PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
I just got back home and catching up from being offline.
This morning I was in the process of responding to a thread titled Why British? which raised a legitimate point about terminology usage and it sparked an interesting conversation. However, the thread was closed - perhaps due to uncivil discourse? I don't know, but having prepared a response, and it being a good topic, has lead me to renew it so maybe we can continue to examine what it all means.
There were many great responses to the question, but I can't reproduce them all here, so I'll just quote the original premise and how it was framed by C&D -
"I don't own any "British" pipes, but I do have quite a few English pipes. Certainly I'm nitpicking, but every time I see someone talk about "British" pipes it makes me cringe. The only "British" pipes I can think of that don't qualify as English are the odd Scottish briar, but they're pretty rare and users here are unlikely to own any. Not trying to start an argument, just wondering why you're deviating from standard terminology. Let's call a spade a spade, we're talking about English pipes, a distinction that isn't lost on those who live in the UK and shouldn't be to collectors of English pipes either."
and this:

"Historically there is no discussion of "British" pipes, or "British" subsections on web forums. Collectors don't say they collect "British". I just wondered why we were deviating from an accepted standard here..."
It would be wonderful if we could discuss this without severe derailment, and I hope that we could all convey our philosophical differences with thoughtful respect regardless of position.

:puffy:
Anyway,

this was my response:
H5FZYiH.jpg

Oi!

A luverly anorak argle-bargle here!
Right nice proper champion,

this thread!
8X9fl5k.jpg

Seriously, good topic.
A discussion about the correct orthonym to be used is the jammiest of jams for me, I enjoy very much talking about the differing functions of syntactic constructions, so this is right up my alley.
Although I myself disprefer the premodifier English, I do concede that it is actually the most precisely accurate ontology simply because the nomenclature of Made In England should be correctly denoted as English-made.
I personally think that British would cause less confusion because it is generally understood what the meaning is, unlike English which has a wider variety of meanings and has been somewhat diluted.
For example, if I say "This is an English pipe.", it could be interpreted as both "a pipe made in England" and "a pipe dedicated to Latakia mixtures", and both interpretations could be correct.
The main rub, however, would be popular usage - and that linguistic variation is inevitable and natural.
"I am not yet so lost in lexicography, as to forget that words are the daughters of the earth, and that things are the sons of heaven. Language is only the instrument of science, and words are but the signs of ideas: I wish, however, that the instrument might be less apt to decay, and that signs might be permanent, like the things which they denote."

— Samuel Johnson

'Preface', A Dictionary of the English Language

(1755), Vol. 1.
Samuel Johnson knew that prescriptivism (which seeks to define standard language forms and give advice on effective language use) would most likely fall out of favor against descriptivism (which defines language as it is actually used by people)...

"When we see men grow old and die at a certain time one after another, from century to century, we laugh at the elixir that promises to prolong life to a thousand years; and with equal justice may the lexicographer be derided, who being able to produce no example of a nation that has preserved their words and phrases from mutability, shall imagine that his dictionary can embalm his language, and secure it from corruption and decay, that it is in his power to change sublunary nature, and clear the world at once from folly, vanity, and affectation."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_prescription
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_description
The perfect example of the prescriptionist/descriptionist dichotomy relevant to our conversation would be the aforementioned BBB - Blumfeld Blumfeld Blumfeld was the original intention of the creator, but it ended up being superseded by popular usage into something else entirely. As early as 1935, Wally Frank was describing BBB as Best British Brand, and many other people had come to refer to BBB variously as either Best British Briar or Britain's Best Briar --- so much so that the company itself took to using the phrase:

Q0DNpU4.jpg

ZpGOPUj.jpg

Note that the box uses both terms, English and British, and it seems, in my mind, that the two terms are interchangeable and convey the same general meaning.
This interchangeability is on most prominent display in an article written by Maxim Engel,

the term in the title English Pipes & History, quickly transforms within the main body of text as British Pipes. Part 1: !!!

http://www.pipes2smoke.com/British_pipes_article.htm
:
And, other "thought leaders" seem to use the term without reservation,

Neill Archer Roan says:

"In my experience, Barling pipes are harder to come by than many sister British brands. For some indefinable reason, many that I do find have had the tarnation smoked out of them; their condition is iffy, to say the least. I can only assume that they are so well-smoked because their owners loved Barlings as much as I do."
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2012/1/4/trendwatching-there-will-increasingly-be-great-pipes-and-goo.html
:
Jeff Gracik says:

"One material I had long admired and longed to work with was sterling silver. I have always loved the silver work on classic British pipes..."
http://www.jalanpipes.com/blog/smitten-with-silver
:
Samuel Goldberger says:

"When Sven Knudsen left the Paul Rasmussen's famous Suhr Workshop in 1957 to open his own workshop in Copenhagen, he started the "Dantonian" line, a name chosen to appeal to the Dane's strong predilection for British pipes."
http://www.finepipes.com/danish/sven-knudsen-pipes/sven-knudsen-c.-1957-stacked-billiard-ring-grain
:
Russ Ouellette says:

"The great British pipes frequently were made with this kind of grain..."
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/2013/03/a-grain-of-truth/
:
Michael Linder says:

" This rarely seen set is sure to be a fantastic highlight to your GBD collection, or a unique addition to your collection of early cased British pipes."
http://www.thepiperack.com/blue-chip-estate-pipe-1920s-cased-matched-set-of-city-deluxe-billiards/
:
Smokers Haven says:

"GBD's are often considered as "also rans" among the classic British pipes, especially after their acquisition by Cadogan, who repositioned them as low-end pieces."
http://www.smokershaven.com/browseproducts/GBD-Estate-Pipe-Tapestry-Collector-9682-UNSMOKED.html
:
Pipedia says:

"Among collectors of high-grade British pipes, family era Barling pipes are rated at the pinnacle. No other maker enjoys a finer reputation for the legendary quality of their materials, engineering and craftsmanship."
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling
:
Black Swan Shoppe, who they themselves are in the UK, say:

"British made! ………Yes ………. you did read that right these Briars are actually made in Britain. British made pipes are very rare nowadays as suppliers look across the water for more competitive pipe manufacturers..."
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/wessex-fireside-british-made-budget-briar-churchwarden-reading-pipe-04-smooth-diamond
:
These are but a few examples, I'm sure many more could be found, and it does seem that the term has been widely accepted and in popular use.
A large majority of Britbriar nomenclature is stamped Made In England or London Made, or a variation thereof, but there do exist a few exceptions, like Hardcastle for instance:

1hlu08x.jpg

And this on an old Sasieni box:

4Q5enRI.jpg

I've yet to see a pipe stamped Made In Gt. Britain, yet that term is fairly common on older tobacco tins:

7ipuq1n.jpg

I could argue that "quotation marks" are more accurately "inverted commas", but most Americans would think it a bit strange. Once a term has been widely accepted by a particular culture or group and in popular use, the tide is very difficult to turn back.
Standard terminology can be in constant flux, often falling under the guide of personal preference, and this is an understatement in the pipe world where many things remain far from dead certain.
:?:

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I must say that I never expected to see the name of Samuel Johnson in posts on this board, and doubt if more than 1% of the members know who he was or about his significance in history. Ergo, sir, is your post merely a writing exercise for yourself or do you expect others to gain something from it?
LOL, SJ's ugly mug is my Twitter photo.
Samuel_Johnson.jpg

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Samuel Johnson you mean the chap who was quite pally with Henry and Hester Thrale. Rather especially with Mrs Thrale, according to Queeney.
Extensive as usual Misterlowercase. Thank you.

May 31, 2012
ndSCdpF.jpg

http://www.streetartnews.net/2013/10/banksy-plato-new-street-art-in.html
"As was his language so was his life."

Seneca

(Roman philosopher, 5 BC – 65 AD)
" The limits of my language mean the limits of my world."

Ludwig Wittgenstein

(1889-1951)
:)

I collect dictionaries,

what can I say?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow, MLC, you make some of the most detailed, informative posts of anyone on this forum. I really, truly enjoy when I see your name in the recent posts column because I can be sure that there will be a wealth of information.
He's a talented researcher. No doubt about that.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Never really thought about it until this post. I mean England is a part of Great Britain with Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, but you never really see a pipe stamped Made in Britain or Made in Great Britain. It's usually Made in England.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
From an editorial and/or journalistic standpoint "British" refers to, "The people of Great Britain: the English, the Scottish, and the Welsh." "English" refers to the people of England. Source: "The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual."

May 31, 2012
He's a talented researcher. No doubt about that.
I tend to think it's more a case of unbridled enthusiasm combined with a patience for digging --- most of the info is on the surface and easily found, and can be freely collated by anyone who takes the time.
It takes someone with a true talent, like Jon Guss, to compile the divergent info into a cohesive narrative and connect all the dangling dots into a glorious constellation which is akin to creating a beautiful visible universe where once only darkness existed - in this creation, he is truly gifted.
:puffpipe:

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
OMG Troy - you need help! Mate - what a superb piece of research; you teach me things I didn't relaise about my own country!
Talking of which...@piperings at the risk of reigniting the debate of the previous thread, Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland. The (legally later) United Kingdom is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Therefore my mother, who was born in Derry N.I., is from the UK but is NOT British. She is an Irish girl who is very confused!
Andy

May 31, 2012
Never really thought about it until this post. I mean England is a part of Great Britain with Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, but you never really see a pipe stamped Made in Britain or Made in Great Britain. It's usually Made in England.
Yep,

so to be correct, we should be saying English,

as clearly stated by The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual quoted by Huntertrw:

"From an editorial and/or journalistic standpoint "British" refers to,

"The people of Great Britain: the English, the Scottish, and the Welsh."
"English" refers to the people of England."
Thus, a pipe made in England should properly be called English, but, collectors do use the term British instead in some cases, even though it's not an accurate synonym - and since it has become within popular usage it could be said to be an "accepted term".
This is the crux of the debate, and why the discussion is so interesting - the term British seems to be incorrect, but it has come to be accepted in many quarters as correct.
Why is this?
It certainly merits a talk on the subject.

Going back to the point that I made on that thread, there is no country called "America." People of Central and South America, refer to themselves as Americans also. We are the United States of America. "American made" can refer to anything being made on this side of the planet. We just don't hear them complain, because they don't speak American like us.
If the Brit can get their English panties in a wad, then... here ya go ol' chaps. :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I must say that I never expected to see the name of Samuel Johnson in posts on this board, and doubt if more than 1% of the members know who he was or about his significance in history. Ergo, sir, is your post merely a writing exercise for yourself or do you expect others to gain something from it?
Really gig, you cut me to the quick. Everyone knows Samuel Johnson was the fellow who coined the phrase:
You can call me Ray, or you can call me J, but you doesn't hasta call me Johnson.
I shall go back to reading Pepys and Johnson. You can return to your coloring books.
EDIT:
Troy's contributions here are always a delight. His passion for his choice of subject and the superb presentation of his material are second to none. Troy's presence on this forum is one of the main reasons that I find it so entertaining.
Thanks for another great contribution!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I'll paraphrase the "square/rectangle" truism, as it seems on point here: Every English pipe is British, but not every British pipe is English. Simple as that.

May 31, 2012
Andy,
I read a neat cultural article somewhere, I forget where and can't find it, but it roughly said that people in England who referred to themselves as English tended more often to be "eurosceptics" as opposed to those who referred to themselves as British - and that national pride seems to be conveyed with concrete meaning in the term English, giving yet more credence to the argument that something Made in England should rightly be called English.
Yet, popular usage seems to dictate what is what,

and in most cases it is beyond our control -

correct or incorrect,

the term is being used as a meaningful descriptor.
It's all quite fascinating.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't know that there's any exact logic to the choice of identifier. British racing cars, English blends, Yankee pot roast, especially English blends, as just about everything in them comes from somewhere else. I suppose one might argue that these blends developed from tobaccos grown in countries that were part of the British Empire, but then wouldn't they be British blends? Should a boiled egg be opened from the larger or the smaller end?

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
One more history major/English minor here, well aware of Mr. Johnson's contributions... :D
You do realize that one of the stereotypes of pipe smokers is the tweed-jacketed, ivory tower intellectual, right? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.