PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
It is with a sad and heavy heart that I tell you my dear friend and President of the Capital Area Pipe Smokers, has died from complications of injuries from the 9-11 attacks.
Phil McKee was a hero on that day, working for the Arlington Fire Services; he was a first responder to the horrors of the Pentagon attack. He has fought on through the years but succumbed this week from the disabilities.
Our hobby, and myself, will miss this fine friend and able man.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
That is indeed sad news, triply so to lose a hero, friend and leader of the pipe smoking community.
Perhaps he might be remembered on Brian's next radio show?

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I offer prayers for you and his family in this time of sadness. May everyone remember the good times they shared with your friend so they can smile in this time of sorrow.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Sorry to hear the sad news.
The first responders should all be appreciated more for their service and dedication.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
That is truly sad news. I remember the first time that I met Phil. He came into a CAPS meeting when we were still having them at the old Mama's Restaurant in Fairfax. I remember thinking "Who is this guy wearing a kilt?" As I talked to him at that meeting and other meetings that he came to, I came to realize that Phil was a pretty awesome guy. After I moved from the Washington area, I heard that Mama's was closing and that the club looked like it was going to fold. That's when Phil took over as club president and had the meetings at his house. (How many people are willing to do that?). Phil was a true hero in every sense of the word, from helping save lives, to being a friend to all. Condolences to Phil's family and friends. Also condolences to those that never got the chance to meet Phil, he was one of a kind.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
It was not the fact he went in again and again and again... nor matter how much flesh was gone from his own body to get people that were breathing, not the fact that he trod on day after day from that time until last Friday, not even the fact that he opened his own home to total strangers that shared a common interest after all of that, even though he could no longer walk without a cane, it was the fact that he took my hand, and said "welcome, come on in, you will like it here" so many years ago, that pulls the tears from me. He was one of a kind and we should all look to these kinds of stories with the thought, as Shakespeare said, "this was a man."
We could do no better than to act like this.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.