Tags:  No tags yet. 

British American Tobacco to Discontinue Dunhill Cigars and Pipe Tobacco

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by deimitori
  • Latest reply from jerwynn
  1. deimitori

deimitori

Login to Send PM

I read this article and if this will be true I think it will be a very bad and sad matter for all of us who love Dunhill pipe tobacco.

http://cigar-coop.com/2017/02/cigar-news-british-american-tobacco-to-discontinue-dunhill-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jitterbugdude

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think you are a little late to the game. This has been discussed quite extensively for the past 2 weeks. The run on Dunhill pipe tobacco has already started. Smoking pipes.com shows 4 Dunhill blends in the "10 best seller" list.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ pretty much

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's unclear to me where and who manufactures Dunhill tobaccos, and the chain of ownership - i.e.. General Cigar- BAT?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. dukdalf

dukdalf

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill family business owns the brand name, British American Tobacco is licensed by them to manufacture their pipe tobacco blends and for the last decade or so they've been doing that at their Orlik factory in Denmark.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok... I just ordered some 965 and some Nightcap...but I REFUSE to order any more Royal Yacht.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. pipeman84

pipeman84

Login to Send PM

It seems K&K in Germany are the ones producing Dunhill
    http://kohlhase-kopp.com/ceemes/tabak/dunhill/

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're on our second or third round on this subject, but I'll repeat myself. Whoever owns the brand isn't going to leave the money on the table, in my opinion. So these blends will reappear under new ownership for better or worse. Unless there's some debt against the brand we can't see, or other countervailing circumstance, these will appear again. If sales were plummeting, it would be a different picture, but I don't see that. It may be that the brand is milking the appearance of discontinuing for a nice bounce in sales before springing the "happy" news of a new owner.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. rhoadsie

R

Login to Send PM

but I REFUSE to order any more Royal Yacht

Just do it, jefff

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've hoarded some of my Dunhill favorites. But the question remains: is this a marketing ploy, or a true crisis? I've got my finger on the trigger of an abnormally large order. Just need some intel. For me, there are two -maybe three- blends that would warrant stocking up multi-pounds worth of tins. Life is too short to lament great tobacco lost.

Edit: to add color- had I known Burley London Blend was going to go out of production, I would have gladly laid down four figures. But who can navigate through marketing ploy vs full-on termination?

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

We're on our second or third round on this subject, but I'll repeat myself. Whoever owns the brand isn't going to leave the money on the table, in my opinion. So these blends will reappear under new ownership for better or worse.

Maybe. But due to FDA Regs they won't be available here in any event. EU regs and regs in individual countries are every bit as draconian. So there really may not be any real money being left on the table.

Given the current set of circumstances, the smart play is to buy them while you can. I was over at my local B&M today and there were stacks of Elizabethan Mixture, Durbar, Aperitif, London Mixture, etc that are anywhere from 2 to 5 years old, literally covered in dust because no one buys them. There's a ton of the stuff in B&M's and yes, you'll pay more, but it will have some age on it. I bought a few 100 gram tins each of 5 year old Vintage Syrian and Acadian Perique.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If, when, and as Dunhill blends are no longer available to all but the very rich, we have a great stable of American blenders who make excellent English/Balkan style blends. Everytime I've named the players I've left out good people, so won't go there now.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Dunhill family business owns the brand name, British American Tobacco is licensed by them to manufacture their pipe tobacco blends and for the last decade or so they've been doing that at their Orlik factory in Denmark.

The only correct information here is that the Dunhill blends are made by Orlik (STG). Please read the previous posts on the topic.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's a recounting of the various permutations of Dunhilldom. You'll see who owns what.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.smokers.pipes/2005-07/msg00312.html

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried Dunhill tobacco once and threw it away.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  16. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that's a first ... a member that will not mourn the Dunhill extinction

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  17. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lots of great info clarifying things for me in this thread.

Pipestud
    Posted 2 years ago #
  18. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that's a first ... a member that will not mourn the Dunhill extinction

Wouldn't bother me in the least, although they have some fine blends there are many, many others out there that I prefer. I do feel bad for those that would lose a favorite though

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wouldn't bother me in the least, although they have some fine blends there are many, many others out there that I prefer. I do feel bad for those that would lose a favorite though

Ditto. Never a fave, but it's sad to lose a fave. It's still around for a year or so, so stock up.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. aimlesswanderer

aimlesswanderer

Login to Send PM

I've never tried Dunhills. Can't miss what you don't know. I tend to stick predominantly to GH and SG

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's a recounting of the various permutations of Dunhilldom. You'll see who owns what.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Alt/alt.smokers.pipes/2005-07/msg00312.html

That's a very detailed accounting, Jesse. It would be nice to see an update, as this post is almost 12 years old now. I know that BAT still owns the Dunhill TM as it applies to tobacco products, and Richemont/Remgro still control BAT, and the Rupert family still controls the whole lot, but I'm not certain of all the details.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

No, they are only the German importer.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jerwynn

jerwynn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only thing permanent in life is change. - Joe Buddha

“Deep peace of the running wave to you.
 Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
 Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
 Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace of the infinite peace to you." - Fiona Macleod
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, didimauw, elpfeife, 64alex, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian