My Sons said "Dad, let's build you a nice fire pit area in backyard

so you can enjoy anytime you want"....so the project is on...will post

stages of our build in this thread...great lil project. We have an old

willow stump in backyard I'm taking out and making the center of the

fire pit area...

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I've started to build one several times. Unfortunately, we are always in a drought, and we pretty much have a constant burn ban. There are ways of getting around the law, but it requires screens, etc....and I just haven't felt creative enough to go that far yet.
I'm envious of you. I think you will find great enjoyment and peace in it, even more so that your sons will be a part of it. Can't wait to see the pics.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have bought about 6 firepits over the last 16 years for the sole purpose of sitting outside and smoking a cigar, and more recently a pipe. It also allows me to clear my yard of fallen branches and anything I cut down. Fire GOOD

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Excellent. Like yaz, I have a fire pit (been through several over the years) and on a cool evening in the spring or fall there is little better than sitting by the fire with a pipe.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Great idea dragon. Why don't you dig around the willow stump and burn it out? I love campfires and fire pits, they bring me close to the elements. I had some great pipe smoking nights a few weeks ago when I went camping in New Mexico thanks to a warm campfire.
Can't wait to see the finished product. Take lots of pics!

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Last year I added a paver patio and a fire pit and it was a hit with everyone in my family and beyond. I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do so my only advice is build it quick so that you'll enjoy it all summer. Good luck!

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Funny that you brought this topic up. Yesterday was the first day my Wife and I lit our firepit. I paved out a 10 foot diameter gravel pit in my yard specifically for a firepit that we bought last week. It was the perfect weather and I had a bowl and she had finally enjoyed a real roasted marshmallow. It was much more enjoyable than we thought it would be, and it will now be a fixture for cool Summer nights.

photo6-600x450.jpg

Shutterbug

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
We do a lot of burns. We burn all of our paper trash, and will usually add in whatever scrub brush I've cleared or a bit of limb from trees I've taken for firewood. Sadly, it's starting to get too hot down here in Dixie. So, other than small trash burns,I'll likely be on bonfire hiatus until October.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Check your local codes. I just had the fire dept here because some asshole smelled smoke. I've had and used mine on my deck for like 12 years and never had a problem until tonight. It's 2ft short of the 15' minimum. I can no longer use it because someone doesn't have enough sense to close their window or decency to knock and ask if I'd put it out because it's bothering them. And people wonder why I spend so much time in the woods. Unbelievable.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you do not want the floor of the pit below ground level.. a little rain and ashes make a stinky mess.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I Love to enjoy a quiet evening around the fire. I keep this little cast iron burner on my patio.

dcrguns

Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
Here is a pic of my fire pit with my Askwith Morta. It is a propane gas fire pit and works great. Turns on and off very easy and easy to control the flame. Very sketchy around here with real wood burning fires. We have had several bad forest fires and this is easier to control.
002-600x400.jpg

philthy

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
We have a small metal fire pit/grate currently that everyone in the family loves. Sitting around the fire enjoying my pipe is my (and the wife's) favorite. Buying a new house soon and the built in version is already in the plans.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I enjoy having bonfires in my backyard. Nothing better than a fire, a pipe, and beverage of choice!

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Nice firepits guys! I got tired of backstabbin' neighbors years ago (and barking dogs and loud trashy music), packed my stuff and bought 26 acres high up in the CO Rockies. Never looked back.
There's something about sitting around a campfire that puts a mind at ease. The cooked food always tastes better too..and cold beer.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Saw the title and groaned! A nice firepit is on my "honey do" list this summer. Yours will be done before mine is even started!

Status
Not open for further replies.