PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have posted here recently on how my brother, eighteen years my senior is my pipe smoking mentor.

When he found out that I took up the briar he reached out to me to encourge me. We had some great conversations about the love of smoking and I learned so much.
We have been getting together more and more. We realize that aside from pipes we are really cut from the same cloth. We share an interest movies,politics, literature and temperament.

I know that his influence has guided my path in life.

He is retired from the same railroad that I am currently working. I made my way onto the job years after he had left and though the landscape is vastly different from when he left. We share stories and laugh endlessly at the characters that keep the trains running. I have to say that his stories always seem crazier and always funnier.
He mentioned that a local B&M had a crazy sale on HH Dark Fired near our father's house. I had to go to Dad's to help him around the house and my brother said he would show up to help me out. I stopped by the B&M and as he said they had tins of MacBarens at a great price. I bought out their supply of DF and a tin of Plum Cake for myself and a tin of Virginia no.1 for my brother as I told him it was one of my favorites. I also brought a tin of Capstan Blue. I thought that a few tins would offset all of the pipes and tobaccos he had given me.
When I got to dad's he was there with a bag of tins for me. So much for paying back. He had a tin of McClellend's Dark Star with about 10 years of age, a tin of Peterson Irish Whiskey that was about 13 years old and a tin of Frog Morton Over The Pond that he had opened but only smoke a bowl.

What a fun day! He had me laughing so hard I almost fell off of a ladder. happy times.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I grew up as an only child, so when I had my first son, I was determined to provide him with a sibling. Now I have two boys. The bond you and your brother have for each other is the bond I hope my boys will have, when I'm old and gone. Nothing stronger than family ties. Thanks for pointing that out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds like a great bond between brothers. Pipes and railroading. Had a long time friend, now gone, who came from a

railroading family. Had a full size railroad crossing sign in his house, and collected railroad table ware and other

collectibles. It's almost like a society within itself, railroading. Also, the pocket watches -- he had a dozen or more.

He grew up in Weldon, N.C., near the Virginia border, when that was a significant railroad hub, now gone. I grew up

on the Chicago Northwestern commuter line, and would meet the trains and get dusted by the cinders from the

steam locomotives, old Baldwins if I remember, and hear them getting up steam in the middle of the night to start

uphill. Sometimes, they couldn't get moving and had to get up steam again. I have never lived, except at sea, beyond

the sound of a railroad.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
That's great, my brother just liked to pick on me and make me eat grass.... Not fun

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a wonderful day, Jim!
Older brothers will always hold the trump card because they're older brothers.
But, talk about grace. You were able to help your dad and then share some tobaccos, memories and laughs with an older sibling.
I can promise you he appreciated your gifts as much as you appreciated his.
Fnord

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your recent history with us. It's a joy to be able to read a note about connection, particularly brotherly connection.
Congrats on your renewed relations; nicely done.
-- Pat

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
That's an awesome story, OP!
I'm the 2nd of 3 brothers and it was the opposite for me. I took up cigars first and then my older brother followed suit. Now, that I'm more into the pipe, he's looking into it now, too. It's great having some kind of common bond with our brothers other than blood (we don't really have much in common, especially since I'm a skateboarder and he's a body builder). He stayed the night over my place this weekend, so the following morning, I asked him to join me on a morning smoke. It was fun showing him the how-to's of the hobby and getting him going. Shoot, I'd even go as far as to say my dad's getting into it, too. Ever since I picked up the briar, it's been a topic of our conversations now (especially now that breaking bad is over). My dad seems really interested in it.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
Fantastic story twang! Nothing builds stronger relationships than pipes and tobacco (except maybe war).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I really enjoyed that story!

My only brother is 10 years younger than me, and I wish I could say that we are that close, but alas, he is an idiot! His only goals in life are to do as little as possible to help himself, mooch off of my parents until they're gone, never have to pay for rent, clothing, vehicles, insurance, or food, and never work at any job for more than 3 months.

Now, we do like a few of the same things, such as guns, hunting, fishing and camping, but that's about as far as it goes.

He does like tobacco, but he prefers cigars.

I rarely invite him over, because he usually wants to eat everything I have, drink all my beer, borrow my fishing equipment, smoke my tobacco, borrow my tools (of course everything he borrows, he never intends to return). Not to mention, he only bathes about once every two weeks, so he smells to high heaven, and wears the same filthy clothes all the time!

Needless to say, he and I were raised completely different from each other!

Now granted, I may not be the most ambitious person in the world, but I at least finished high school, went to college for a while, got a good job, support myself and my wife, and have a place to live and a few nice things to go in it!

Oh by the way, he's planning on getting married next year! He doesn't even have a steady job or a place to live, except with my parents!
I'm sorry Twang, I didn't mean to rant so long, and I'm very glad that you have that kind of relationship with your brother. But man, my brother just pisses me off!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Oh by the way, the reasons I gave for not inviting him over( drinking my beer, eating my food, and smoking my pipes) do not apply to my friends. I know that when I go to their houses that I am welcome to drink their beer, ect. Therefore, they are welcome to mine!

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
LOL @ Z Petes03... I have other brothers that are like that in some ways. Hopefully the one marries straightens him out. Don't give up. He has some redeeming qualities. He is blood afterall

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I sure hope so Twang! The bad thing is, the one he's marrying is about as bad as he is! It'll be a long, dark trip through the tunnel before there's any light I'm afraid!

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Twang:
That is one terrific story you have told. You might also enjoy the movie "The Straight Story" with Richard Farnsworth. It is slow but MOVING and has lots to say especially about brothers.
I'm going to light up a bowl now and reflect on your post, again.
Thanks for sharing!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As number 4 son in a brood of 4 boys and one girl, I can attest to the joys, and occasional annoyances, of siblings. When weighed in the balance, the joys far outweigh the annoyances.
I like my family. Aside from the occasional acts of narcotics trafficking, white slavery, embezzlement, fraud, influence peddling, money laundering, grand larceny, and homicide, they're good people.
Unfortunately, I'm the only pipe smoker. But I can forgive them that.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
You're a lucky man.
My older brother and I are exact opposites, not much in common. But brothers blood does run deep, and I'd do anything for him, and know he'd do the same for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.