that way for days this makes it a bit easier for me.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
smoothsailing, thanks for the tip. I have a small gun vice that would probably work for this. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.