PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

porchsitter

Lurker
Oct 11, 2015
Am I just a klutz or is this common? I am not sure when I am dropping hot embers on me. But I have several shirts with one or two holes in the front.
I understand a dedicated smoking jacket for the porch in the winter. But when I'm out and about during my day, it's not practical. And my doing something wrong? Or does it just come with the territory?

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Sometimes, if you're too 'busy' to tamp after a false light, the tobacco can creep out over the rim as you get it going...

Maybe you should use a wind cap... :wink:

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Oh my yes, lol!! Remeber to smoke ye pipe only when wearing Nomex shirts!

Dec 24, 2012
I make sure now I only wear old crappy cotton t-shirts. I had some fancy shirt on once (made of I don't know what material) and a spark hit the shirt and I swear to God I almost went up like a roman candle. I mean the shirt caught on fire and I had an inch diameter burn in the middle of by chest. It was some scary shit.

porchsitter

Lurker
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you gentlemen. I will just wear them as a badge of honor. Guess I will have to be wary of setting my beard aflame!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
let your light go out before you stop sucking on the pipe. This will stop the mini Vesuvius from erupting.

cmclark

Lurker
Mar 15, 2014
Shirts, pants (luckily in my lazy lay around cloths) couch, and basement floor. Nothing of value really. Usually it is just something that happens so your not the only one. Few times ive just been so relaxed that I drop the pipe wherever. Once or twice spilt ashtray. It's a "lesson learned" thing

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I only smoke in the house or on the porch.I don't take a pipe with me when I go out.I wear certain shirts when I smoke because they all have holes in them..I've been smoking pipes over 40 years and I'm still burning holes in my shirts.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
Never burned a hole in anything during my cigar years. Now I have three or four ruined shirts.
It still pisses me off.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
" I mean the shirt caught on fire and I had an inch diameter burn in the middle of by chest. It was some scary shit."
Right on, Peck. At one time there were a number of materials used in clothing and curtain materials that would burst into flames with the least amount of a spark.
Clothing I do not burn so much, but I have jumped a foot several times when the charring light puffed up and the breeze landed it on my hand :oops:
If I am quick enough to brush them off, I have been lucky with my clothes which seem to survive unscathed. Heavy cottons and some synthetic blend jackets.

I actually caught on fire once. When I walk into a store on my walks in the evenings with my wife and pipe, I always just drop my pipe into my shirt pocket. 100's of times, no problem. Then that one time... I smelled smoke, non tobacco smoke, and the felt the heat, then I was ripping off my shirt like the Hulk and flinging it about. Put my shirt back on, stuck my pipe back in my mouth like it was all just business as usual. You gotta keep your cool when playing with fire. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Damn Cosmic, I thought match sparks burning my pants in the crotch area was bad. You've topped them all.
I just read your post out loud to my wife and son, their still rolling around on the floor with laughter :rofl:

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I don´t do that not so much but did it with cigars a lot! Once the amber jump off the tip of my cigar when I tried to ash out of an open car window. The burning amber slipped between my back and the back of the seat and burned a sizable hole into the upholstery! 8O Needed new seat covers after that.... :roll:
I just dropped my pipe in the car (while driving) once but it did no damage.... :roll:

graydawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2014
Happens to me occasionally. Never with an old shirt or pants though. Only with new/best clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.