PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Medico and Yello-Bole make Brylon pipes in New York State, I think it is. They are still sold online by various retailers. Brylon is a composite patented material invented in the 1960's. Pipe hobbyists don't commend or recommend them mostly. I don't own one, but have always been interested in their longevity in the pipe market. Here are the cons and pros as I know them. The cons are: Brylon is heavy for its size, it burns hot, and it has never attained an avid following in the pipe hobby community. Only one or two people have highly recommended Brylon pipes on Forums. The pro aspects of Brylon pipes are: The prices are really low, most of these going from about $16 to about $22, hence perhaps attracting people who wish to try pipe smoking without spending much money. The Brylon material is unusually durable; you can drop, scrape, hit, and soil these, and they will clean right up with soap and water, looking about like they did new, it is said. One of the best recommendations for Brylon was made by a Forums member who worked in fire damage reclamation where his pipe got coated with grease, ash, grit, and water, with no problem. One or two others who used these as car or boat pipes find them valuable for the same reasons of durability. Ever owned a Brylon pipe? Could you tell us about it?

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I have a Medico brylon I bought from a pharmacy in the late 90's. I really can't say anything good about it other than it looks like a "real" pipe (as opposed to a cob, that was my line of thinking back then). It burns super hot and it's heavy. Since that purchase I have grown to love cobs and will sing their praises all day long. Now having said all of that, I do still have them pipe, but I'm not sure why :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess I don't feel good about Brylon pipes attracting beginners with their low price. I think a person is much more likely to take up pipe smoking with an MM cob. Brylon pipes may be the most sold least smoked pipes available. A few people do feel the durability is worth the weight and heat problems.

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I didn't event think about the beginner aspect. I'll bet you are right on the money though. I can't imagine how many purchase a brylon as their first pipe, then get close to burning off their fingerprints with the first bowl!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have been tempted to get a Brylon pipe as a research project, but if it were on the rack or even in a drawer, I'd feel obligated to smoke it from time to time, which I doubt I'd enjoy. Then I might be tempted to "gift" it to someone or donate it to a good cause, which I couldn't do in good conscience, so I remain a bystander on Brylon pipes. I feel badly that people buy a Brylon pipe as a first pipe experience, then toss it in a dumpster never to try again. How do you hold the thing to tamp it once it's heated up?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I don't have any brylon pipes, but I did end up with a pipe called "The Pipe" in a mixed lot of estates. It looks brand new but I've not test driven it yet.
On the "Materials and construction" page of Pipedia, "The Pipe is described as pyrolytic graphite/phenolic resin, while Brylon is described as High Temperature Resin and Wood Flour.
Has anyone dared to smoke both? If so, what comparison and contrast exists?
Maybe I'll have to run it through a test for the sake of science...
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, I think "The Pipe" is by Dr. Grabow. I don't think it has the heat problem, but I suspect it has the weight problem. Maybe you could try them as an experiment, and if they are as uninviting as we are suspecting, you could pass them along somewhere with fair warning that these are not "typical pipes." I've never pitched out a pipe, but for these, I might make an exception. I sure wouldn't want to send these to vets or active duty service people for an enjoyable experience to let them feel supported from home.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yes I owned The Pipe, it scorched me twice, the first smoke and realizing I’d spent hard earned $’s on the worst pipe ever.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops. My mistake. The Pipe also has the overheating problem. Which once again illustrates the miracle of briar. Thanks fish'.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
It seems that it's a timely post about brylon pipes as it appears they're going to the graveyard with Frog Morton and Dunhill.

Seeing this thread reminded me that I need to select a new car pipe. The cob that lived in my car door for the last yr or two may be fubar. Has anyone tried the salt and alchohol treatment on a cob? Although, the stem is ever so slightly crooked and I think that's what caused one side to burn into the wall making a mangled bowl shape.

Anyway, I thought mb to try brylon in the car, mb it would not be disturbed so much by extremes in temperature and if it did get car nasty could clean up easily. And in the winter i can comfortably wear welding gloves to ward off third degree burns. So I looked at some estates, I saw a cool yello bole nosewarmer sort of poker sitter but all in pretty rough shape. So I checked the big pipe retail sites and medico and yellow bole were not even in their list of brands save for medico filters. I did find one model after several sites not having any but that site was sold out of all but one model.

So is this a thing? No more brylon? Did we miss it mourning frog Morton? Well, I do t think they will be missed much but I wouldn't be surprised if what were once the cheapest estates around suddenly move up in perceived value. In so far as once somethings gone everyone suddenly loves it and wants more at any cost. You can proby think of an example...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have a Yello Bole brylon, and can't find my 'the pipe' but, I bought them during my first year of piping in 2014 and as I've become more or less proficient with the technique, I appreciate their durability, almost meerschaum like non transfer of flavors, and appearance.

I usually have one or the other in my car, which is exposed to high heat and humidity about 75% of a year.
I didn't spend more than $10 bucks for either one. The stem on the The Pipe is kinda tooth friendly, also.

Coax your fire for best results.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
newbroom, thanks for your counterpoint on this. I especially like the point about these pipes not transferring flavors, and their resistance to heat and humidity in vehicles. There's some reason they have hung on a long time. Apparently a lot of new pipe smokers buy them (I'm guessing) but that can't be the only market. I notice on PC the Brylon pipes are listed as no longer available. Because of their durability, they'll be around into the distant future. I may not buy one, but I do understand that for some, they fill a useful niche.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have a Yello Bole brylon I bought as an experiment to answer the question "can it really be that bad".
It does tend to burn hot. Mine tends to smoke wet. I am probably smoking it too fast.
It's only benefit is that as long as you don't allow it to build cake, it won't retain any flavors, and thus offers a "pure smoke" every time.
I've probably honestly smoked it less than a half dozen times.
I'll more than happily send it your way MSO489 if you would like it to experiment with.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
michigan', thank you for the kind offer. I think I'll pass, just because I like to keep all my briars, cobs, several Mountain Laurel, and a Cocobolo pipe regularly smoked, and there are quite a few.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well here's my two cents... I bought a Yello-bole Brylon pipe some time ago because it was real cheap, and I was curious about how they smoked. I can't find anything positive to say about it other than it seems rather durable. Hottest thing I've ever smoked! (well maybe about like a clay) But at least a clay has some historical point to them, and they look rather cool.

Here's a pic my wife snapped of me in cooler weather smoking the miserable thing. You can tell by the look on my face I wasn't exactly enjoying the experience!
img_0484-600x504.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, your expression is a perfect and complete review of the joys of smoking a Brylon pipe. Distress, skepticism, with a pinch of sorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.