Broken Meerschaum, (Sorta) Fixed With Egg White and Chalk.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
My only meerschaum is one my Uncle gifted to me when he went searching for my grandpa's old pipes and couldn't find them. He purchased the pipe in the late sixties, early seventies, but didn't smoke it too much.
After shipping it to me I loved the thing, smokes great, it's cool and light, and the bowl is a bit smaller than most of my pipes so I like how it fits in the rotation. Anyhow, while smoking it one day I moved it from the right side of my mouth to the left, but only the bowl moved. The stem and mortise were left in my mouth. Bummer. But I read about a mixture of egg white and white chalk. Here's the process
Broke, about to mash chalk:

qCJqjDl.png

Meshing together:

iQgnna7.jpg

Smoking like a champ:

9BCXNda.jpg

Sadly 1/2 way through the bowl it broke again at the same spot.... but apparently the cement wasn't dry yet, except on the outside. I'll rinse, repeat, and let you know how it goes once I have the patience to wait. (I only waited 12 hours... should have given a day or two)

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
Sam, I'd agree but, this is what i've read is the cure. I'll tell you what though, before it broke yesterday afternoon the outside was dry. Maybe only 10% of what I had put on there was dry, but the thing was mighty strong till I was good in a to a bowl. I imagine from this experience that once the thing is fully dry it really will hold. Not sure it makes any sense to me.... but.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
For an update, waited for it to fully dry, smoked a full bowl no problems. Looking forward to more. My only meerschaum, but I'm REALLY impressed how well it smokes.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The properties of the two materials aren't far off from eachother; looking at it from a molecular viewpoint the areas could be physically reacting and bonding together. If that is the case it is certainly stronger than any adhesive. It's like comparing glue to a weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.