PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Michael W. Reschke, President of the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club, Doctor of Pipes, and Assistant Show Director of the Chicagoland International Pipe and Cigar Show.
Mike died today after a battle with lung cancer that began last fall. Mike was the first CPCC President of the Club beginning July 1, 1998, and has been re-elected every year since (except July 1, 2005) including this year’s annual election for a term beginning July 1, 2016. Mike received the Doctor of Pipes Award, in the hobbyist category, at the Chicago Show in 2006. He served as Assistant Show Director from the first Show through this year’s 21st Show. Mike was the epitome of the pipe smoking gentleman. He was a friend to all pipe smokers, and the best friend to many. He devoted many, many hours of his life to the pipe smoking and pipe collecting hobby. The CPCC and the Chicago Show will never be the same without Mike, and his wonderful smile and charming wit. We will always miss him.

The CPCC

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
We lost another good one fellas! I am a bit surprised to hear. I knew he was sick, but yet he was at the Chicago Show and sold me some things. RIP Mike!

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
On behalf of the KC I wish to express our condolences to Mike's family and friends. I heard from him just a couple weeks ago. He called to cancel his table at our show saying he was too ill to attend. This is very sad news indeed.

R.I.P. Mike.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
An Old School gentleman and scholar of the highest order.
He will be profoundly missed.
R.I.P. Mike :cry:

historypiper

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
One of the fellows in the office just told me. Condolences to the family and all friends and members of CPCC, Mike will be TERRIBLY missed. As already stated he was hell of a guy and a good friend to many, myself included. I'll miss our chats.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Mike was the epitome of the pipe smoking gentleman. He was a friend to all pipe smokers, and the best friend to many. He devoted many, many hours of his life to the pipe smoking and pipe collecting hobby. The CPCC and the Chicago Show will never be the same without Mike, and his wonderful smile and charming wit. We will always miss him.

Yeah Mike was one of few holdovers from the era when guys wore a coat and tie to shows. He loved collecting pipes and looked forward to the long road trips to shows all over the country. I remember when he took the time and effort to bring his whole Parker collection including all the table lighters and other Parker ephemera up to a Milwaukee Area Pipe Society Meeting on a Thursday night for our inspection. What a guy he really loved this hobby!
What has hit me today is thinking back on all the dinners out with the gang followed by the long nights in a smoked filled hotel rooms around the country just BS'n Rio and yakking about this and that.

A Bombay martini with four olives toast to you buddy. RIP

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that is sad news. Mike certainly was the epitome of a gentleman with his coat and tie at every show. He once told me that as an attorney, he gets many work-related emails per day but he never failed to answer in detail, any inquiry I made about a particular pipe. I met him twice in person at the Richmond show and he didn't disappoint in person. In my mind, Mike R. stood tall in a hobby where there are a lot of giants. He will be missed.

rnewcombe

Lurker
May 15, 2009
Michael was always a gentleman and extremely helpful to the success of the Chicago show from the beginning. He also was very fair in his pipe dealings. I have a Parker pipe and a Dunhill pipe that I bought from him years ago, and both are treasured. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oh man, I really hate to hear that. I don't think I've been to many shows since I met Mike that we haven't stopped to talk some where along the way. Dang. I am sure going to miss seeing him. My heartfelt condolences to any of his friends or family that may read this.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Mike will certainly be missed. He was a generous and genuine soul and gave greatly of his time and resources to further the hobby and the community. I will miss our chats.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Mike was certainly one of the finest gentlemen of our hobby (which is filled with fine gentlemen), and I always enjoyed seeing him at shows, chatting with him on the phone or buying/selling/trading pipes with him. Thoughts and prayers are with Mike and his family. Here is a link to his obituary - http://www.steuerlefh.com/home/index.cfm/obituaries/view/fh_id/12338/id/3748628

Status
Not open for further replies.