PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Hello all!
So, I seem to be developing a pattern of having tender/sore areas of tongue tip/mouth after smoking a pipe. Still new to pipe by the way! Was concerned that sore mouth is not something to take lightly in terms of protecting oral health.
But I am confused when I read about tongue bite. 'Experts' seem to suggest that most cases of bite are actually burn. But I use a filter and the smoke never feels hot. I find it hard to imagine this smoke burning my mouth. I am also following the general advice about checking moisture, packing technique and sipping slowly.
On the other hand, if it's true bite (a chemical reaction?), then why does it not create any discomfort while smoking?
I wonder then, am I experiencing tongue bite or burn or is just some sensitivity common early on even if the smoker is accustomed to cigars?
I would liken the sensation I have to what someone would feel after drinking coffee or soup that is bearable but leaves some sensitivity afterwards. Except that coffee or soup feels hot while drinking!
This is almost driving me back towards cigars, which would be a shame as I prefer pipe tobacco.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It could be a body chemistry thing. I'm cautious with certain burley blends because they rip my mouth to shreds. I smoked some L.P. Peretti Thanksgiving Day today and I now have a tender mouth and throat. It happens. If it's a certain blend, you know what to avoid.
But I can smoke Virginia's, VaPers, Orientals, Balkans and most Prince Albert with recklessness abandon.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
What blends are you smoking? Red Virginias? Here is a recent thread massive tongue bite/burn you might want to read.

Apparently some pipers will get chemical burns (?) from red virginias.

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Thanks all, will check out those links. I had done a fair bit of reading before asking these questions, and honestly left me a little confused. Is burn possible if the smoke doesn't actually even feel hot and is coming through a filter?
I have tried: Captain Black Royal, Dunhill Early Morning, SG Full Virginia Flake.
I am not saying the feeling's terrible, just curious about why I have it and more concerned about impact of repeatedly having it.

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
I tried some Captain Black that had given me some trouble in my corn cob. This time had it in briar with 9mm filter, and smoked slow. Seems to be ok so far! Perhaps the 9mm briar will be a better teacher for me than the corn cob?

paisleypiper

Lurker
Nov 2, 2018
Thanks olkofri, weirdly reassuring to know :)
I think part of the issue also is that there has been a fair bit of wind lately outdoors. This is very deceiving as you can't see the smoke as well and light more often, perhaps driving up the heat.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there are several causes that manifest in several ways. New pipe smokers tend to puff too hard and often and burn their tongue and mouth. I found aromatics are moist and make steam, and cause some burn. Or the flavorings, certain kinds, can cause a chemical burn. Slow your pace. Dry out your tobacco. Avoid really moist aromatics. Try mild non-aromatics for a change. Etc. Most pipe smokers can find the right ritual and combination that doesn't burn their tongue or mouth.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would say avoid aromatics altogether until you have a better grasp on packing and cadence. Flavored tobaccos are great after you get past the initial learning curve. English blends and burleys are more forgiving and great to start with before attempting Virginias and aros. Try smoking your non aros bone dry and see if things change.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I have experienced irritation to my tongue or mouth since the beginning of my journey. Over the years, careful consideration and tweaking of my drying, packing and cadence have done little to control or curb tongue bite. Furthermore, the prevalence of this topic going back literally centuries leads me to believe it is a normal part of pipe smoking. Just look at all the old advertisements of patented pipes and tobacco blends claiming to cure the dreaded bite. Why was Peterson's P-lip even invented if irritation wasn't an all too common complaint of the pipe smoker? Why would one of the world's top selling brands become commonly known as Mac Bite (Mac Baren)? Right here in these forums a very highly credible contributor frequently declares to have a leather tongue from years of smoking. I therefore must conclude, that although it may be somewhat controlled, mouth and tongue irritation is here to stay, and I am not alone.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why would one of the world's top selling brands become commonly known as Mac Bite
I've wondered about that one. None of Mac Baren's offerings have bit me. No leather tongue here, and no bite for years. Bone dry tobacco and a light packing along with a very slow cadence cures many smoking problems.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The Mac Baren issue aside, much of what Dottiewarden says rings true. When I started smoking a pipe, sore tongue -- whether from heat or pH -- was considered a rite of passage. Follow Chasing Embers' advice and things will improve.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Virginia blends will smoke hot and cause a "burn", yes. My theory though, is that the biggest problem is always the PH. A Burley is too alkaline and will bite, and a Virginia is too acid and will cause a burn/bite/whatever. I can't smoke either straight. I like Burley and will do things to alleviate the alkalinity before I smoke it. Adding sugar, especially invert sugar will increase the acidity of tobacco smoke as it burns. Virginia is an acid smoke because of the high sugar content. To alleviate the alkalinity of my Burley I will add honey (high in invert sugar) or a little Virginia. Perique is an alkaline tobacco and will tame a Virginia down nicely. So that is maybe why Va/Per's and Va/Bur's are popular.
So IMO, the PH is the problem but it can be too high or too low. An acid bite and an alkaline bite do feel different.
FYI, I'm smoking whole leaf concoctions I am blending myself.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Me Cap'n writ:
I would say avoid aromatics altogether until you have a better grasp on packing and cadence. Flavored tobaccos are great after you get past the initial learning curve. English blends and burleys are more forgiving and great to start with before attempting Virginias and aros. Try smoking your non aros bone dry and see if things change.
Bone dry tobacco and a light packing along with a very slow cadence cures many smoking problems.
+1000
CW

Status
Not open for further replies.