PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Has anyone who has purchased one of the old-stock Bruyere St. Claudes from Smokingpipes experienced any finish problems? I got one of the Extra Billiards, and it's a great smoking flake pipe; great size for flake, good draw, etc. But it seems that when it gets a little warm, the finish seems to get tacky. No bubbling or blisters. I am wondering if they were found as raw stummels and only recently finished, resulting in an inadequate cure time. Any thoughts?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Haven't noticed this issue with mine, but I've only smoked it twice so far...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
phred, what type of stem did you get on yours? Mine is vulcanite, but is suspiciously pristine and shiny to have been made between 1910 and 1930.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I doubt the vulcanite stems are vintage. 30+ years of oxidation would cost more to buff out than starting with fresh stock.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
fmgee-thanks for the link. I thought I vaguely remembered a discussion about them, but couldn't find it for some reason.
bigpond-yeah, that's why I was wondering about phred's. I could believe the horn stems are vintage, but not the vulcanites.
I really do like the pipe, and SP might not even have any left to exchange. I'd rather head off the bubbling problem Bradley had, so I guess I'll just remove the finish and turn it into a "natural".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mine had a very thin coat of shellac or varnish. Peeling and discoloring. Pretty easy to remove with Everclear and a rag. Looks pretty decent now.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
What a timely post. I was just perusing the repair/maintenance section for tips on removing the coating. Of course, I got totally sidetracked reading a different thread...big surprise there! Now to get some Everclear.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Or, if you have paint thinner, varnish remover, acetone etc. may save you a trip. But Everclear is probably least invasive of those groupings.
OTOH, you might be able to remove it with a scouring sponge and detergent!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think I'll try the grain alcohol method first. As you mentioned, the coating is very thin, so I probably won't need anything super aggressive. I'm also a little afraid of thinner or acetone leaving a chemical smell in the briar.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
If I remember correctly, which isn't always the case, this is the third report of finish issues with these pipes here on the forum. I have two St Claude Bruyere pipes (Extra Acorn & Dux Depose Billiard) and so far I have been fortunate not to experience any issues with the finish. Neither one of them gets smoked very often though so I guess time will tell if the finish holds up or not? :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I imagine the hottest they'll ever get is the first few smokes, due to not being broken in. If your finish is holding up during the break-in process, you may not wind up having any problems at all. And when I say broken in, I mean the whole seasoning/carboning/caking thing, and the pipe breaking you into the way it smokes. Sometimes I have to get to "know" a particular pipe before I can bring the best out of it. BTW, do yours have a very light, almost natural colored finish, or a more standard darker finish?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Yes it does take a little time to learn how a pipe smokes. I find that often they have their own personalities and preferences. I would say that mine are more on the natural lighter side as far as finish is concerned. Here's a couple pics.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Well, there goes that theory! Mine is about the same color as your billiard. I thought that maybe the darker ones had a more substantial finish, and maybe that was why they had no problems dealing with heat.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I really like both pipes but hold a slight preference for the billiard. I was hoping to snap up one of the Lovats too but didn't end up getting one.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on SP to see if they get more in. I'm kind of intrigued by the horn stemmed models. Never had one.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I've never had one either. You have to be quick when they come up for sale because they disappear in a flash. I don't know if they are done with these pipes or if they have more to release in the future?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Mine's a vulcanite stemmed billiard, basically the same model as jkrug's second photo. If I recall the other thread (and some info from the Radio Show) on "new old stock" pipes, it's entirely likely that the stummels were in storage, and have had new bits fitted prior to sale.
Having worked with horn in the past, I'm curious about those stems as well... :D

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
I wanted to chime in because I bought one of the "Extra" with Horn stem Bruyere St. Claude pipes and after a few bowls the finish on mine (what I suspect is just a light waxing) started to come off in a few places. I didn't worry about it and continued to smoke. Well, now that it's been weeks and probably 50 bowls and I just hit the whole thing with a Savinelli Magic Cloth after every few smokes (any polishing cloth impregnated with wax will do), and the entire pipe looks great.
For what it's worth, any smooth pipe will eventually dull and need polishing. I'm excited to watch mine darken and develop a lovely patina over the years. I only regret not buying 2 or 3 of them!
Hope this helps!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks, Shane. I think quite a few of us wish we had jumped on more of these. They really are a great pipe for the price, and hopefully more of them turn up. Have you tried yours with fold and stuff flake yet? Mine works like a dream for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.