PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm thinking of replacing some of my vulcanite stems with Lucite acrylic ones. But I'm looking for brightly colored swirled Lucite stems. The kind JT Cooke uses on this pipes. Like bright orange with black swirls. Or black with grey swirls. Or malachite green swirled stems. Basically a dayglow version of the traditional Cumberland stem. Does anyone know a pipe repairman using this type of rod stock?

aaronbrill

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2012
Walker Briar Works offers replacement stems for cobs in lots of different colors of swirled Lucite, so I'm sure they could make you any stems you wanted. I can highly recommend their work also.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I have a "forever stem" from Walker Briar, and irt is great. Mine is a nice tortoise color (browns, blacks, and reds) but he has some groovy colors too. I like some of the brightly colored acrylic stems as well. I think many Ardor pipes have really neat stems.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thanks Aaron. Just checked out his site. And he's got colored swirls. I think a black shell pipe would look cool with a green malachite stem. I figure if you can't afford a new pipe, restemming old ones is the next best thing! LOL. I also see he can recreate the three part C Comoy stem inlay too. Thanks for the link.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
kashmir, This is an interesting way to add new life to a well-used pipe or an ebay or antique store

find. 'Seems like it could be really terrific or just kind of jivey-looking (which might be good in a

different way). Just thinking it over, I can see it really working on many freehands, or some staid

old billiards or even adding a little spark to a Canadian. Some of the other more traditional shapes, I

can see it working less often. The bulldog just doesn't seem like a colored swirls pipe, nor

a diplomat nor an author, but of course I'm just generalizing. Depends on the pipe, and no doubt

on its owner. It would be interesting if you decided to post a photo of an example or examples when

you have them. A bulldog might take a deep maroon, and maybe a diplomat a dark green. Hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.