PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well, I'm a fan! I have enjoyed some HH Vintage Syrian for a month or so now and even some 2013 aged. Ive had the Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9 before but its been a while. My last order included the No 9. I just read something about it being close to Penzance and so I popped the jar on some Penzance here and sniffed. The tin note in fact is similar. I have a limited supply of Penzance but I decided to compare the two in a bowl since the tin note grabbed my attention.
Well, I like the Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9 better hands down. The Penzance was a little more moist which had some effect I'm sure, and maybe I am more in the mood for a wee more pronounced latakia at the moment, however all things considered(including price and availability) the No 9 is a winner to me. Quite mild as latakia blends go with little tongue bite but could stand a little more nic hit to my liking. I like it better than the Vintage Syrian which had been my fav lat blend recently. No 9 is said to have Syrian lat but reviews commented on doubts about that or complemented with Cyprian. Either way, I'm loving it.

Reactions: dbl-bbl

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Interesting that you heard it's similar to Penzance because others have compared it to the Lat bomb Old Ironsides, some even speculating that it is Old Ironsides in a different tin. Can anyone shed some light on that speculation. I have two tins aging and can't comment as I've not yet tried it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo tro - nope - both OI and to a lesser Pz are prominent with the Lat. No.9 is more sedate. My older tins which were more likely to have Syrian may have been less pronounced because Syrian is less smokey and punchy than Cyprian. But visually, I believe No.9 just has less Lat.
hp

les
PS - going trouts stocking today again. Yesterday almost wore me out but I've recovered and dried out the shoes and clothes that got wet.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Just to add to the ambiguity, I find OI and Pen completely different. OI being a lat bomb in the purest form and Pen having more of a tame personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.