PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I have been trying some different burleys and have liked what I've tried so far, McClelland X9, Lane BWOB, and Sutliff Ready Rubbed match. I really liked the ready rubbed. I don't know if it's me but they all seem to have a bready and or nutty taste to them. Any suggestions for good burleys?
And thank you guys for all the advice and help, I'm really enjoying this forum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Watch City Slices

C&D Pegasus

C&D Haunted Bookshop

C&D Old Joe Krantz

C&D Billy Budd

Solani Aged Burley Flake

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
H&H Classic Burley Kake is SRRM on steroids.

Peretti 1072 is very fine.

Peretti #8 slices is an unusual take on the burley cake and is also very fine.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Check out the C&D Burley blends. C&D is the King of Burlies.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/

https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
No. 8 Slices is a great blend, I have my share, but it is described as a VaPer "added Burley" by Peretti. I agree with the blender's description. It is not a Burley blend but a blend with Burley, big difference. But get it anyway, it rocks.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Lane Limited Ready-Rubbed is fantastic. If you like flake tobacco try MacBaren Navy Flake. Not 100% burley, but close enough.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I like War Horse Ready-Cut.

This is the blend that started my exploration of burley blends.

I like OJK a lot and I like the other burley blends that get a lot of love on this board.

But War Horse is my go to burley blend.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9876/standard-tobacco-company-of-pennsylvania-war-horse-ready-cut

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Haunted bookshelf is definitely on the list, may try War Horse also, I want to try them all, anyone had any experience with Peterson Irish Flake?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several posts have pointed out that Cornell & Diehl is a leader in creative use of burley in blends, so explore those, both tinned and bulk.
In the burley family, but distinct, the Tabac-Manil Semois, thick and medium cut, are a burley variant from Belgium that is both unique and burley. Some really don't like it, react badly, but for others, like me, it is a primo smoking experience.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
War Horse Ready Cut is a very tasty burley and I also like Peter Stokkebye's #41 Cube Cut for a nice long smoke.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I know all of this is very subjective, I just like experiencing all the different tastes, even when I don't like them I don't mind having bought them. It's part of the fun

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
If you like burley forward blends, you might also enjoy trying dark fired burleys! Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired and Bold Kentucky are delicious; Peterson's 3p's and Irish Flake contain dark fired burleys and are very tasty and creamy; GL Pease's JackKnife Plug is wonderful, containing different burleys; and Solani's ABF and Silver Flake are both awesome, as many have noted -- if you enjoy ABF, you might like Wessex's Burley Slices, too!

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
As has been said... anything C&D is usually damn good. C&D Cube Cut makes a great base if you want to blend your own mix. Got quite a nicotine kick and very earthy flavors.
University Flake and Wessex Burley Slices are probably my favorite blends out there... oh and OJK from C&D. I personally prefer Wessex to Solani ABF, but YMMV.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
anyone had any experience with Peterson Irish Flake?
Yes, it's a favorite. Good rich flavor, slightly sweet. Downside: a bit of goop.
I second the Tabac Manil Semois recommendation.
One way to get into this would be to go to your favorite tobacco merchant and pick up some mixing Burleys. A decent ribbon cut Burley, flavored with a little bright or red Virginia and optional Perique, makes for quite a tasty smoke.
It also might make sense to mention heavy hitters like Cotton Boll Twist and Tambolaka here. I am also rather fond of Five Brothers, which I often mix with sweeter tobaccos like Former's Straight Grain Flake, and the various birdseye and shag cut SG/GH tobaccos.
Otherwise, C&D Cube Cut Burley, Burley Flake No. 1 and Old Joe Krantz might be hearty friends for you.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Browse Cornell and Diehl blends. Peretti DD, 333, and 102. Moe's Confetti and Stormfront. Manil Semois is great. I always have a tub of Carter Hall or PA/some drugstore Burley around too.

Status
Not open for further replies.