PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
That's interesting. Maybe they will produce better pipes. I wonder how companies other than smokingpipes.com feel about it.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I wonder what thats going to mean for the consumer? I cant imagine that they would be exclusive to smokingpipes.com
What this means is that all pipe retailers in the USA now have to purchase Savinelli's wholesale thru Laudisi Dist. (Sykes) instead of thru Savinelli USA. Pricing may or may not change but the overall quality of the pipes themselves should only get better according to Ms Rivolta.
Quite a feather in the cap for Sykes et al!!!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It should have no affect on distribution. Smokingpipes is now the US distributor so the pipes from Italy will go to them first and then to the retailers across the country.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
OK. I don't see how this would have any impact on the quality of the pipes, which I love. Seems to be strictly a commercial decision to go the full distribution route. Makes sense to me on that level.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
According to this news release, If all goes as planned, we the customer, should not see a change as far as availability and selection is concerned. Best of luck to Laudisi Enterprises and Savinelli on their new venture. Thank Goodness this wasn’t about another Pipe or Tobacco company going belly up. Thanks goes to Kevin for the news update. :puffy:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
You might see more innovation in their pipes because they have more time to concentrate on pipes like they said.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
That's interesting. Maybe they will produce better pipes. I wonder how companies other than smokingpipes.com feel about it.
I didn't realize there was a problem with their pipes?

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I didn't mean there was a problem with the pipes. I just meant that they can try and improve. There is always room to improve things especially when you have more time to concentrate on details.

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
I agree that "We" as Non Commercial Consumers probably won't see a price increase. If Smokingpipes purchase in greater bulk their price should go down. My question is I wonder how comparative will the prices become from other online shops like Pipes and Cigars for example. Who would be able to beat their prices? How much business could they potentially loose?

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for the news Kevin. Jonathan at Savinelli USA has always provided fantastic customer service for me. Hope this will continue with the change.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Savinelli is a good solid brand, and no offense to them, but their former US subsidiary seemed a little "sleepy" to me. I think Savinelli Pipes will see an increase in sales and market share with the marketing and business energy of my friend Sykes powering the brand.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
The former owner of Savinelli USA was a bit, shall I say, "difficult" at times to deal with regarding defective pipes (burnouts, etc.) often denying legitimate claims. He also required an unreasonably large first order to become a Savinelli retailer. His requirement for independent sales reps to carry only Savinelli, and NO other pipe brands was patently ridiculous and unfair. Over time, this policy didn't work out too well. Very few reps wanted to sell Savinelli, as it just wasn't profitable traveling around the country selling ONLY ONE brand of pipe. This type of sales model, unfortunately, doesn't exist anymore. Sales waned at the B&M's, and online retailers took over.
Sykes, based on his reputation, should be a definite improvement in distribution and customer service. I wish him much success.
CACooper

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
I remember my first order with Savinelli, back in 1995, required not only pipes, but a large selection of Corona lighters (also distributed by Savinelli USA) to be an "Authorized Savinelli Dealer". My opening order amounted to approx. $7,000, ($10,000 in 2012 dollars), quite a large sum for a cash strapped start-up. A lot of the lighters I didn't need or want, but was forced to accept. I STILL had a few 10 years later when I closed my shop.
Special ordering a certain shape and finish was virtually impossible. The sales rep selected his inventory for the year, and that was it. You chose from what he had in car stock, or ordered a required minimum of $500 ($1000 retail) worth of pipes at a time to get the one shape the customer wanted. Not too many B&M's could afford to do this, hence the long wait for the pipe you ordered.
Peterson, (distributed by Ashton),on the other hand, are much more accomodating. I could call them anytime and special order one pipe for a customer, no problem. Yes, they had to charge for freight, but it was a nominal amount. Most importantly, the customer received the pipe he wanted quickly and was happy.
CACooper

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Thank you for all the kind words, folks. We will work to improve the overall experience for retailers and, accordingly, consumers.
Just to reiterate one point though, while it's all under the same parent company and Susan Salinas, the new GM of Laudisi Distribution Group, is a Smokingpipes.com veteran, these really are two separate operations. We'll bring the same technology, organization and love of pipes to this, but they really are two different things.
We're excited to be working closely with Savinelli. They have been working hard to improve the product range and improve quality over the past couple of years and I think they have great plans for the future. They are dedicated to making great pipes and we're excited to be have a role in that.
Thanks again.
Sykes

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Sounds like it is really going to be a good thing. Swilford you guys should try and get some more of Savinelli's Tundra line, especially the 320EX. People have been talking about wanting those but couldn't find them previously. Just a thought.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
From what I can see and I agree with others; it sounds like a good business move. I can't imagine much of a price change in the pipes now, nor will there be a change in the quality. I have two Savinelli's and I love both of mine. Excellent pipes for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.