PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Burley can be polarizing. People experience it quite differently. Some can't taste it, like smoking hot air. To others it's harsh. Others throw up. Still others favor it above all other leaf and appreciate it both as a single leaf, as variants like Semois, or in blends of many kinds. Some who don't like it by itself like it in various blends. Some find it a gratifying source of nicotine, and others find its nicotine invariably too strong. So how are you doing, or not, with burley? Which kinds or blends do you like, or why don't you like burley at all? Personally, I'm favorable toward most burley and appreciate it in blends. I appreciate its image among some as a rough and ready leaf, full strength and a little disreputable. But I find it subtle, refined, and often the needed extra touch in blends that rise above others. Love it or hate it, or just say ho-hum, but how is burley for you?

Virginias (brightleaf) all comes from one plant, but burleys are much more varied. I like the strong ones, the fire cured, and a few others, but the white burleys and the crap they use in most aromatics doesn't appeal to me at all. not liking burleys at all really limits one to maybe just a couple of plants. Even perique and cigar leaf is a burley.

I think what most people mean about hating burleys are those used in the goopy aromatic range, the whites and other waxy tasting tasting leaf. But, maybe they don't know the varieties by name.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
At first I didn't care for it seemed harsh to me. Now years later and more experience i find i enjoy burley as long as I take my time and dont rush like I had in the past as a newbie.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Same here as username.
My first brush with burley seemed bitter and "cigarette-ish".
Then I got some GH&Co North Star, a VA/burley shag. Slowing down my cadence allowed me to appreciate this simple tobacco.
Finally, my acquisition of D&R's Cockstrong, along with 2 other D&R tobaccos, really forced me to refine my method to enjoy these dry leaves.
Now, I can puff the burley and get that "nuttiness" of which everyone speaks instead of the dirty ashtray effect.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoy burley as well. Tom must be on a burley crusade.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/burley-negatives-why-not-burley

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I guess I am lucky. I have found that I like pipe tobacco, smoked in a pipe. So far, I like it all. Prince Albert this evening...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess I am lucky. I have found that I like pipe tobacco, smoked in a pipe. So far, I like it all. Prince Albert this evening...
Rarely do I find a blend I don't like.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Burley and I don't agree above a certain percentage of burley content. I don't know what the threshold is, but I guess under 15%.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke burley blends most of the time, especially C&D blends. Lately I've been getting into Virginia blends and enjoying them a lot, but burley will always remain the king.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I think what MSO asks regarding Burley tobacco can be asked of many other types of leaf, too. Latakia, Virginia, Perique, as examples. They all can be polarizing, depending on who you talk to, I guess.
In any event, I am a lover of Burley tobaccos and think they can be terrific as a stand alone, or, enhance the overall presentation of many combinations. My favorite blend is one part Virginia and three parts Burley. So, I love that particular weed - generally speaking, of course.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I love codger and codger-inspired blends: Carter Hall, Butternut Burley, Stormfront, etc. They're like comfort food. Uhle's #00 is really good and a favorite. I just wish I could find a less expensive version of it.
VaBurs are great, too.

btwes7

Lifer
Jul 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
It has a regular spot in my rotation. Tried Semois for the first time today. Only lasted about ten minutes but enjoyed every one of them.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I smoke a lot of burleys. Love VA-Bur blends, dark fired etc... So, yes, I love the nuttiness and cocoa.

wizhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2017
Noob question sorry, is it Burley that gives you the nicotine hit or is it something else.
Wiz

Mar 29, 2016
I like Semois, Italian, American dark fired Kentucky and Perique which I heard is a Burley. Not too keen on Va/Bur, Bur/Va or full Burleys it's a body chemistry thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.