Tags:  No tags yet. 

Bulk vs Tin ?

(34 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by maxsmoke
  • Latest reply from diamondback
  1. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

New to pipe smoking and I am wondering when ordering online , or buying at the local B&M shops is there a difference in quality between bulk purchases over a tin “brand name “ purchase?

Are there tell tail signs that I should be looking for if I do decide to try a bulk purchase?
    The reason I am wondering is with the ending of Dunhill’s Early Morning & Night Cap I am tempted to try the bulk alternatives

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never bought bulk, only tins. That is not because I think there is a difference between them, but for storage its just more convienient for me to store tins. That and I am also a fan of good tin art.

But if you are looking at branching out into different English blends, buying small amounts of different ones to try just may be the ticket.

Posted 5 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Bulks are made by brand names too. Less expensive to buy as you aren't paying for the tins. Most of my cellar is bulk.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  4. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Speaking of storage .. I plan on getting some mason jars today for the open tins that I do have. Also as pointed out , an essential requirement for a bulk purchase.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try an ounce or two of the bulk alternatives. See what you think. They may work for you, they may not. I buy both, both for long term aging (cellaring) and more immediate use.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

In my experience, the cost and PITA issues in jarring bulk tobaccos make tins the better long term storage option. But old tins occasionally fail; and at any rate, in some cases, like a discontinued blend, buying a bulk is the only option (like P&C's Match Nightcap). As for the differences in taste, it's hit or miss: for example, I actually prefer Match Elizabethan to the original. Most producers will say their tinned and bulk product are produced in the same manner.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I love quality bulk, and jarring them is as simple as grabbing a flat of canning jars at the supermarket. We do a decent amount of home canning, so I have those on hand (in the actual basement to be exact).

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A guy walks into his tobacconist’sp shop, “Escudo please.”
    “That’s $19.90.”
    “$19.90? That’s outrageous. “
    “Well, a lot of guys say that Stokkebye’s Bullseye scratches the same itch for them, and it comes in bulk.”
    “Alright, give me two ounces.”
    “$8.85, please.”

He packs up his pipe, and...
    Puff puff
    “Wait a minute, this doesn’t taste exactly like Escudo, you jerk.”
    Tobacconist bangs head on wall.

I hear this kind of crap at least once every time I hang out at The Briary. I’m pretty sure it’s why Skip doesn’t let us bring in firearms.

Michael
    Posted 5 months ago #
  9. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

From the start I primarily bought bulk. Loading up a flat of jars was relaxing, and I knew I got the best pricing. Granted, some amazing blends only come in tins, so I amassed more than a few of them. The jarred bulk has held up just fine, though mishaps occur with both jars and tins. I’ve been pleased with perfectly sealed jars even 10-15-20 years old. A pint jar of 18 year old McClelland #2015 is such an exotic thrill to open.

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd posit that bulk and tin of the same blend come out of the same process, the same bins as it were, so the major difference is storage between the wholesaler, retailer, and customer. Tobacco keeps pretty well except for some drying; tins keep the moisture pretty steady. I've bought a fair amount of bulk over the years, and I've found it just fine. Some packaged and pouch tobaccos comes quite dry, such as Five Brothers burley, and the Belgium burley variant Tabac-Manil Semois which comes in a foil wrapped rectangular package, and I have found these excellent, all the more because you aren't paying for the weight of water/moisture, and the smoking is fine. There is a motivation for online retailers to sell well preserved bulk to encourage future orders. At a shop, you can sniff the product and shake it around in the jar perhaps, and make sure it is reasonably fresh. If it is dry and dusty, pass on it. You may find variations and choose not to buy certain bulk blends, but I have not had any complaints.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

As for the differences in taste, it's hit or miss: for example, I actually prefer Match Elizabethan to the original.

As do many others because it's modeled after the earlier Murray's version, not the later STG version.

As for bulk vs tin, one is not superior to the other. And there are something like 30 tinned relabelings of 1Q on the market to satisfy the saps who think that tins are automatically better.

Bottom line for me is, do you like what you're smoking?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just face it.... you may decide to buy tins, you may decide to buy bulk. A year from now you're going to look at your cellar and wonder how you managed to still end up with a 50/50 ratio of both tins and jars

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I've noticed differences in bulk vs tin of the SAME tobacco, let alone alternatives.

In other words, yes, you're likely to notice taste differences between a "brand name" tin and an "alternative brand bulk" tobacco.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Some of my favorites such as Arango Balkan Surpreme only come in bulk thank goodness.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 5 months ago #
  15. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If available in bulk, I'll generally buy that way.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

sokrates

Login to Send PM

I smoked quite a bit of Nightcap and have not tried any of the 'alternative' blends. However, Ten Russian by Hermit Tobacco and Artisans Blend by Ashton both scratch that itch and you are not sacrificing quality at all.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. dadosaurusrex

dadosaurusrex

Login to Send PM

I buy bulk if it's available, especially if it's a blend that I smoke a lot.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    -Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 months ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thankfully most of my favorites only come in tins. I hate jarring stuff as it takes up so much more space than tins. I also really like hearing that woosh when I open a tin that has a decade or more age to it.

Harris
    Posted 5 months ago #
  19. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

^
    Aged jars go whoosh too!

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

In the back of my head, I worry about deciding someday to quit for health reasons. If I did, the aged tins will sell for a lot more than bulk. Seems like when people post aged bulk for sale, it sells for less than current market value. I've bought aged bulk from other people, and it seems like it was improperly stored. So I trend towards tins. But I have a lot of bulk in my cellar too. I'd buy too much bulk when I was starting, and then I drifted away from those blends. So that seems like a waste. If I post that stuff for sale, it will go cheap. Anyone want a few pounds of 1Q? LOL

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. shanez

shanez

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't speak as to differences between bulk vs tin for the same tobacco.

That being said, even when I order tins, I throw 1 oz of 3-4 different bulks on to my order since they're so inexpensive (usually 4 bulk blends for the price of one tin). This gives me an affordable way to try a ton of different blends. And if I happen to like a particular bulk blend, I order anywhere from 4-8 oz when I next order to build up my cellar.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a host of many excellent blends unavailable except as bulk. Arrango Balkan Supreme, F&K Lancer Slices, Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices, several Hearth and Home VAPers like Anniversary Kake, and the many Peter Stokkebye flakes. My first choice is to buy in coin-style tins, but don't hesitate to buy bulk blends then package them in canning jars or 4-mil aluminum mylar heat sealed bags.

The OP's fundamental question was really more about match blends. I have generally been disappointed in those as matches, but they can be good in their own right. Heavier casing is fairly common in those. That said, why not buy an ounce? It's an small gamble.

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a host of many excellent blends unavailable except as bulk. Arrango Balkan Supreme, F&K Lancer Slices, Gawith Hoggarths Westmorland Slices, several Hearth and Home VAPers like Anniversary Kake, and the many Peter Stokkebye flakes come to mind. My first choice is to buy in coin-style tins, but don't hesitate to buy bulk blends then package them in canning jars or 4-mil aluminum mylar heat sealed bags.

The OP's fundamental question was really more about match blends. I have generally been disappointed in those as matches, but they can be good in their own right. Heavier casing is fairly common in those. That said, why not buy an ounce? It's a small gamble.

As for the Dunhill blends, with the rumors swirling of STG Lane picking up the line, it might be wise to wait a few months. Since they were the manufacturer of the most recent versions, they should be unchanged.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. greatdane

greatdane

Login to Send PM

Can anyone testify to the storage longevity of the larger (12 or 16oz) "tub" style tinned tobacco?

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can anyone testify to the storage longevity of the larger (12 or 16oz) "tub" style tinned tobacco?

Not direct experience with anything more than 6 years old. 6 year old stuff I've gotten has been perfect.

Problem I have is would I rather open a very large tin that's 10 + years old and feel obligated to smoke it or does it make more sense to store it in 2 oz portions to match how I'd prefer to smoke it down the road. There are some who claim that really old tobacco needs to be smoked reasonably soon after opening or it turns to "shitdust". I don't think I buy that but I don't really know either. So given the two reasons, I prefer to break it down into smaller portions. Other than convenience, I see no justification for leaving it in the larger tin (unless the larger tin already has some decent age to it).

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. tjsgarden

tjsgarden

Login to Send PM

Like most TAD's I do both.
    When I order bulk, I enjoy designing my own labels to put on pint size Ball jars.
    Avery, the label company has a very good and easy online design program. I use their software and create an original label in less than 5 minutes.

John
    "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  27. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been smoking C&D's Haunted Bookshop for years and always bought it in bulk. Last April, instead of buying the bulk, I bought an 8oz tin. I found the tin version a lot more satisfying. It wasn't as harsh as the bulk and the perique was a lot more toned down. I used to buy bulk C&D blends by the pound, but since I'm cutting down on my tobacco purchases I decided to start buying C&D blends by the tin.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buy bulk primarily. Everyone has a different opinion on tins vs bulk though. I enjoy the jarring process of a large bulk purchase, it is fun

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, some say the jars don't hold up for more than a few years, and some say that the tins don't hold up for more than a few years, and sometimes the same people say both. Square tins, rectangle tins, or round tins, someone has had experiences with something leaking at some point in this forum's existence.

Jarring isn't really all that hard. Just buy new jars or wash some old ones, put tobacco in them, and close them up. There's really nothing more to it.

I will buy tins if they are available, but sometimes buying a five pound bag is just easier or the best option for stocking up. Some delicate "Princess and the Pea" types will report differences in tastes, but I have never detected such a difference to be dramatic, and sometimes from tin to tin I will taste the same differences. YMMV

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Problem I have is would I rather open a very large tin that's 10 + years old and feel obligated to smoke it or does it make more sense to store it in 2 oz portions to match how I'd prefer to smoke it down the road. There are some who claim that really old tobacco needs to be smoked reasonably soon after opening or it turns to "shitdust". I don't think I buy that but I don't really know either. So given the two reasons, I prefer to break it down into smaller portions. Other than convenience, I see no justification for leaving it in the larger tin (unless the larger tin already has some decent age to it).

I think it's six of one and a half dozen of the other. Personal preference. I've done both, and probably will continue to do so. Some bulk I've triple bagged and left it at that. But I live in a mild climate, with indoor humidity ca. 50-60%.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  31. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Cosmic, your forgot label jar. I guess smoking mystery blend could be interesting.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

your forgot label jar.

I didn't want to stir that whole outlaw printer and debilitating circle cutting controversy again, ha ha.
    No, I just slap a mailing label and write blend, date, and weight. And, sometimes I have my own little pet names for blends that I use instead of the one the company gives it. Some names are just stupid. I don't want 5100 in my cellar, so I have renamed it "Tits Up." It gives me joy.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Sometimes it's the small things in life, Cosmic. I totally understand.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Bulk when I can. When stacking the cellar, every penny counts in my case!

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ray47, acidpox, ashdigger, lestrout, snagstangl, jaytex969, geopiper, odobenus, oldgeezersmoker, pitchfork, boffosquid, ben88, disinformatique