PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Brown Bogie is also known as happy bogie. When I was a chisler a bogie was green not brown, although it did hang in ropes from my nose when I was milling about and booting a ball through a pair of goal posts made from jumpers.

I believe bogie is also used as a golfing term but there was very little in the way of golf round our way. Anyway this is rope is rather thin and rather dense and was said to be chewed by miners as they hacked away at the coal face.

The rope smells rich dark and sweet, I cut some coins with a laguiole knife and then quartered the coins and left them dry for a while.

Gravity pack, light tamp and I was ready to go. Upon the real light I was getting just a hint of tonquin and a little sweetness. This tobacco does not having any topping so I imagine when it was sitting about in the Gwaith Hoggarth factory that is picked up a whiff of Lakeland.
As I smoked on the slight Lakeland ghost left off and strong loamy tobacco flavors came to the fore although a nice hint of sweetness lingered on. This tobacco put me very much in mind of a cigar, perhaps something along the lines of a Ramón Allones Specially Selected.
It made for a grand evening smoke along with a glass of Clontarf Whiskey.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It has always amazed me that brown ropes are stronger than black twist. I have never understood why although I have heard a butt load of theories on the subject over the years. My only complaint is that America ropes have a lovely habit of unwinding so that you wind up with a pocket or jar of leaves. I tend to bind them up with twine so that as you slice the tobacco off the rope keeps its integrity. This was a method used by sailors in the 19th century with a high degree of success.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I dare not to try SG Brown No. 4 (at least for now) after I tried SG Black Twist XX. I do like the taste of Black Twist XX but its kick always keep me spinning, even when I just add a slice of it to mix with my pure VA mixture, I thought that would be okay but then there is still a bit of spinning near the end of the tasteful smoke.

Oct 12, 2014
"It has always amazed me that brown ropes are stronger than black twist. I have never understood why although I have heard a butt load of theories on the subject over the years."
They are steamed "cooked" if you will and they release nicotine in the process.
Love the ropes! My favorites!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Love it ... great way to finish up an evening or jump start your day. :puffy:
img_20150205_163931-600x442.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds delicious! I have some Brown Bogie and Black Twist XX in my cabinet but have yet to try it.

I'm still working my way up to those heavy hitters....I'm a little skeered you might say. :puffy:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Go for it jkrug! Start with a small bowl or a half bowl and be sure to stop when you feel the waves washing over you. It's really not as bad as you've read as long as you know when to stop. I've been kicked a lot harder by cigars.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
My nicotine tolerance has declined over the years so that I can't smoke most ropes straight any more but I had the odd bowl of an old rope of Brown Boogie that I was given many years ago that was less potent (and very good). Alas, the last time I reached for it the final ~5" had a few spots so it's gone.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
You are probably right ericusrex. I think I'll try a wee bowl one night this week and see how it goes. :)

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Ropes and twists just scare the crap out of me, truth me told. If you stick an XX on the send of something, it worries me.
Also, when the name involves "Bogie".....well I just struggle there. Someday I'll man up and give it a whirl!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Its not all that bad Tarak. You just need to take it slow and easy until you are familiar with it.
Cosmic - second bowl from the left on your pipe rack, what is it, aside from very nice?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
For the first five years that I smoked I stayed well away from rope. But when I had a few years under my belt, my curiosity got the better of me, and I bit. I've been hooked on HO tobacco since and even smoked all HO for a couple years. But then reason prevailed in the form of thousand of other blends out there that were not of this voltage. Now I smoke HO and !HO equally, though at night I turn into a nicotine vampire and sup on Dark Flake almost every day; or Condor, or 1792, or Black Rope or Brown Rope, etc., etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.