PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Re. Burley, a request and a question. What's a good smoking plain Burley available in bulk?

And how does plain Burley without dressing compare in taste and smoking characteristics

with some of the old OTC Burley-based tobaccos. I'm thinking of Granger, which I have in

supply, that is entirely Kentucky Burley, with a proprietary dressing referred to as "the Wellman

Process." Are these two different experiences, or is Granger a typical Burley with a minor

flavor twist? Granger is a legacy smoke, my dad's and (I think) his dad's. Both pipe smokers,

not sure when Granger arrived. Also, if anyone has bulk Burley blends to suggest, with

Virginias and/or anything else, that might be of interest. I have plenty of variety in the

tobacco locker, but am always exploring, like everyone in Forums.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
MSO: I love C&D's burleys. As far as I'm concerned, C&D has a lock on fine burley leaf. You will find one page dedicated to the burley leaf here: http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/Burley_blends.html

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Burley London is a good one. Good quality blend.
Granger is one of those stick-it-in-your-pipe-and-pay-no-attention-to-it-smoke-it-all-day blends - it's a codger burley,and that's what those are.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I'm working on a few oz of C&D's Crooner... the jury is still out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lots of good ideas here, and the floor is still open, but I definitely plan to try one of these

better Burley's, perhaps C&D first. I like to buy in bulk when I can. You're right about

Granger, Jud. I like it, but I don't want to have that be "my" Burley.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The Edgeworth Ready Rubbed at Pipes and Cigars is a bulk and is quite good in my very limited experience. I have 8oz of it jarred currently.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I agree that C&D offer many great burley blends. My top pics would have to be Haunted Bookshop and Big & Burley. Lane Limited also makes a mild bulk burley called Burley Light without a Bite. I often use it for blending.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local independent pipe shop has the Lane burley so I may try with 2 oz. of that. I have some

blending tobaccos if it needs livening up. I am enjoying some McClelland red Virginia cake

without any added blending tobacco, but that's a different animal, and I might try that with the

Lane burley too. Possibilities. Buy local ... it's good not to have to pay shipping, and support

the local team, where possible.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
I get my Lane BLWB at my local B&M as well. I try to support my B&M as much as possible. They are few and far between.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just bought and tried the Lanes Ltd. Burley and find it an excellent smoke all by itself, with

great potential to blend with Virginia, and maybe Lat, Perique, Turkish, etc. But for me it stands on

its own, not flavorless the way it strikes some. Nice room note here. You get most of the

smoke, not much doddle. Thanks for the suggestions; I'll likely try others. Wouldn't want to

smoke just Burley, but it's a good one.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Friends, any advice on what is best to blend with burley, and in what proportions?
I have a pound of Golden Burley that I purchased from Smokers' Haven a year ago. While the aroma is nice (cocoa), I find I cannot smoke this straight because it bites and burns like hell.
Does anyone have experience and recommendations on how to get the most out of burley? Mix with a Virginia? What type, how much, etc.?
Thanks in advance,

Jay

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Sugar Barrel is a very good Burly for a cob especially, I'll send ya a sample if you would like.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have always recommended pipe smokers to try unadulterated tobaccos to really know what they taste like before they are blended with anything else. We have done this several times at our pipe club so that newer members/smokers can really appreciate a blend of tobaccos and see how they taste.

Straight Burley, Virginia vaieties, Perique and Latakia are easily obtainable from a good blending house.

Granger as a blend it is more than just a flavor twist as you described, it's an old time blend that has been cased with proprietary flavorings like many of the other Burley tobaccos, Half & Half, Prince Albert, Carter Hall would be other good examples. As for some fine Burley mixtures I would recommend any from L. j. Peretti in Boston, or Uhle's in Wisconsin which ate some of my personal favorites.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Granger is a good smoke. I buy that by the can. But I also like Prince Albert. Lane's BLWB is a great one too to buy in bulk. If I had to rate the three, PA, BLWB, Granger. What is nice about Burleys are you can vary each a little with a sprinkle of any tobacco you like, Cavendish, Latakia, etc. As said above the old Codger Burleys are the best, no nonsense tobaccos. I have tried the London Burley and it isn't bad either. But again, to each his own, and that is why this hobby is so great, variety.

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
I havn't tried many burleys and I like them though not nearly as much as Virginia or English. My favorite I've tried so far is macbarens golden extra. It doesn't have the cocoa flavoring like the london burley. Which to me is too close to an aromatic for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.