PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I have a new Vauen that I plan to dedicate to Virginia blends. I also have an unopened tin of Frog Morton on the Bayou that I have been saving for a special occasion.
I have heard that the Frog Morton series are cased. Would it be ok to break in my new pipe with Frog Morton, or should I use a different Virginia blend? My other options are a new tin of Escudo and a fresh batch of Luxury Bullseye Flake.

Jan 8, 2013
Personally, I would save the Frog for a pipe that's already broken in and a good smoker. It's too good and too rare for a not so stellar smoke.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
If you plan to dedicate the pipe to Va's, I would recommend not to use the same pipe to smoke Frog Morton blends. The Froggie series, even On the Bayou, contain latakia which I find tends to ghost a pipe even in small amounts. I have a rule to never use a latakia blend in my Va-only pipes as it obscures the more-subtle Va flavors, in my opinion.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I would only smoke frog morton blends out of a pipe you want to taste like latakia, not your virginia dedicated pipe.

I find the frog morton needs a bit of drying out otherwise it is a constant relight. Lovely smoke though.
Isaac

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can find no logic for breaking in a pipe you're going to dedicate to VA with Frog Morton. You would potentially ghost the pipe with latakia. Given the difficulty in obtaining FM, I see little logic with breaking in any pipe with it. However, your money, your pipe and your tobacco.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
As an aside, seems like my flake pipes are not the best for the Frog anyway. FM always seems to perform better in a big open bowl. Complete opposite of my flake pipes.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Everything can ghost a pipe, so its just a matter of working with it. Frog Morton has a goodly portion of latakia in it, so go ahead an create a nice peaty, smoky ghost in a pipe that you want to smoke other latakia blends in.
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.