PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
I just ordered my first Savinelli last night. It's a bent rusticated Trevi. While checking out the pictures I noticed it did not have a carbonized bowl. As this is going to be my first pipe like that, is there is anything I should do different to break it in from what I'm used to?
I ordered it in one of those gift sets from pipesandcigars.com and it's coming with 2 tins of Sutliff private stock, some BJ Long pipe cleaners, a cork knocker and a pipe tool. I also picked up some Peterson Irish Whiskey baccy and Hearth & Home Manor Heights along with various small things to get the free shipping.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
It's hard to say weather to do anything different than your used to without you telling 'what your used to" HaHaaa. But I always break in a briar by loading just half way a couple of smokes, then 2/3rds a few, working my way to a full bowl.
TopD

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Well, yeah, I guess I should have choosen my words a little more carefully, sorry bout that. What I'm meaning is there anything one would have to do to a non-carbonized bowl that wouldn't have to be done to a carbonized one. I usually do the half then a little more, then a little more breaking in with every pipe I get.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
My Take: Nothing special from what I said earlier DonGreyface.... Load your pipe, touch a match to it, tamp lightly and smoke slowly. "Enjoy!"

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
And thanks dervis, I hope I enjoy the Sutlif as well as the other baccys. Frog Morton kinda has me spolied right now. Everything I bought before that just doesn't seem as good to me right now.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
How long have the Sutliff blends been available? I am just now hearing about them, but they seem pretty popular.

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
Honestly, the first I ever heard of it was in the description of that gift set. But I figured it's a good price for a decent amount of stuff so what the hell, I'll take a chance on something new.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Yeah, I hear ya there! I still haven't really found anything that I DON'T like. If you could let me know how the Sutliff you ordered is, that would be great. I might be inclined to try it!

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I just fill it up, and smoke it all the way down. As mentioned, keep it from getting too hot.

I also very much prefer a bare bowl over pre-carbonized or coated bowls. Some coated bowls taste horrid.

I also love to see what the briar tastes like as I'm getting the pipe broken in. Some have been wonderfully memorable in the interplay of the briar and the tobacco.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
According to Savinelli's website...their pipes require no breaking in.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I've had several Savinellis over the years.All but one took almost no breaking in.One of them took a long time.It smokes great now though.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Breaking in a pipe is one of those areas that tends be a personal preference rather than a hard and fast rule with the exception of not letting to bowl get too hot. I agree with danno about smoking it all the way to the bottom of the bowl, in fact if you only have enough time to smoke half a bowl, then only pack half a bowl. I also prefer the bowl of a new pipe to be bare wood rather than treated, IMO the tobacco just tastes better. Breaking in a new pipe can be fun so enjoy yourself... :puffy:

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
I do the half then three quarter then full bowls smoked slow and all the way down method. I have the same pipe and it took like 100 bowls before if even thought about smoking good and I cant even think about smoking it without the filters or all is lost. I hope you have a much better experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.