Tags:  No tags yet. 

Breathe smoking Q&A

(31 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by judcasper
  • Latest reply from Embers
  1. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

I think the only way I'm going to make any progress with this technique (and I very much want to as I suspect it will produce the most enjoyable form of pipe smoking) is to ask a series of questions that address where much of my confusion lies.

1. Assuming you're clenching when breathe smoking, as opposed to holding the pipe in situ, are your lips sealed around the stem, or is performed with the Clint Eastwood cigar snarl?

2. If mouth sealed, you are presumably breathing through the nose only?

3. If breathing through the nose only, how is smoke drawn into the mouth?

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mouth is never sealed.
    And, smoke just leaks out... like my opinions and bad jokes do.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

1-sealed
    2-yes
    3-you create a vacuum in your mouth, your breathing is just used as a metronome for drawing, not drawing itself

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Assuming you're clenching when breathe smoking, as opposed to holding the pipe in situ, are your lips sealed around the stem, or is performed with the Clint Eastwood cigar snarl?

A: My lips are sealed around the pipe and my tongue is used to quickly plug the stem if I want to retrohale. Otherwise, every few breaths, I allow some to flow out of my mouth.

A: I do breath through my nose only when I'm breath smoking, other than exhaling as described above.

A: Even just breathing through your nose creates a pressure differential that draws smoke in to the mouth. More aggressive draws can be done, of course, but even just normal breathing cadence will move smoke back and forth.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It's like drawing a liquid through a straw. Hi Tom!

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

1. Assuming you're clenching when breath smoking, as opposed to holding the pipe in situ, are your lips sealed around the stem, or is performed with the Clint Eastwood cigar snarl?
    My mouth is generally closed, but it's not a necessary condition. I just try not to walk around with my mouth agape.

Yes. I only breathe through my nose while breath smoking. If I need to breath through my mouth (because of exertion), I either slow down or stop smoking.

Like Duane said, it's just like drinking through a straw. Slowly let your mouth fill with smoke (either actively or passively drawing smoke in), and when it gets comfortably full, get rid of it by blowing out, retrohaling, or just letting it leak out.

It really seems complicated until you 'get it'. At which point it's far and away the most natural way to smoke a pipe. Stick with it! Passive smoking revolutionized pipe smoking for me.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1. My lips are sealed around the stem most of the time and until I feel I want to let a little smoke seep out in which case I allow my lip to open ever so slightly. I do that every 20-40 seconds most probably. It's so subtle you probably wouldn't even see it and the only give away is a wisp of smoke. And it really is just a wisp.

2. Yes, I'm breathing through my nose.

Even just breathing through your nose creates a pressure differential that draws smoke in to the mouth. More aggressive draws can be done, of course, but even just normal breathing cadence will move smoke back and forth.

This. As you breathe through the nose, you are creating a subtle pressure difference in the mouth. Inhale through the nose is creating just enough of negative pressure in the mouth to gently draw small amounts of smoke into the mouth and keep the ember going. Exhaling through the nose is creating a positive pressure in the mouth and forcing a little air and smoke back into the pipe which also keeps the ember going. Occasionally wisps of smoke will also come out of my bowl.

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Something that hasn't been mentioned is that through the entire process, no smoke is intentionally inhaled.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm setting here testing whether there is any benefit to keeping my lips sealed around the pipe or not, and the smoke is only allowed to go back out through the pipe... which is ok. But, usually I am just walking around doing stuff while breathsmoking, and I am not really thinking about the process at all. My lips aren't sealed, nor is my my mouth agape. The smoke just sort of drifts out as I breath through my nose. Not sure why it would be best to force the smoke back out through the pipe. But, everyone has their own style of doing this. You're having to think about it as you learn, but soon enough, you just stick a pipe in your mouth, light it, and do or think about something else.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure why it would be best to force the smoke back out through the pipe

It's not necessarily. It's just a side effect of breathing out your nose with your lips sealed around the stem. It's just the physics of it. The effect can easily be mitigated but explaining that is a little trickier I think. I don't think many, if any of us who do this breathe smoking thing are really thinking about it. It's just the natural way we smoke the pipe and it does seem that each person has a slightly different way of going about it. For instance, I have seen Embers explain how he does it several times over the years and he seems to imply that he is sucking in some sort of manner. I have never found the need to do that.

I wonder how many have learned about this from another smoker and how many have just found it out themselves and I wonder what percentage of non-clenchers do it compared to clenchers. I clench my pipe about 90% of the time I'm smoking it and when I'm clenching I'm breathe smoking. When I'm not clenching I don't believe I ever really breathe smoke.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

he seems to imply that he is sucking in some sort of manner.

Not at all. Only creating enough vacuum to coax the smoke out. No where near the force of drinking with a straw.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I remember someone recommending that new pipe smokers clench heir pipes when they smoke and then the breathe smoking part will just come naturally. I am a clencher and after watching a Stuff and Things episode on the subject, I totally agree with him, breathe smoking is not necessarily a technique but a normal cadence that most experienced pipe smokers, especially clenchers do naturally. I do this but I’ve never called it breathe smoking. Still get more out of it than just a tiny whisper of smoke though.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Very informative set of answers. Thank you, peeps.

As it turns out my somewhat guessed attempts at doing this weren't far off the mark. I just wanted some guides to see how close I'd got.

Just one thing, though. As mentioned by others, this technique sometimes results in pipe smoke going in the other direction, i.e back out of the bowl. When this happens to me it often results in my pipe going out. Any suggestions to prevent this?

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, just park the pipe there and forget it whilst you go about your business?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would think forcing smoke back through your pipe would be a very bad idea, given how much moisture is in your mouth/breath.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

When this happens to me it often results in my pipe going out.

May be packed too loose.

So, just park the pipe there and forget it whilst you go about your business?

Yep

[quote]I would think forcing smoke back through your pipe would be a very bad idea, given how much moisture is in your mouth/breath.

Less forcing and more ebb and flow. I exaggerated the process in the video I did just to emphasize the process. When I'm actually smoking you'll rarely see any smoke at all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, some tobaccos that I smoke give off more smoke than others. Some are a heavier smoke, some thin. I think the point of where that bit of information comes from is encouraging one not to focus on making a freight train's worth of smoke. But, I wouldn't focus on that one part too much. When I smoke Burley Flake #1, the smoke is as thick as coalsmoke. But, I still try to keep it sparse... for my own enjoyment. The idea is to leave the smoke in your mouth, not worry so about expelling so quickly. Savor the flavor. Let it just flow out on its own. You absorb more nicotine this way, and some get more enjoyment. But, as always, YMMV.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Keeps the pipe and smoke cooler too.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

May be packed too loose.

Resulting in which; smoke coming out of the bowl or it going out?

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Going out.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Okay, ta.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky, some tobaccos that I smoke give off more smoke than others. Some are a heavier smoke, some thin. I think the point of where that bit of information comes from is encouraging one not to focus on making a freight train's worth of smoke. But, I wouldn't focus on that one part too much. When I smoke Burley Flake #1, the smoke is as thick as coalsmoke. But, I still try to keep it sparse... for my own enjoyment. The idea is to leave the smoke in your mouth, not worry so about expelling so quickly. Savor the flavor. Let it just flow out on its own. You absorb more nicotine this way, and some get more enjoyment. But, as always, YMMV.

I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This of course has all been said before in other threads, but the only thing I would add to everything in this thread thus far is that I had a difficult time with "breath smoking" and clenching until I started drying the tobacco more. For me, dryer tobacco was the single biggest factor in solving most of my issues.

I'll admit I have little patience for lots of relights...but aside from that, multiple relights and puffing to keep it lit were also the greatest cause of tongue burn for me. Drying solved that issue as well.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  24. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

However, savoring the flavor works for me when I do a slow retrohale. I'm also a big proponent of leaving the smoke in my mouth and letting the flavors come to you, I like what Greg Pease calls it, "chewing the smoke". But in my opinion, less smoke doesn't necessarily mean more flavor, especially if there is hardly any in your mouth to "chew"... cool smoke, yeah but for my make up, a thick, slow retrohale is where I get those flavors that gives me the chills, stops time, and brings me closer to God.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

When i retrohale, my lips kinda come unsealed a bit and that's just kinda how it goes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would think forcing smoke back through your pipe would be a very bad idea, given how much moisture is in your mouth/breath.

I concur. As a matter of fact, isn't blowing into the pipe a way to re-moisten tobacco that's too dry?

What I noticed with the breath method, when I finally got it working were two things: it takes several breaths to get a 'sizable' amount of smoke into one's mouth; and, the taste was somewhat different than that which I get with my normal sippuffs.

Alas, I had to take the pipe out of my mouth to swirl the smoke around and be able to taste it. I just couldn't taste anything whilst I was breathing with the pipe 'parked' in my mouth.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Sounds like your tobacco's not dry enough.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, yeah. That bowl wasn't dry by any means. I had to be constantly relighting, but I just didn't have time to dry it. I was running late and just grabbed the jar on my way out.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I'm working my way through a tin, I usually keep a small amount in a separate jar for drying. When the dry stuff gets low I dump some in there from the tin and let it dry overnight so that I have a daily amount and don't have to dry each bowl before smoking it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've done that too. My issue is not sticking to a single blend, but wanting to try them all.

I think I should elaborate on one point, though: the difference in taste from breath vs. sippuff wasn't a negative experience. It just struck me as interesting that the flavour nuances were, well, can't really find a proper word... I'll just settle for 'different'. I think the flavours were more subtle with the breath method.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

There's no blowing involved in sending the smoke back down the stem, and I cycle the smoke back and forth through the shank more than anything followed with a retrohale. Nothing subtle about the flavor after that.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, donjgiles, nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss