PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
And to think people in the U.S got their panties in a twist over a few tax issues with the Brit's and chucked all that tea in the harbor whilst here is a genuinely worrying development!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Paranoia is good, because people act in self-interest, and that includes parasitism.
One of the reasons I dislike George Orwell is that he wrote what is basically a distraction: fear the centralized power. Those can be bad, but as Huxley wrote twelve years before, the real problem is people pursuing pleasures and forgetting consequences.
This in turn leads to voluntary adoption of destructive ways of life. The chip will not come from government, but from an easy way to pay for your coffee, get into your apartment or workplace, or an instant STD scan.
Then governments -- and possibly others -- can simply pick up on those signals, much as they do with cell phones today.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/technology/tracking-our-phones-how-stingray-devices-are-being-used-by-police/article29322747/

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Probably very true.
Interesting the scenarios that could arise:
* 10% off health care with a chip

* Offices charge you $200/month "convenience fee" if you are not chipped

* Tollway charges reduced by 50% if you scan with a chip

* Unlimited refills at Taco Bell with a chip

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
“Paranoids are the only ones who notice things anymore.”

― Anatole Broyard
I don’t know anything about Broyard, I just like that quote, because it’s so true...especially these days.
The issue of “biochips” is just one of many things that in the past you were called crazy if you predicted it...and now the same people who said it would never happen will call you paranoid if you think there’s anything wrong with it.

May 4, 2015
The technology being useful and the technology being used for nefarious purposes are two different things. Did anyone bother to research what this is actually about?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Did anyone bother to research what this is actually about?"
I did Tom and what worries me is what it will invariably lead to.
Give it time and we will all be microchipped at birth by lawful decree...and that worries me.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Right now, most people are easily tracked by facial recognition software, their cell phones, or slapping a GPS on their car.
Proverbs for Paranoids
1. You may never get to touch the Master, but you can tickle his creatures.
2. The innocence of the creature is in inverse proportion to the immorality of the Master.
3. If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
4.You hide, They seek.
5. Paranoids are not paranoids because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations.
http://gravitys-rainbow.pynchonwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Proverbs_for_Paranoids

Status
Not open for further replies.