PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bob Hope had a long and varied career, notably as a comedian, but starting as a truly gifted "hoofer" (dancer, especially vaudeville tap) and as a vocalist. His road movies with Crosby produced sequel after sequel, a virtual franchise, and he was an early success when TV was new, and was ever faithful in his USO tours, especially around the holidays, bringing show biz to guys and gals who were were often in battle fatigues and recently off patrol. Like many other stars -- John Wayne, Louis Armstrong, Sammy Davis Jr., and quite a few others -- he got chewed up in his later career by the politics of his time. But I will forever admire his skill in stand-up, his precision timing, his careful and endless scripting and offhanded seeming delivery, and his always being prepared and up for a performance, unlike so many who felt, or feel, that their stardom would carry them over. He was an experienced, crusty, determined performer right on through his life, and his work is still funny and ebullient, full of life and much authenticity. Do i agree with everything he said and did? Nope. But he was a talent and a figure of his time.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
When the Carson era Tonight Show re-runs on Antenna TV were running recently, they ran a lot of Christmas season episodes which had Bob Hope as one of the guests. My wife and I both enjoyed listening to his banter and tales with Johnny and the other guests.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
He had a way of capturing comedic essence with a simple quip. My favorite example of this was his description of the energetic, vivacious Betty Hutton: a vitamin pill with legs.

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
I had the great pleasure to see Bob Hope in Vietnam in 1968. He and Ann Margaret put on a great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.