PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
So my girlfriend comes one from work and what doe she have with her? A bag full of Bulls Eye Flake from my local wannabe B&M!!!

"A blend of ripe Virginia tobaccos spiced with pure Louisiana Perique combined with a center of Black Cavendish to smooth out the taste"
It is a plug definitely, but with a lot of loose tobacco, could be described as pre rubbed haha. Is this how all plugs come?

chakaraka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Vernon, BC, Canada
Not really a plug, more so a coin or spun flake. I have not bought a plug yet, but from what I gather, they are very dense chunks. Like the aptly named Jackknife Plug, which from what I gather requires shaving similar to its namesake to break up to a smokeable texture. I am curious about trying the Bullseye and some plugs and ropes...

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Funny, i just posted about LBF. I wouldn't refer to LBF as a plug, but rather a flake or, more precisely a flake medallion.
Oh my bad S, I don't have many of the appreciations down yet :oops:
Propose. Now.
:lol:
So two more questions then if I may:

1) so is this B&M repackaging the tobacco or making their own variation??
2) so the loose broken up tobacco in this is normal? Does the Peter Stockkebye brand come like this?

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Here is a pic, I hope it is clear enough.
IMG_2782_zps71db6fa0.jpg

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I just smoked some LBF tonight. I am going to be cellaring this stuff for sure. Red the picture you posted looks my LBF that I got a sample of and after it has been josseled around a bit. If it is Peter Stokkebye you will be in for a treat if you like virginias.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
No hate from me flint...everyone is different. But, the LBF just kind of stands out for me so far in my limited experience with Virginia blends.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
If you buy it by the 24 oz box it doesn't shake up that bad at all if you treat it nicely. If someone labeled it as a plug then they must be confused.
7119BE9D-B0EE-4DF3-94F0-D488241F080B-1507-0000018A8ED2632B_zps0a664923.jpg

I know I am missing out, but maybe I just lack the tastebuds to appreciate Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends. I certainly wish I could, but I guess I will just have to go on enjoying my English/Balkan blends. Now, don't go hating on me, and I will keep trying.
That's the key John. It will happen one day. Patience is a virtue. I love an English, but only once in a while now that I got my "ah ha" feeling from a VA. The worse thing you can do is stress over it. It if is meant to be, it will find you.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Was just having a mental debate over this brand, to get 4oz's, which I know would be busted up. To try it out before making a cellar comitment. Wll have to cut some "try me's" *sigh*

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
looks intresting tobacco, the only thing i smoked is Davidoff Flake medalions (looks similare) which is my 1st aro. tobacco.

Wish i could find this tobacco in Saudi or UAE to try it.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Grats Redbeard. That's my desert island smoke. IIRC there's a video on here showing how they make it in the factory. Enjoy!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Now, admittedly, I have only tried LBF once, but I guess I am missing something. I read a fair amount about how to handle flake tobacco, even watched a Youtube video specifically about LBF, and did my best to follow the advice and directions I have received. I rubbed it out a bit and stuffed it into a pipe with a small bowl, being careful not to tamp it in too hard and keeping the cavendish in the center. Once I got it lit, it burned nicely and was an OK smoke, but I really couldn't taste much of anything. I know I am missing out, but maybe I just lack the tastebuds to appreciate Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends. I certainly wish I could, but I guess I will just have to go on enjoying my English/Balkan blends. Now, don't go hating on me, and I will keep trying.
My batch at least was kinda dry so it was very easy to rub out and pack. And why keep the cavendish in the middle? I get a slight slight sweet taste and then a smooth and cool smokey ness. My pallet isn't very refined though and I have a hard time trying to describe the tastes.
I put most of it in a jar and then Into my wannabe cellar lol. A sad excuse for one, small amount of two different aeros and now the bulls eye.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Am smoking a bowl of it now and got a feeling of being around a campfire....

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Being a big Sushi, well actually Sashimi lover, I really appreciate the skill and artwork in something like the medallion cuts. Just looking at the two pictures speaks volumes on how to buy this.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
I'm definitely gonna get a box. Never tried it, but I love Va/per's and the Cavendish center looks delicious. Pretty reasonable price too.

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Let the bowl sit and just finished it up. Unbelievable.... I wish the whole bowl tasted like that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.