PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
This morning I stopped at my favorite grocery store. It’s a food chain where they also bake their own products.
I needed some rolls for sandwiches. I look at the rolls I always buy, have been for years, and I see on the label. “Made with organic flour.” “Oh boy“. I said to myself. “Not a good way to start my day.”
So I walk over to the counter where they do the baking. A nice lady asks if I need help.
“Yes. These rolls are organic. Do you have the non-organic?”
“Oh no. We discontinued those.” She tells me.
“You’re kidding, right?” I asked.
“No sir. The organic are much better for you. They have no preservatives.”
Now I’m getting a bit nervous.
“Look. I like preservatives.” I told her. “So you’re never going to make the preservative rolls again?” I asked.
“No. Sorry.” The nice lady answered. “But honestly, you won’t know the difference.”
“Look, you don’t understand.” I said. And she could tell I was upset.
“I like preservatives. I’ve been eating preservatives for 67 years and I’m still alive. My body likes preservatives. They taste good. If I give this body anything other than preservatives, it will go into shock. I may end up in a coma. I need my preservatives.”
Anyway, I walked outa there with a bag of organic rolls. But I also made sure I bought my salami with the preservatives, the fontenella cheese, with the preservatives, the olives with the preservatives, and a bag of cookies, with preservatives.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Same age as indiana and I damn well need my preservatives. Hell, if preservatives can give Twinkies a 20 year shelf like I figure that's just what I need. Take away my preservatives and I'll more likely than not shrivel up to the point that I can be buried in an Aspirin bottle!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
They don't sell the non-organic rolls anymore? Weird.
I live in Indiana, too -- where do you shop?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Incidentally, the stuff that they use to retard mold growth in baked goods is the same stuff that they use to retard mold growth in pipe tobacco.
So...just smoke more.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I'm 66, and preservatives have made me the man I am today. Uh.... what were we discussing? 8O

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Preservatives get a bad rap. There are quite a few preservatives in our food supply that are healthy for you. BHT for instance has the ability to strip the lipid coat off of lipid coated viruses. These include herpes, cytomegalovirus, West Nile, any "H, N" type virus (like bird flu) shingles, etc. It has extended the mean life span of just about any animal that it has been tested on yet there are groups out there that want it banned because it is a preservative and hence "evil"... kind of like tobacco.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
xcw30k.gif

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
pitchfork, I live in NY. Never lived in Indiana. Long story why I'm called Indiana!
shaintiques, they tasted the same, but an hour later I began to hallucinate. I believe it was due to the lack of preservatives.
Phil, you make a point re: those twinkies.......

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
In the US a few years ago there was a massive peanut recall.
Published there was a very long list of products affected by the Great Peanut Recall.
Neither Jif nor Skippy were not on the list, and no Recess Peanut Butter Cups. All safe from the recall.
On the list were all of the Organic products: Healthy Planet Organic Peanut Butter, Smart Earth Products Organic Peanut Butter, Cindi's All Natural peanut Cookies, Miss Perfect's Organic Peanut Butter Cups, etc.
To me "Organic" simply means that no care is used in the production of the organic products.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I’ve been eating preservatives for 67 years and I’m still alive.
At 67 years of age you were not likely to have been exposed to as many and such a varied range of presevatives in your formative years. At 56 I grew up on processed foods and I don't believe I'm any worse for wear, but I honestly believe the quality of food is nowhere close to what it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Like quality tobacco, there is no substitute for quality food; seek it out and enjoy it.
To me "Organic" simply means that no care is used in the production of the organic products.
Unfortunately there is this silly assumption that "Organic" is better, but that is not necessarily the case, as per the recall:
On the list were all of the Organic products: Healthy Planet Organic Peanut Butter, Smart Earth Products Organic Peanut Butter, Cindi's All Natural peanut Cookies, Miss Perfect's Organic Peanut Butter Cups, etc.
However, as life is too short to smoke sub-standard tobacco and drink sub-standard whiskey, the same principle also applies to food: enjoy good food whenever possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.