Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
On Thanksgiving Day I dropped my Brebbia onto my parent's Paved driveway. It slipped out of my hand and fell only 2 to 3 feet, but that was enough. The shank broke right in half. I've only had the pipe about 6 months.
The good news, if there can be any, is that the break was nice and clean with no chips taken out of the pipe. When I put the two ends together you can't tell there was ever a break.
So what should I do? Can I use epoxy and avoid getting any in the air hole? This looks to be the best option from what I've researched online. I'm thinking about sending off for repair but I don't want to spend a lot as the pipe was about $125 new, and I saw a used one like it on SP for $65 once. And I don't want a band in that spot.
See pic…
PipeBrebbia_zpsufrheymt.jpg.html

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No photo! My condolences on the break, though. My guess is if you really like that pipe, send it to one of our fellow repairers.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
It can be drilled out and a metal insert put into the shank But if you have never done something like that it's probably best left to a pro. I doubt epoxy would hold up for very long.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Holy coincidences Batman - I dropped my Brebbia on Thanksgiving and the shank broke as well. I am not kidding and to be honest I am a bit freaked out right now. Is the world ending, should I leave my house, were we separated at birth?
155ou9e.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I have an email out to see what they think a fix would entail. I will pm you with the details after I hear back.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Gloucesterman is right, glue alone will not hold. A short stainless steel tube inserted into the parts is what the repair calls for. If done correctly, it will be stronger than it was before the repair. If done incorrectly, the two pieces may fit together funny or end up with a visible gap between the two.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sorry for the second break! While of no consolation I dreamt last night that I broke a good pipe at the shank. A nightmare, really.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I hastily rammed an ill fitting stem into my shank... and ripped off a chip the side of a raisin from the tip of my shank. It was a special pipe to me... one my pop gave me... a celius pawn he got in the early 70's... I boxed it up and sent it to get professionally repaired first thing on Black Friday.
Man, thanksgiving is a bad day for pipe longevity.
I smoked 3-5x as much as I normally would... you know... because it was Thanksgiving etc...
I also bought 3 pipes and I ordered close to 20 ounces of Tobacco from various places. I went crazy with the sales I suppose...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
A pro repair with a tube in the shank would be best-but,I have epoxied broken shanks,without a tube and they have held up for a couple of years now.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Update:

Thanks for all the feedback. I got an email back today from Walker Briar Works recommending a repair with a metal tube in the shank. The repair is estimated at $30, which I think is a fair price. So I'm planning on sending off for repair this week. Much better than trying to fix it myself, I think, as I would probably do something that would accidentally end up totaling the pipe. Then I would be very mad, and I just don't need to end up there. And I like this pipe very much.

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
I did the same thing myself to my Peterson over a dozen years ago and this may be hard to believe but I used a bit of Crazy Glue and it is still holding strong!!!
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.