Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
Has Butz Choquin ever made brylon pipes to anyones knowledge? The "briar" pipe that I bought at a flea market feels almost like plastic!! I can't shake the odd feeling.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm not familiar with BC using alternative materials for their pipes. Brylon is pretty much the property of Yello-Bole. BTW, they are horrible pipes. I have a Brylon that I keep to remind me of how far I've come in 44 years.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A brylon pipe is pretty indestructible. If you need a tack hammer or reflex tapper, they'll come in quite handy.

Not what I'd call clenchers, unless you've got metal teeth, cuz they're pretty heavy.

I made one mistake. oops...make that two...during my first few days of buying pipes online, I got a yello bole and a The Pipe.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
So then I can assume its briar? Here is a photo that is somewhat of a close up. It seems to have grain...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd say you've got briar right there. I've got two Butz Choquins and they're both very NICE briars.

My Yello Bole brylon IS lighter than my THE PIPE....I was cleaning the bowl after a smoke once and the bottom of the bowl came out like an egg shell...a thin layer of yello 'shell'...haven't bothered with it since.

yllwbeard

Lurker
Nov 23, 2014
That is great news for me...sorry about your broken pipe... is it far to say I got a deal when I only paid 6 dollars for it? haha

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
I agree on all counts: Brylon is horrible and your BC looks to be briar.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have had a couple pipes in the pipe cave that were briar, but which felt plasticy...
Rest assured they were briar, but the rough edges of the blast had been worn smooth by use. Further, the briar was good and (deceptively) light.
-- Pat

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Really well aged quality briar can sometimes feel that way. When I got my first really nice pipe, an unsmoked early Ashton, at an antique store I was shocked at how light and "plastic" the pipe felt. It smokes like a dream! I have a feeling that certain finishes also lead to the plastic feeling.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I had a terrible dream once that all my antique meerschaums had been stolen and replaced with copies made from Brylon that had been painted white to resemble meerschaum. I actually got up and went downstairs to check the damn things to make sure it was just a dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.