PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone wanted to talk about G&H twist tobacco. I'm just finishing a bowl of it in a clay churchwarden from the Netherlands - no idea how old the pipe is but it seemed older, maybe 10+ years old? I have to say I'm really enjoying smoking twists in my clay pipes. I used to smoke Black Irish but I realised the Brown twists have more flavour to me, a kind of lovely old, fire-cured, earthy and spicy taste. Not too complicated obviously but clays seem to work like meerschaums, allowing me to taste them better. I also find I don't need to dry the tobacco as much for the clay, I just shredded some coins and loaded them up and they burn to white ash. Maybe it's psychological but does anyone else think clays are really well suited to this kind of thing? I suppose this is exactly the kind of tobacco they were invented for. I'd recommend you try a twist in one if you get the chance

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
In the absence of being able to measure objectively the hundreds? of factors contributing to the subjective impressions of the palate, I think that claims that a particular pipe smokes well or that a pipe and tobacco pairing was made in heaven are of no significant value. They cannot be substantiated. But I'm glad that you are enjoying pairing your clay with brown rope, and that you are enjoying the tobacco. It is an awesome tobacco, the taste and the nicotine what the doctor ordered for a pick-me-up!
Thee black is an entirely different smoke than the brown. Far more dark, and with a surprising complexity under that dark surface, weedy and variegated. I quite enjoy it and have smoked far more of it than the brown, which although I've always had some on hand, I avoided getting to know until the last year. I smoke the brown in a small cob and it never fails to kick my *ss!

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
That's a fair point, I've always found it too subjective when someone claims a particular tobacco is at home in a particular pipe. I would say though for what it's worth that I always get a very dry, cool smoke in a clay, particularly a churchwarden, but I think the length helps there. The dryness of the clay helps when rope can be so damp. I remember the black was very rich and I got a lot of complicated flavours from it, they're two completely different smokes as you said. Maybe my pallet isn't refined enough but the brown seems easier to fathom for me, like I can detect the constituents a bit better. Maybe it's similar to how flake versions of some tobaccos seem more married together in flavour, like leaving a curry overnight to stop the spices from being too individually harsh, or at least I think so. I always think ropes are a lot smoother than people give credit, but you're right about the strength - I just smoke slowly on a full stomach, always sitting down mind you!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I love the brown twists, but I've never smoked a clay. The twists are great in my briars and mortas. Brown Irish X and a few other brown twists are my mainstay lately. Oddly I've not tried a black twist, but I will.
I may have permanently altered my palette. A year ago I posted how much I hated G&H, now it's almost all I smoke.

Lately my menu has been heavy:

G&H Brown Irish X

sweet maple twist

sweet cherry twist

sweet rum twist

happy brown bogie

brown twist sliced

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
Do you have a favourite sweetened twist, alexnc? I really enjoyed a sample of sweet rum twist I tried, do you also find differences in taste between brown irish and brown bogie?

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
They're lightly seasoned - probably the sweet rum, it seems more prominent than the maple or cherry to me.
Brown Irish vs Bogie? Not so sure - I need to think about it side by side. The Irish X might have a bit more spice, the bogie may have a bit more earthy feel. They're somewhat similar, both strong nic hit and full. My palette is different day to day, I really need to smoke them both in the same session, which I've not done. They both have a dark natural sweetness, a little nuttiness. If I had one on hand I might not feel the need to add the other now that I've smoked them both a few times.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I never have smoked a clay pipe but I love me a twist in a briar. I slightly prefer Brown Bogie over Brown Irish X but I love them all actually, even the flavored ones are great! I love the coconut one.

Jan 8, 2013
Gawith & Hogarth Sweet Rum Twist always goes in my clay tavern pipe. It's a great combination. And it's perfect when I'm watching movies or shows based during the 1700's :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.