PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I ran across this LHS Sterncrest 14K with the original box. I'm a sucker for squat bulldogs, silver/gold bands, and LHS pipes so this was the perfect storm. The bead line had some chunks missing and the rim was charred and scared. The stem face has some wear and will be replace eventually. Maybe cumberland?
CtHX42Wl.jpg

RBN0t5Xl.jpg

o8dibW9l.jpg

I started off by beveling the rim. This is a good way to find fresh briar and sharpen the worn edges without loosing any height or proportion of the original design. Next, I patched the missing pieces of the bead line with virgin briar dust. It's nice to have pipe maker friends. Briar shavings from a used pipe will work for patches but fresh briar shavings will except a stain and make easier to blend in.
cDMUxEUl.jpg

This 14K is shape number 88. I have a few other LHS 88's but this is a much larger size. It is comparable to the size difference of a standard size Savinelli and an EX.
SapfPCEl.jpg

Y3dWWhll.jpg

ozMfp0ul.jpg

2HRc1gWl.jpg

zxl8IkAl.jpg

uGy3MQ9l.jpg

4gX948Jl.jpg

Reactions: Peter - CCB

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Holy Smokes! Forgive the pun being it's sunday. That's a real beauty Dave. GREAT JOB My Friend. I'm not seeing any stem damage though. You the man. Your getting closer to that 365 rotation. ! LOL! :mrgreen:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Nice job, nice pipe, and thanks for the pics.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Beautiful Dave ! I think you and that Piffy guy could probably qualify for Bloomington Gold if they had a class for pipes.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Thanks everyone.
@ Jeep

I used thick viscosity cyanoacrylate glue for the briar patch. Put the glue on first then sprinkle the shavings over the glue. Press into place. I used a rolled up piece of belt sander sandpaper to shape the rim then worked up to 3000 grit. It's tedious to do by hand. Dutch told me about some conical drill stones to use. I'll be trying those out soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The before pictures look pretty good, kind of a nice project. The after pictures just glow, that delicate shank and stem blossoming into that commodious bowl. Kinda knocks you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.