PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I had another colonoscopy. No matter how many I've had, there is still a nervousness about the procedure. So after prepping me they wheeled me into the colonoscopy room. The room had machines, computers, and on the wall framed pictures of intestines, and anal cavities.
After a twenty minute nervous wait, the Doctor finally enters the room and says to me.
“We are going to give you a mild sedative. It will not knock you out. But it will relax you. And you will feel my probe moving around your intestine.”
I wanna be knocked out.” I told her.
“No. We don’t do that anymore. We find it’s better for the procedure to just relax the patient. Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.” She says.
“But I want one of those happy drugs.”
“Don’t worry.” The Doctor says trying to reassure me. “You’ll be fine.”
Now I’m really nervous. Then the doctor says to me as I‘m laying there with a tube in my nose, and an intravenous feeding my body with a not so happy drug.
“I need to tell you the possible problems you may encounter during the procedure.” The Doctor says.
“But I don’t wanna feel anything.” I said.
“You’ll be fine.” She reminded me.
“Now let me explain the possible problems.”
She leaned closer and said.
“You may end up with a lacerated intestine. In which case we would have to perform emergency surgery. Do you understand?”
“But I want.”
“You could end up with a ruptured spleen. Do you understand?”
“But I want.”
You may end up with a situation where you’ll need to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of your life.” Do you understand?”
“But I really want.”
“In case of an extreme situation you may end up with excessive bleeding which means you’ll need a blood transfusion…and could end up with hepatitis or HIV positive. Do you understand?”
“Please give me that happy drug.”
“You’ll be fine though. Now, do you still want the procedure done?” She asked.
I reluctantly nodded yes.
And she was right about one thing. With that 4 foot, long tool, the anal Doctors use I felt every turn she made inside my intestine.
And then after what seemed like hours, the procedure was finally over.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
They told me I was good for ten years, five years ago. I got the knock out drug and was very happy about it. Then my kid drove me home...

The prep the afternoon and evening and night before kind of sucked.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Sounds typical. I've always thought every doctor ordering a "routine" procedure should have had to have done it themselves first... After having many MRI exams, I had my first claustrophobic panic/fail earlier this year. Surprised they didn't go over the risks a bit earlier (or maybe they did, but it's a better story the way you tell it!) :D

May 4, 2015
I've never had the pleasure, but I did have a recent vasectomy. I wished, especially during/after, that being completely under were an option.
They probably wished the same, because I was particularly chatty about how uncomfortable it was the whole time.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Dave, I had the same thing happen this year. The MRI's I endured 23 years ago for a diagnosis (with much difficulty), I couldn't stand for this year, and had to go with an open MRI machine.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You might want to find an actual MD rather than the Roto Rooter man for your next cruise down the Hershey highway.
I had my 2nd colonoscopy two days ago. As Philo says, the "prep" day is the worst part of the whole business. Once the bomb is armed it's blitzkrieg for the rest of the day. This time around my doctor prescribed a new and improved explosive which I set off the evening before my procedure, followed by another the morning of the procedure.
The "twilight sleep" worked fine and the procedure wasn't uncomfortable for me in the least. In fact, I went to sleep almost immediately and woke up in recovery with no discomfort, just a very slight wooziness that went away in an hour. I was back at work that afternoon.
No big deal.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Never understood this. The Number 1 killer is heart disease, and a $400 plac test will show the amount of blockages. But the very first test they want to do to you is something that only kills 8% of the population, instead of 54% of what people die from. :crazy:

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Your all very brave - Doctors!

You know what they say the difference between god and a Doctor, god does not believe he's a Doctor!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Man, what a gut wrenching experience! Glad it came out well in the end.......I know, I'm going to hell.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
Don't know, but proper spelling might help it...Medieval. :wink:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Don't know, but proper spelling might help it...Medieval. :wink:
Post 6969

That's what happens when you copy and paste something that incompetent humans have copied and pasted, and the spell checker is not used by either, and/or you just want to mess with people.

Thanks ( Btw, I just left it that way to see how long it would take for someone to see it), you are the second person to catch it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do know the answer to hobie1dog's old question. Can't share it though, state secret.
As to the OP: Some of our members have knowledge of "state secrets." They can't have full anesthesia unless an agent is standing by to kill them should they start to babble.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And she was right about one thing. With that 4 foot, long tool, the anal Doctors use I felt every turn she made inside my intestine.
Four foot long tool? I saw one of those for sale in an "adult book store" near me. Looks terrifying. Glad you survived.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Warren,
Some of our members have knowledge of "state secrets." They can't have full anesthesia unless an agent is standing by to kill them should they start to babble.
:rofl:
deathmetal,
Four foot long tool? I saw one of those for sale in an "adult book store" near me. Looks terrifying. Glad you survived.
Thanks...and I might have exaggerated the size. I was under the influence by then.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Reminded me of when Kramer got the proctologist's license plate by mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzHOmiV0eGU

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Isn't that like a date-rape thing?
And they didn't even buy him dinner first, but I guess they couldn't under the circumstances...
But in all seriousness Frank, glad you came through it ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.