Breitling Superocean II Versus Omega Co-Axial Seamaster.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I'm looking to treat myself to another watch and was pretty certain I wanted an Omega Co-axial Seamaster, however during my searches I stumbled upon the Breitling Superocean II which to all intents and purposes is a very similar timepiece though it does lack the co-axial movement of the Omega which is important to me.
The main difference is the depth that the watch will function at which considering I don't go diving is pretty irrelevant to me. I even take my watches off before showering!
Has anyone out there had any experience with either watch? Any good or bad points you might like to share?
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Jay.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Breitling and an Omega. The Omega is the "Moon Watch" Speedmaster and a very good time piece that needs to be hand wound. My Breitling is a chronograph and a beautiful looking timepiece. I will say that the maintenance for the Breitling is very expensive. I had it serviced some years ago and, at the time, had to be sent to Switzerland. The service cost about US$700.

Now the Breitling does not work at all. There is a place in New York that says they can service it but I don't know the cost yet. So, I'm faced with the possibility of a repair costing over $US1,000 for a 17 year old watch that cost about $4,500 new. I'm wrestling with how to handle this.

Meanwhile, the Omega is 45 years old and works perfectly. It could probably use a tune up but there is no immediate need for one.

For what it's worth, this is my experience with both brands. Good luck with your decision. I'd suggest you investigate what maintenance is recommended for both watches and go from there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Jay,
Both are excellently made watches. I sold Omegas for a decade, and we also repaired them. I think that you will be happy either way. I'm happy to hear that you don't wear your watches in the shower. That's smart. Steam can penetrate where water doesn't, including "water resistant" watch types. We repaired a lot of shower casualties over the years and their owners were just too stupid to get why their watches had corroded and why they needed to change their behavior.

About the only watch that can be used for diving is one with screw down crowns. Bushings fail over time. Something like an Oyster Perpetual would be needed. But you're not using this for diving, so it doesn't matter.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The best watch forum I've seen is "WatchYouSeek". They have sub forums for both of those brands. Owners of both of those brands are pretty passionate, I'm sure you'll get a ton of feedback there, specific to each.
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php
Automatics are fussy and as mentioned required periodic maintenance. I have one, a micro-diver (4000 meters!) but I just bought a Hamilton Quartz for work, and ease of use.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The service cost about US$700."
That is unbelievable Papipeguy, more like downright theft! The beauty of the co-axial movement (Omega) is the supposedly longer periods between services as little to no lubricating oil is required on the escapement and of course it is the oil that hardens over time meaning more frequent service schedules.
Jesse, not only is steam bad for a watch in the shower but so are the detergents on soap and shampoo etc.
Al, I have considered buying a Hamilton in the past, they have some great watches. I do have several quartz chronograph watches (Seiko, Tissot etc) and a few mid range automatics, I just fancy lashing out on a quality automatic chronometer as a treat to myself.
I think I'll go the Omega route this time.
Thanks for the input chaps.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Watches are going in about the same direction as tobacco. I haven't seen anyone wearing one for a couple of years now. Everyone has the time on their phones. Really lovely pieces Jay, hope one day to own a high end pocket watch myself.

I was collecting quite a few vintage Timex Marlins up until a year ago, when they went from $30-60 to $300+. It seems the watch collecting is about as competitive as pipes.

I did stop wearing a watch when I got my first cell phone, but how many times have we picked up our phone to check the time, and checked apps, emails, etc... and completely forgot to check the time? Having a watch makes me feel in control of my time, and also reminds me how long it takes me to do things.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My Rolex Explorer, self winding has been with me 31 yrs, has cost 900$ over that time for tune-ups, I would be lost without it, working in an environment guageing how long it takes for filling tanks, pressure build up in vessels, it was a critical piece of equipment.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I feel lost without a wristwatch."
I once set off on a journey in my car only to realise I had forgotten to put my watch on so came back home and put things right....I feel naked without a watch.
I wonder if anyone knows if either of the watches I mentioned above have hacking mechanisms for accurately setting the time?
Regards,
Jay.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Jay, I would certainly expect either of those two watches to have the hacking feature, which would also include hand winding, both of which would I would insist on in an automatic watch. If you review that watch for my link earlier there should be many reviews of both of those watches

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think I'll go the Omega route this time.
Good move! Back when I was selling Omegas they were represented in the US by Norman Morris. They had an unconditional 1 year guarantee. Anything that happened to the watch, it would be repaired or replaced free of charge. As long as the owner still had the pieces, Omega would honor that guarantee. I remember one of our customers who lost his Speedmaster and came in and bought another one. A number of months later, he found his lost watch submerged in the bilge of his boat. The watch was totaled, corroded and rusted. It was still under waranty so we sent it to Norman Morris and they sent a new Speedmaster in return. Repairs were no more expensive than Bulova or any other mid market make, unlike Rolex and other high end makes. Omegas are great watches.

drbenway

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2017
Hello

Interesting that you like the co axial movement. I always just took it as just a selling point for Omega and not so much a mechanical revolution in watch movements.
What model of seamaster are you looking at?. I have a FOIS moonwatch that I like the look of , but I feel the functionality(the dial is so cluttered) isn't something I need. I was just emailing watchfinder UK about upgrading to a 41mm Planet Ocean, but the thickness of their watches is a sticking point for me. Also their current prices. They seem to be gunning for Rolex price points on the new models, but then they die on the grey market.
I bought a Rolex explorer in March and it just hits all the marks across the board for me. I never understood how important a well made bracelet can be to a watch. Now I know. I never take the thing off and so my other two watches just sit. I should have just saved the money and went straight for Rolex.
How much Stonehaven can a used Omega get you?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"If you review that watch for my link earlier there should be many reviews of both of those watches."
Al, I did check out your link, thanks. I also hit many other websites regarding the hacking function but none were 100% explicit. I have a few UK (obviously) dealers to contact so will get my info there. I am aware one can 'cheat' the hacking feature on some watches but it does strain the canon pinions on some watches. As for the unique co-axial movement I would doubt if it hacks....though it might. I do so on my 7S26 calibre movements on my Seiko automatics but I think it does them no favours in the long run and I certainly wouldn't risk it on a high end chronometer without knowing first.
"You never seem to display any high end pipes, but yet you would consider a watch that is in the way over $1000 range? It's ok. I was just curious."
Michael, you are so funny when you choose to be. I have several 'high end' pipes but a pipe is a block of wood with a hardened rubber extension....a chronometer is a piece of precision Swiss engineering with hundreds of meticulously made parts that are put together in such a manner that they are actually individually COSC certificated for their accuracy. The two products do not compare in my view. It's rather like comparing a car, Volkswagon or Rolls Royce to a coffee machine, De Longhi or some Chinese crap.
Jesse, the story of the Speedmaster in the bilge of the boat almost makes me want to weep :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been looking into getting a nice watch these days. Right now my newest watch is a g shock, and a simple timex. Watches are required on the railroad, and the g shock will take a beating (that's why I got it) but I'd enjoy an upgrade someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.