PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
They are getting few and far between where I live. I'm talking about true tobacconist shops Tinderbox style. Back in the 1980's I used to love to go in our local Tinderbox and browse around, pick up a pipe maybe from the discount bin and try a new blend. I usually smoked PA or SWR out of a Dr. Grabow back then (which is a fine combo still in my opinion) but I felt like I was splurging and giving myself a treat when I bought a nice blend. Anyway, they are all gone around me. The closest true tobacco shop is about 50 miles east of me and deals in good quality cigars but they only have a few jars of Lane Cavendish tobaccos and the owner knows about as much about pipe tobacco as I know about cigars. To get to a true tobacconist, I would have to drive 2 1/2 hours west to Raleigh. Sure there are "Tobacco" shops closer but they are actually Vape shops and I always feel like I'm hanging out with drug addicts when I go into one. They only carry a few pouches of PA or Carter Hall anyway. At least I can get SWR in a tub at my grocery store, but that's all they carry except for Captain Black. Oh well, there is always the internet which is where I buy most of my pipes and tobaccos. But I do miss browsing around in the old brick and mortar tobacconist shops looking at the high price luxury meerschaums and briars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've seen several vanish over the past three decades, and considering this, the online tobacco business may be going the same direction.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-bill-introduced-into-congress

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if that law defines pipe tobacco with casings/toppings as "flavored" tobacco? I have reservations that this law would ever pass, at least in this form but if it did I bet there would be a resurgence in true tobacco shops with real tobacconists. It is strange to me that the powers that be are so dead set on destroying the tobacco industry while championing the new marijuana industry. I don't smoke pot but I don't care if somebody does so I wish they'd have the same viewpoint on my tobacco use. I grew up on a tobacco farm and cropped tobacco in my youth back in the early sixties. I bet I could grow and cure my own if push came to shove without too much of a problem. You can buy the seeds online and once you let a plant or two seed out, you'll have millions of seeds for future planting.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The deeming law that is supposed to take effect in 2021 will bring an end to blends produced after February 2007. Tobacco will likely be the controlled substance in another decade.

I was watching on the local news the other day, CBD oils, here in Alabama, the state keeps passing laws to regulate it, outlaw it, and make it legal, and from one day to the next, it is either legal or illegal. Now, I have no idea what CBD oil is, but the news is full of these places, gas stations, CBD oil boutiques, and health food stores getting busted, arrested, and hauled off. Their merchandise is spilled into the streets. But, as soon as they are out of jail, they have new merchandise and are operating again.
Then I watch what tobacco stores are doing to comply with every little law or tax concern. It's really two different types of people. The CBD oil salesmen say laws be damned and do what they will. Tobacconists all have this psychological kowtow to authority, and they comply with the slightest of laws... and guys on here throw out each FDA law, as if they are already written in stone.
Tobacco people are timid rule followers. Just once on the news, I'd like to see one of them, maybe Sykes, getting hauled out to a police van, flipping off a policeman and taking a kick at the face of a federal agent, yelling into the news camera, red faced, and hair all a mess, "F(beep) you Feds, you can't tell me what to do!!!" :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Decades of anti tobacco propaganda, and tobacco doesn't get you stoned. Tobacco is shunned by most while marijuana is welcomed by many.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Embers, neither does CBD oil, as best I understand it.
I don't get that either. Then again, never smoked marijuana. Too many early years of getting it pounded into my head how bad it was.

sbk54

Lurker
Jan 28, 2019
I used to think I'd be dead long before things got too bad in this country/world. Well, I don't think THAT anymore. I'm 64 so I might see a time where pot is legal and tobacco is not. When that time comes, I'll be growing and curing my own tobacco if I'm not too feeble. Maybe I'll sell you guys some nickel bags or dime bags of burley.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Being raised in a farming community I hear ya. Come what may, there'll be tobacco growing here.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There are actually 8 physical buildings housing shops which sale pipes and pipe tobacco products within 40 miles of me. The closest is a little place that used to be a cigar shop that also carried some wine. Now it's basically a wine and liquor store with a big walk in humidor and a selection of bulk pipe tobacco. It has recently expanded the pipes it carries though and had both Savinelli and Petersons in the case. I go there mainly for the craft beer and mid-to-high end selection of alcohol they carry.
One place I know longer visit is owned by idiots. It's a very nice cigar shop with a large selection and they do carry pipes and bulk pipe tobacco. However the people working in that shop, insist that they personally blend the bulk tobaccos and that tinned tobacco are being phased out. I've been told, "No one buys tinned pipe tobacco anymore." by two different workers there.
The one I visit most often was a Tinderbox located in a shopping mall until about 3 years ago. The mall basically was forcing them out by raising the rent and making other demands so the owner decided to retire and just close the shop. Fortunately, a couple of guys who owned 2 other cigar shops decided to buy out the stock and open a third location staffed by the same people who worked at Tinderbox. They now have their own building with two smoking lounges, three large glass cases containing pipes and a large selection of both tinned and bulk tobaccos. Does it cost more to buy from them? Yes. But I spend my money there because I want to help keep them in business.
The other places are mainly cigar shops with very limited amounts of pipe tobacco.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think the biggest difference is that there is an entire branch of federal government for our tobacco (ATF), whereas, the CBD and other items just have "regular" oppression.
I always chuckle when I think of that line by Nicholas Cage in Warlord,
Man: I'm with the ATF
Nicholas: I don't suppose you're here about the alcohol and tobacco?
Happy Friday, Amigos.
jay-roger.jpg

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
IIRC, the CBD oil is actually derived from hemp, the same stuff as ropes and hippy clothes are made from. Almost "essential oil" of hemp plant. There is no psychoactive element that gets one high, rather it's used to combat symptoms of epilepsy, anxiety, calm nerves, etc. Because of this I don't understand why: a) the stoners are so preoccupied with it, and 2) law enforcement beats up on it. But, it's a crazy world.

Down here in Alabama, they occasionally raid WalMarts for selling hemp used in arts and crafts. Any form of Hemp is apparently illegal, even ropes that use actual hemp. So, it is the same law they use to keep CBD oils out.
Those CBD oil marketing ads say it cures freaking everything from cancer to diabetes to obesity. They use it in lotions, inhalants, and pills. It's the new snakeoil of the 21st century.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've not seen many out your way. I'm in Raleigh and we have a good one in Pipes by George. So many have converted into a vaping or green leaf headquarters and most are ran by people that have no clue about pipe tobacco. If you're ever down in Wilmington there's a really good one down there called Davis and Sons which is really nice.
I remember going out to the OBX a few months ago for a little day trip and stopped by a place called Island Tobacco in Nags Head. Had some decent pipes and a bunch of likely Lane tobaccos, but it was something. Got me some tobacco to finish out the trip at least.

The cigar shops here, and we have quite a few, will put out three or four jars of a Sutliff aromatic and a few of the low end pipes. Then they will say, no one really smokes pipes here, because no one is buying their lowend crap. So, they use that experience as an excuse for not carrying pipe supplies. I tried to explain to a couple of the cigar shop owners how real pipe smokers don't smoke that goopy bullshit, but they always counter, "but Sutliff is one of the best selling companies." I just shrug and walk away. Sometimes it is more difficult to explain the truth than it is to just NOT argue with idiots. :puffy:
There is so little wiggle room to keystone pipe tobaccos enough to make any money at it. Yet, with cigars they make a fortune. Plus, pipesmokers are a tightwad bunch by nature. Whereas cigar guys see it as manly and a sign of success to drop $20 on a cigar and fire it up immediately. Pipe guys are more likely to brag about saving a dollar.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I am lucky enough to live 45 mins away from Boswells in Chambersburg Pa. That being said, i just figured that out about 2 months ago. But that is the only good shop for pipe smoking among-st 30 different cigar lounges.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
It's the new snakeoil of the 21st century.
Have to disagree but this isn't the proper place to discuss :nana:
Wasn't the push for outlawing the cultivation of hemp (and by default weed) driven by the cotton industry in the early 1900s?
I've read that it was the pulp and paper industry / landowners. William Randolph Hearst in particular.

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Too many early years of getting it pounded into my head how bad it was
Same here, then one day I took the initiative and decided to judge for myself. My reaction: "Seriously? THAT'S IT??? Hey, let's go to McDonald's." Frankly I was a bit disappointed. (Not in the McDonald's...that was everything I expected.)
They have CBD shops popping up down here in New Orleans. I tried my gf's sister's CBD oil pen one time. It had no noticeable psychoactive effects, but she said it helped with her various pains. They're supposed to open up some kind of dispensary for medical, and I can't wait to see how crooked that whole operation becomes since Louisiana politics is involved.
But I digress...
Part Deux: Escudo? EscuDON'T!
Yesterday I was in a B&M, which shall remain nameless. I asked the cashier, whose overall appearance implied that he had just returned from either Antarctica or the frigid 65 degree sidewalk outside the shop, a question.
Me: Do you guys ever carry Escudo?

Cashier: No.

Me: Oh yeah? Well, you should try it. It's pretty good!

Cashier: .....

(slightly awkward pause)

Me: Uh...yeah I'm kinda surprised, ya know...y'all don't...it's kind of a standard...mumble mumble...(trailing off)

Cashier:.....Okay, that'll be $15.25.
He wasn't a jerk or anything, it was just kinda weird. Plus I could have sworn I've seen Escudo in there before.

Status
Not open for further replies.