PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Don't laugh, this is my first serious attempt with briar. I purchased some second hand, unfinished mini bowls that were rough cut from an estate. They required a lot of sanding/polishing and were good for practice. The holes in the shanks were offset. Which was no issue as I cut the tenon from the bamboo to be offset to compensate. I did not stain this, but used cutting board conditioner, (bees wax with medical grade mineral oil) -which is amazing stuff. Some of you seem partial to no-stain, go natural, etc. I seem to prefer that as well.
5GUFMU1.jpg

OgQw0kb.jpg

s23PWJo.jpg

BTW, short pieces of large diameter bamboo makes for great pipe stands.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thanks, guys.
Cortez, yes it was a sort of rescue. The seller indicated that the bowls were aged about 100 years, (I have three more). Decent for a travel pipe. Small enough to enclose right into the tobacco pouch and carry in a shirt pocket.
I'm good with using raw bamboo as the mouthpiece. It has a plastic mouth feel, and can be clenched. Should I wear it out, just snip off and cure another piece.
I'm thinking about cutting down some larger bowls to line the bamboo pipes. Their cheap to be had. That would solve my node burn issues, while putting good briar back into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.