PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
The stem was a complete mess on this LHS Sterncrest when I received it, so I ordered a Cumberland style acrylic stem replacement from Pipe Makers Emporium for under $5. The replacement stems are oversized and need to be trimmed to fit the pipe. I don't have a tennon cutter so I sent it out to a friend to have the tennon fit to the mortise. He sent it back and I started in on trimming the fat. This is my first attempt at cutting a stem down to fit a pipe. $5 and a little elbow grease.
Hywq96dl.jpg

pfu1EiFl.jpg

f9JOG00m.jpg

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
When I was reading the text and looking at the photos I was about to write exactly the same thing CobGuy wrote. I think the Brits would say, "wicked good!'

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW Dave! Absolutely beautiful. Your work never ceases to amaze us. Great Job!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That ugly little devil burst into bloom under your hands. It's a 'dog dream come true.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Dave --
Is stem making something you want to get into, or was this a one-time "I had to satisfy myself that I could do it" sort of thing?
If the former, I'll be glad to PM you my phone number for those times you get stuck on something, wonder about which tools are essential vs. merely convenient, and so forth.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Dave: another excellent job. I really like the wide tail and generous button on that stem. A lot of makers seem to go too "svelte" for my tastes.
@georged: what a generous offer. Seems like true craftsmen are always willing to share their knowledge instead of hoarding it!

Status
Not open for further replies.