PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
In addition to my pipe collection and my tobacco cellar I also collect books about pipe smoking and tobacco ephemera, such as tampers, cool old tins, signage etc.; the stuff I look for is generally from the mid-twentieth century onward, I leave the really old stuff for others. Several weeks ago while on the prowl I found an odd tin of tobacco I had never seen before. After some time searching the web for info I came up dry. So I am asking you, my fellow pipe smoking enthusiasts, for any info you may have on this tin. It comes from the Brooks Brothers clothing store in New York City, presumably this was the "proper" blend for the well heeled gentleman to smoke and retain the style and sophistication Brooks Brothers clothiers are known for, any info you may have would be appreciated.

BB1 by kynoch375, on Flickr

Thanks,

Philobeddoe

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I'm guessing there was no Latakia involved and I bet it was just as overpriced as their other items ;)
Love to hear if anyone knows the story behind it.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I don't know anything about Brooks Brothers pipe tobacco. However, since the address listed on the tub shows a zip code, it would have been produced after 1963, when zip codes were first introduced.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bet there's a simple explanation in terms of the provenance of this tobacco, the way the Tinder Box

blends can all be correlated with the blenders that source them. The Brooks Brothers p.r. department

might be able to dig up the source of the tobacco, especially if they have an old hand in charge and

the p.r. isn't being handled by a twenty-year-old. Twenty-year-olds are great, but they aren't noted

for institutional memory. Old geezers and geezettes know that records were kept before Google and

Wikipedia, and know where to dig them up.
Old saying: "A new broom sweeps cleanest, but an old broom knows where the dirt is."

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I would have thought Kevin would be all over this. Tobacco to match his fine and extensive wardrobe =)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This Brooks Brothers tobacco blend reminds me of the house pipes done by Disneyland and L.L. Bean (and others).

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've exchanged messages with a friend of mine that lives here in St. Pete that happens to be a regional manager for Brooks Brothers. She said:
Many many thanks for being such a loyal customer. It's so awesome to see your passion for BB! I will see if I can't get you an invite to that 200th birthday party in 2018! ; )

I am heading to NYC tomorrow and I will have an opportunity to sit down with our archive procurator, Kelly Nickle. I will engage her on your quest and see what we can find out! I will reach out as soon as we meet. sound good?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've read that LL Bean's blend was actually Edgeworth from Lauris and probably Lane Ltd. later on. I had a pound of their blend when I bought my pipe from them in the mid 1970's but, frankly, don't remember much about it. I'd bet that Brooks Bros. had theirs made by Lane as well.

This does make me wonder how many other companies had eponymous blends.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thanks for the inquires Kevin, I wonder if the current Brooks Brothers management is even aware they once sold tobacco; I am glad that they have a company archivist, as old and established a company as them.
Philobeddoe

Status
Not open for further replies.