Building a Pipe Rack - What Type of Wood to Use?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Okay guys, I am going to build a pipe rack this weekend (Sunday) and I need some advice on which type of wood would be most economical and still look good!
Here are the plans that I drew up the other day...
rackplans.png

and here is the cardboard "proof of concept"...
IMG_3077.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

So any ideas on a type of wood? Any other ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance guys!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I use a lot of oak, red oak will be a bit more expensive than white. with careful selection you can do a pretty nice job in pine. Cherry is easy to work with. I don't know what it sells for out that way though. Here I get most of mine free.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Bubba,...Lowe's usually has a small selection of 1/2" dimension woods that you may want to go look at, red oak and maple are usually available. That's where I'm going.

Southeast Door and Plywood is a great place to start.

The 1/2" stuff might mess with your layout though if you based it on 3/4" stuff.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I would imagine you could use anything except balsa. Savinelli needs that stuff.

For inexpensive wood, pine would do and you can stain it any color you wish. It is a soft wood though. Black and American walnut would be my first choice with cherry being second. Another attractive wood is mahogany but it can be expensive.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
Poplar is easy on the blades, easy to sand and stain. Usually has slight blush in the wood and the stains brings out contrast with the grain.
Red Oak is good, routes and stains well.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
First off "HOLY SH!T BATMAN" that is one hell of a draft and carboard display, nice job, the carboard display needs a bit of paint and forget the wood. Just kidding, Cherry and Balck Walnut, once stained make awesome display cases, one of my bosses is a cabinet maker in his spare time and sold me on the black walnut and cherry.

winston

Lurker
Aug 16, 2010
What will you use to create the part where the bowl sits? I've been thinking about doing this to, not as big as yours, but wasn't sure how to get the bowl seat right. Nice plans and model.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I am not sure Winston! If all else fails I will just cut out holes...
Well it looks like I am going to be putting it off for a week, hurt my ankle today and have to stay off of it for a few days :(

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I don't know of the wood, but I hope you don't mind that I borrow those plans to make one of my own one of these weekends! :D

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I am not sure Winston! If all else fails I will just cut out holes...
I built a couple of racks. First I used a spade drill, but it has a long pilot point, then I tried a Forester bit with better results, shorter guide drill. Most racks have a oblong / rounded pipe bole hole made with a rounded router bit.
I did not care to build a jig for the setup. Years ago, I email a guy that built custon racks and asked about the oblong routed hole and he didn't want to share his method of building/using a jig. Guess he thought I would be competition.
If you use 3/8" material, you could flat bottom the hole sau 1/4" deep and then cover the bottom with thin feltto hide the pilot hole. Just a thought
Lowes has a rack with thin Poplar and Oak for rack materials.1/4,3/8 and 1/2 thick materials 1 to 3" wide.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
When you drill your holes , use a 1/4 bit as a pilot hole .when you switch to the forester bit drill half way then flip the board over to reduce your chances of the splinter out .

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I used rek oak and dark stain, it looks good. If I was computer savy I would post a pic.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Bubba, up this way cherry is a fence row pest tree. I get paid to remove them. Trade for sawing and air dry.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
I would think just about any wood would work... although I wouldn't use balsa! I'd just pick a wood I like.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I think the first one I am going to make out of pine, after that I am going to move up to more expensive woods! The pipe is going to be my "Proof of a Proof Concept" haha....

Status
Not open for further replies.