PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I know this is a very broad question, but what does burley taste like? I got a few things that have it and I'm not sure the notes I should be looking for...

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
From minimally flavored burley I get wheat, oats, and parchment in the tin note. On the smoke I get a nuttiness - not salted but rather sweet nuts - and mild, natural, unsweetened cocoa, along with that papery/oaty flavor and often hay - though not in the Virginia sense. I also tend to find some hint of aniseed in many burleys but I suspect that is added flavor rather than inherent to the tobacco.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 on Molasses, oats, wheat, nuttiness & brown sugar
Smoke some of Solani's Aged Burley Flake...and you will "know" Burley :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think I've smoked the wrong burley. I always thought it was pretty much tasteless and figured that was why it was usually used as a main component for aromatics (didn't have much of its own flavor to conflict with the various sauces it was coated with).
Nuts? Maybe, but there are a lot of different kinds of nuts, and an almond smells and tastes different than a macadamia. But molasses? Brown sugar? Anise?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Perique and others really have it in some detail! So does bigvan, in the sense that I think many people don't

taste burley. But I do taste burley and think perique has it about right. For people who can taste it, it is

complex and interesting, and it brings up dimensions in Virgnia and even Cavendish that they don't have

on their own. Remember though, the sense of taste/smell is extremely individual, like eyesight and hearing.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
bigvan, I'm curious, what burley blends have you smoked? I think some people have a greater sensitivity to burley flavors, but I can't imagine it being anything close to "tasteless." Yet, I think Hacker says something to that effect in one of his books, saying that plain burley tasted to him like "hot air."

There are lots of different burleys with a range of tastes. Kentucky dark fired is similar latakia to me. Light burley has those notes that Perique mentioned. Then you have toasted and double toasted burleys. Fire cured, etc... Cigarettes are also mostly burleys. What I get in most VaBurPer mixes is a back of throat sickly sweet taste. However, there are probably more varieties of burl than Vas.
The reason burley is mostly heavily cased, topped or cavendish'd, is that it doesn't have much (if any) sugar in it. It's a thin leaf, and if not cased at all, burns like tissue paper. Also, in a "good" aromatic, the added calories to make it burn well in a pipe enhance the already existing flavors. It is also a neutral to base in PH, so you don't absorb the nicotine very well. Most aros have the nic, but we just don't absorb them well, unless we inhale, cough cough. Also, cigarette tobacco, mostly burley, is sprayed with hundreds of different calories to enhance the burn plus flavorings. ...just a tidbit of trivia, ha ha!!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Woodsy. With MacBaren London Blend I'll get a cedar taste. The Cornell and Deihl flakes give me a bit of chocolate or a hint of cigar sometimes. Wessex I get BBQ, but that could be the tin note. Solani Burley flake is really nice, really nice. Like it has been said, if you want a burley, try Solani. I get a deep woodsy, oaty flavor, then I need a nap.

Well, many would swear that it is here too, but if you drive through the tobacco fields of the Southeast, burley is about 90% of what's grown. But, after they spray their chemicals and add their paper fillers, it can taste a lot like Virginias or anything they want it to taste like, lol.
edit: so, what brands are made in Canada?

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
How should I know? They are locked behind steel curtains. :D
Du Maurier, Players, Matinee (Imperial Tobacco), Craven A, Benson and Hedges, Number 7 (Rothmans, Benson and Hedges), Export A (JTI-MacDonald).
The Engineering of Canadian Cigarettes

Canadian cigarettes are very different from those sold in the United States and in many other countries. The U.S. cigarette is made of a combination of different types of tobaccos (burley, oriental and Virginia), which are blended with flavourings and casings. Virtually all Canadian cigarettes are manufactured from the same variety of Virginia tobacco, grown in the same five Ontario counties.
From www.smoke-free.ca
Most Canadian cigarettes are made from 100% pure Virginia tobacco.
From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_of_tobacco

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Burley, Tastless?,, No way, is my main smoke everday. CH, PA, 5Brothers, Sugar Barrel etc. Each one has it's own unique flavor and qualitiea. Guess it all depends on what one is looking for. I like my baccy plain Jane.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Carter Hall is a good way to get to know Burley. Though it's not 100% Burley, it is very Burley forward. Burleys are kinda like Virginias, they need to be sipped very slowly to unlock the flavors. Nutty, earthy, and oats are very good ways to describe Burley, IMO.

Another good one to try (if any is still available) is Mac Baren Burley London. It's a good one, but so fa as I know has been discontinued.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
My personal favorite is Prince Albert. I like it even better than MacB Burley London, but I smoke both.
Burley is often flavored with chocolate, as PA and BL is, and I enjoy them both very much.
Burley also has more nicotine than Virginia's in general, and since it is more acidic, the nicotine is more readily absorbed, especially if you inhale a little. At least, that's what they say, and by my feeling, it is true.
You might research Kentucky Burley, as this is some of the most potent tobacco around, and is very full flavored, with much nicotine. I like it, but only well balanced with Virginia tobacco. A good example would be Dark Bird's Eye, which is heavy on the Kentucky.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
for burley kentucky planter - a burley blend- was recommended on this site a while back - havent tried it yet - i smoke mac baren burley london blend recommended here also - great but discontinued - 4 noggins may have some.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Notes of coco and nut. Sometimes they spice it up alittle like RLP. There are so many great burleys out there! Boswell,milan,BLWB,Hearth and Home,on and on. Burley is proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
G.L.Pease on Burley: "Burley is quite the chameleon! It can hide in a blend, taking on the characteristics of the dominant tobaccos around it, while providing increased body, a heavier mouth feel to the smoke. My guess is that you'd be surprised to learn all the myriad places Burley can be found camouflaged, lurking under cover of its surroundings!

And, all Burley is not created equal. Just like any other leaf, there's good and there's not so good. So, it's unwise to condemn all Burleys, as so many do, just because of a bad experience with inferior leaf." From the G.L.Pease FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.