Tags:   

Broken Pipe Shank - Help!

(17 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Lee
  • Latest reply from 4etecjonathan
  1. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

On Thanksgiving Day I dropped my Brebbia onto my parent's Paved driveway. It slipped out of my hand and fell only 2 to 3 feet, but that was enough. The shank broke right in half. I've only had the pipe about 6 months.

The good news, if there can be any, is that the break was nice and clean with no chips taken out of the pipe. When I put the two ends together you can't tell there was ever a break.

So what should I do? Can I use epoxy and avoid getting any in the air hole? This looks to be the best option from what I've researched online. I'm thinking about sending off for repair but I don't want to spend a lot as the pipe was about $125 new, and I saw a used one like it on SP for $65 once. And I don't want a band in that spot.

See pic…

"I don’t want any of your statistics; I took your whole batch and lit my pipe with it." - Mark Twain
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No photo! My condolences on the break, though. My guess is if you really like that pipe, send it to one of our fellow repairers.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It can be drilled out and a metal insert put into the shank But if you have never done something like that it's probably best left to a pro. I doubt epoxy would hold up for very long.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

Brebbia Pipe photo PipeBrebbia_zpsufrheymt.jpg">

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy coincidences Batman - I dropped my Brebbia on Thanksgiving and the shank broke as well. I am not kidding and to be honest I am a bit freaked out right now. Is the world ending, should I leave my house, were we separated at birth?

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

Okay, peteguy. That is weird. It even broke in the exact same spot. Do you plan to fix it? How?

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an email out to see what they think a fix would entail. I will pm you with the details after I hear back.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. randelli

randelli

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

KG5QDZ
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

I have an email out to see what they think a fix would entail. I will pm you with the details after I hear back

Thanks! See if they have a 2-for-1 special.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gloucesterman is right, glue alone will not hold. A short stainless steel tube inserted into the parts is what the repair calls for. If done correctly, it will be stronger than it was before the repair. If done incorrectly, the two pieces may fit together funny or end up with a visible gap between the two.

-Ryan Alden
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the second break! While of no consolation I dreamt last night that I broke a good pipe at the shank. A nightmare, really.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hastily rammed an ill fitting stem into my shank... and ripped off a chip the side of a raisin from the tip of my shank. It was a special pipe to me... one my pop gave me... a celius pawn he got in the early 70's... I boxed it up and sent it to get professionally repaired first thing on Black Friday.

Man, thanksgiving is a bad day for pipe longevity.

I smoked 3-5x as much as I normally would... you know... because it was Thanksgiving etc...

I also bought 3 pipes and I ordered close to 20 ounces of Tobacco from various places. I went crazy with the sales I suppose...

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A pro repair with a tube in the shank would be best-but,I have epoxied broken shanks,without a tube and they have held up for a couple of years now.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. mrbigglesworth

Lee

Login to Send PM

Update:
    Thanks for all the feedback. I got an email back today from Walker Briar Works recommending a repair with a metal tube in the shank. The repair is estimated at $30, which I think is a fair price. So I'm planning on sending off for repair this week. Much better than trying to fix it myself, I think, as I would probably do something that would accidentally end up totaling the pipe. Then I would be very mad, and I just don't need to end up there. And I like this pipe very much.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. lonestar

lonestar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good call !

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Those pictures are like horror movies.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  17. 4etecjonathan

4etecjonathan

Login to Send PM

I did the same thing myself to my Peterson over a dozen years ago and this may be hard to believe but I used a bit of Crazy Glue and it is still holding strong!!!

Jon

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   aldecaker, acidpox, emile7, sholto, morgansteele, marc75, olkofri, jiminks, upnorth1, elasmo, hiplainsdrifter