PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vondutch68

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
OK, So I've been looking for a forum like this forever so I am going to get it all out. Do you guys

prefer tin tobaccos over bulks or vice versa. Personally tins always seem stale to me.

I come from a long line of pipe smokers and I have been mainly exposed to bulk tobacco.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
For me its tins as the customs duty on tobacco is really high down here and if i am going to get stung i want it kept to a minimum. though i do like the idea of a pound of black frigate turning up in the post

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I buy mostly tins, but that is because so many of the blends I like aren't available as bulk. I have found a few that I like that are in bulk,and plan on adding them to my stash. Bulks always are more cost effective way of building your cellar up.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Central United States
Mostly bulk. I wish some of these companies would go back to the way it used to be. You could purchase tin or bulk. SG & G&H still do this. C&D still does for most their blends (not all). I remember when you could purchase Dunhill tobaccos by the tin or by the pound. Sadly, I had not started stocking up yet. Had I known all this madness was to ensue, I would have. I did start buying SG tobaccos after the Dunhill fiasco, so I've got a little SG in the cellar. I would say my cellar is about 70/30 or 60/40 with the bulk of that being, bulk. :)

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Depends on the brand in my case. For example, Butternut Burley is only offered in bulk AFAIK. But Sunset Breeze is only available in tins.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Bulk if we can get it. With two smokers in the house, we go through more and bulk is cheaper. Also, the tobacco lasts longer in a mason jar than an unsealed tin.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Currently, tins. I'm just trying some of this, some of that, etc etc. So tins make sense at this stage. However, Since I keep ordering more tins, and opening them all to try them, I put everything into mason jars for longer term storage. Had a tin of Robert McConnel Glen Piper go absolutely crispy, so I bit the bullet and bought some mason jars. No biggie.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
My cellar consist of half tins and half bulk. I like both. Tins seem to have a more premium leaf. The bulk blends I get, I find more tobacco stems in. It's not much, but it is enough for me to notice.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You have to love the economics of bulk blends . That being said some blends you can only get in tins . The other thing is sometimes you have to add a tin to get free shipping . It is mostly bulk for me .

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Bulk if i can get it otherwise i could care less as long as I have something to smoke =p.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
As I smoke a very small amount I mostly buy tins. I find them easier to store. I've got a few bulk blends though so have about 5 mason jars on the go too

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Tins for aging. Takes up less space, and most of the blends I keep cellared are not available as bulks.
For that matter, several of the blends I don't cellar aren't available in bulk, either.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree with Jud. Tins, for convenience you can't beat 'em.

Mason jars are great for bulks and leftovers; but for aging, buying by the tin is cheaper and more convenient.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
Probably 75-80% of my tobacco is in bulk. I like the economics of bulk and I've never had a problem with storing it in canning jars.
Smokey

Status
Not open for further replies.