PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I just received 2 vintage lighters from my FIL. One Zippo (early- mid 60's) and a Brother Lite (Mid 60's from japan). I cleaned up the Zippo case and am aware that you can send old Zippos in for repair, but may not as I have others and can swap internals easily. The Brother Lite I do believe could be back in working order, but I cannot find any sites on this particular brand or how to fix them. Exploded views would be great as I need to make sure I put it back together correctly.
Any help would be appreciated.
-jason

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Pictures as requested. Anyone know a site for repair information for these lighters.
brotherlite.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
This site is listed as a vintage lighter repair shop:
http://www.elegantlighters.com/Discount-Vintage-Lighters-s/1831.htm
This is also a vintage lighter repair center:
http://authorizedrepairservice.com/
And this is the third place:
http://www.lighterrepairs.com/repair_lighters.asp

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I guess since most of those sites don't repair Japan made gas lighters, it will end up being more of a conversation piece more or less. I may take it apart again and maybe I put some thing together wrong. It might just need a new flint, but taking it apart may be the only way to be sure.
Thanks for the help hobie1dog!
-Jason

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
So after not really finding any related articles for this lighter, I decided to take it apart again and see what issues it had. The trigger mech is the tricky part on these lighters, but it had to come out so I could get to the flint hole below the striker. The hole was completely closed up. I had to use a small drill bit(by hand)to clean it out, so the flint would meet the striker. I probably spent 5 mins doing this, but more than an hour putting the trigger mechanism back in. Took me about 7-8 attempts(I almost stopped as it was getting late), but finally got everything back in a tightend down. Put a flint in and she strikes perfectly. Just need to get some gas (butane) for it.

Just thought I'd update you guys on the fix.
-Jason

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
oh no, it was very tedious and aggravating, but I was quite satisfied that I did not give up on it and go to bed. I showed the wife first thing this am...she didn't seem impressed. LOL! Now I need to polish it up more, that picture makes it seem really dirty.
-Jason

melontrout

Lurker
Jan 24, 2013
I'm having the same issue with a brother-lite I just received. Had to bore out the flint hole and now can't get the thing back together. Driving me insane!!!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Being a Colibri dealer for many years I had to try to fix these crappy lighters for angry clients who couldn't understand why a 50 -100 lighter wouldn't lite.
The nerve of these people-- :)
I've taken apart so many of these things...
Lighter repair is not so easy.

Especially when the thing is a piece of junk to start
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.