Breaking in ? (Another newbie frustration)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
OK, so I need to ask this question once again. Even with all the differing opinions out there of "half bowls first" all the way to "just stuff and puff".
Background:

As a newbie I've been fortunate enough to get some nice pipes since I started. In particular a Sav 626 and a Peterson XL02 for Christmas. A couple of months ago my wife bought a Peterson 999 and I bought a Sav 616. Total of two new Savs to break in, two new Petersons. That's the background.
/Start Rant

Here's the frustration, question, rant:
Both Savinelli's have been hard on me to get to smoke properly, cool and without too many relights. I've smoked three bowls in the 626 and all three required frequent relights, to the point where it got frustrating. Two puffs, relight, two puffs, relight. Or really hot smoking with me lurking like a freight train trying to stop the pipe from going out. Tried different tobacco's in the Sav (1-Q, Mark Twain and just now Kendal's Kentucky) and all three gave me the same problem. Tried really loose, to tighter packing. The 616 ? Same issue. To the point where an experienced pipe smoker told me that larger bowls are harder to keep lit, so I put it away for now. But that 626 is not any bigger than any of my other pipes. So I'm thinking his argument may be flawed. My Pete's... not an issue. Pack nicely with some 1-Q, light, smoke away. Perhaps two or three relights in the bowl right from the get go.
Has anyone had any similar experiences ?
Could it be that the "pre-coating" in the Petes does indeed help newbies like me ? I'm leaning towards this since my BC and FeRo came pre-coated as well and did not pose any of the frustration I have with the Savinelli's.
Or am I just plain doing something wrong during the break-in process ? Or what should I do with the naked briar pipes ?
Any help would be appreciated since right now. Having a gorgeous Miele 626 sitting on my rack which I can't smoke frustrates the heck out of me. I'm second guessing buying the Savinelli's and hesitating to buy another one anytime soon. Which would be a shame with all the nice ones they have out there.
/End Rant
And a happy new year to you all ;-) Happy puffing :puffpipe:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know Lawrence's answer. Just keep smoking the 1Q lol.
That'll probably be debated until the end of time lol. I've done both methods. Half bowls for the first 5-10 smokes with my three Petes, and with my Savinelli Caramella 920 that I'm currently breaking in I've tried the stuff and puff approach. Haven't had any problems with the 920 yet, other than the bowl is a little warm in the hand which I'm guessing would be because the cake isn't built up yet. Kinda strange it happens with the Savs for you and the Petes smoke fine. My original guess would have been lack of tamping, but since the Pete's smoke fine it's probably not it. Only other thing I could think of is maybe if the Savs have the balsa wood filter that difference might affect it a little. Couldn't hurt to try putting in the provided bit and doing away with the filters if you haven't already.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sometimes it just seems to work like that. I don't worry about relights, I just do it and go on. I would definitely avoid puffing too hard/fast trying to keep it lit. As far as breaking the pipe in, I'd recommend getting some Carter Hall, and allowing a bowl full to dry about half an hour before smoking if it seems moist. In my experience, Cater Hall is one of the best to break a pipe in with. If all else fails, and you give up on the Savinelli, I'm sure you'd have no problem finding a taker here (myself included). I'm sure you'll get more suggestions from others and I hope you find what works for you.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
ya same, id remove filters till u git the pipe broke in, thats just my opinion, increases ur draw if ur havein prob keepin em lit, u got good quality smokers there so thats not it. Are u smokin it too careful for fear of damagin em pre break-in?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
OK, time for some hard truths and this comes with all due kindness and concern. Trust me, these are things I wish someone told me 25 years ago...
It's you.
It's not the pipe. It's not the pre-carb coating. It's not the break-in (or lack of break-in). It's not the number of relights.
It's you. This is not a value judgement or a comment about your character. Until you can consistently pack, char-light, puff, tamp, light, puff, tamp, ad infinitum then you're going to have all the problems you've described.
So why do the Petersons smoke better than the Savinellis? Who knows? They're both well made brands and entirely serviceable. Again, it's you.
The good news is that you DON'T have the handicap of trying to smoke cheaply produced, chemically adulterated overly sweetened tobaccos. Because the problem could have been you AND the tobacco. But luckily it sounds like you're smoking pretty good stuff, so in your case the problem is just you.
But the good news is that there is a very easy solution to overcoming the problem that is you. Practice. Keep perfecting your pack, keep lighting, tamping and relighting, and it will get better. It will much better. So much better that you'll be able to pack ANY tobacco into ANY pipe and still get a GREAT smoke out of the experience.
So keep smoking. Through nothing but sheer repetition it will get much, MUCH better.
Smoke and be well.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I have a Savinelli that I wanted to smoke 1-Q in, but it always gurgled and wouldn't smoke to the bottom. I tried smoking my English blends in it and it does much better for some reason.
The English blends may have been a bit drier. But I'm sure it wasn't the breaking in process.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
bigvan;
kinda to the point but 99.5% right, i remember when i first started pipe, didnt matter what i smoked or smoked it in. I cursed, i fumed, i lit a cigarette etc, anyway, just instinct now, everything smokes in anything.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Bigvan,
No offense taken ;-) As my wife and kids point out all the time.. I'm sure it's me ;-)
I keep puffing away at it. If the Sav frustrates me, put it away for a couple of days. I'm blessed to have some other pipes to enjoy until I get the same out of the Sav.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
@ mluyckx
When you get back to your Sav, try packing it a lot more lightly (loosely) than you think you need to.

When I was first starting packing too tight was my biggest problem and I think that is true for a lot of beginners.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
So far my experience with breaking in a new pipe, is just to get used to the idea that the first 1-3 fills are gonna taste kinda nasty.
After that, you should be good. And you probably don't want to smoke those first fills too fast for the sake of protecting your pipe.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
new pipe i ALWAYS break my baccy into tiny pieces so i can gravity feed the bowl, now matter what the baccy is. Then i know for sure im gittin proper pack. I gravity fill to brim then tamp lightly and put in a bit more.Then char light and just touch tamp it. then i light er an away i go.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I don't worry about relights, I just do it and go on. I would definitely avoid puffing too hard/fast trying to keep it lit.
Patience, patience,patience - and then more patience. :D

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
First thing I would do is dry out your baccy for a while b4 loading up your bowl. Perhaps 20-30 minutes in a tray to let it breath. Give it a shot. This should help.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Savinelli clams that thier pipes do not need any special breaking in. Just fill the bowl and enjoy.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Are you tamping? I tamp and draw simultaneously right at the begining and then again in the middle somewhere. If you dont tamp it will definitely go out

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Thanks for all the advice and attempts at trying to help ! I really continue to appreciate the forum and all you guys.
See the other post on to dry or not to dry, but drier tobacco seemed to be helpful. Four or five relights in a 45 minute smoke. I can live with that ;-)
PS: yep, I tamp whenever I feel the ember kinda going away, just lightly, perhaps three four times a bowl. Or whenever I put down the pipe and go in the house to get a coffee refill.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The thing to do is count and sip ,count and sip ,Soon you will find your own rythem . Your may be every 15 seconds or 30 . Hang in there .

Status
Not open for further replies.